Moparts

512 STROKER START UP QUESTION

Posted By: strokerchall

512 STROKER START UP QUESTION - 07/24/13 06:03 PM

A 512 stroker I recently purchsed has been sitting for over a year,it has a 1000 miles on it.Can i getr away with just spinning
it over with the
coil wire off to lube the top end or do I need to prime it?
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: 512 STROKER START UP QUESTION - 07/24/13 06:09 PM

If it was me I would prime it. It's not that big a deal.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: 512 STROKER START UP QUESTION - 07/24/13 07:46 PM

Its not that big a deal, prime it. Cheap Insurance
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 512 STROKER START UP QUESTION - 07/24/13 07:55 PM

One head oils when #8 is firing (DR side iirc) & one head oils when #6 is firing. going by the rotor position with a 1&1/4" socket/breaker bar turn to whichever of the two is closest & preoil then hand turn to the other position & preoil. I like to do 8 first then go 3/4 turn clockwise to #6 (timing slit will be on zero on the timing tab) & when done preoiling that side then back up the crank CCW slightly to 10 BTDC mild cam/15 wild cam) & clock the intergear so the rotor is under #6 & the magnet is dead even with the tooth
Posted By: Magnum

Re: 512 STROKER START UP QUESTION - 07/25/13 05:07 AM

The problem with priming with the starter. Is it takes a long time to reach full pressure. You crank for an eternity with no pressure. Lobes, dry, bearings dry, piston walls dry. When you finally do have pressure, the damage is done.

I also am pretty confindent some things like rings and piston skirts will never get oil from cranking. That's why prelubing and an INSTANT FIRE UP is important.
© 2024 Moparts Forums