Moparts

Replacement fan clutch

Posted By: mnguy55

Replacement fan clutch - 07/23/13 02:12 AM

The original (I think) fan clutch in my 70 Charger R/T 440 w A/C just seized up and started to howl like mad. The car is stock and I'm just looking for as close as possible parts store replacement but when I look at Napa and Oreily they have a ton of different ones that supposedly fit. Can anyone recommend a specific one from either store that will functionally be about the equivalent to the stock original one.
Posted By: magnum440d100

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/23/13 02:23 AM

I got a mopar performance one. It replaced a spacer, so I can't comment on it being better than a stock fan clutch, but it sure is quiet. Got it second hand from a friend that couldn't use it on his car. It is brand new, and the difference from a spacer is amazing. I reccomend it if you can swing it
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/23/13 02:26 AM

If your original unit happens to have the part number on it, it could be cross referenced. RockAuto is pretty good at listing the OEM numbers as a cross.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/23/13 10:45 AM

Quote:

If your original unit happens to have the part number on it, it could be cross referenced. RockAuto is pretty good at listing the OEM numbers as a cross.

Just ordered a HAYDEN 2706 for a buddy, if you like I can let you know how it fits when it comes in this week.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/23/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

The original (I think) fan clutch in my 70 Charger R/T 440 w A/C just seized up and started to howl like mad. The car is stock and I'm just looking for as close as possible parts store replacement but when I look at Napa and Oreily they have a ton of different ones that supposedly fit. Can anyone recommend a specific one from either store that will functionally be about the equivalent to the stock original one.

Major issue is its height...
Check the original OE closely..
Put it face down and measure.
Also most replacements are universal and have slotted mounting holes for mounting to the water pump..
Whereas the OE had 4 holes.

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/24/13 03:47 PM

I was told Parts Master 1705, have yet to get it to check out.
Jim
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/24/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

I was told Parts Master 1705, have yet to get it to check out.
Jim

You have to check it for the mentioned points. Again height is crucial as to get proper radiator/shroud clearance, plus one is able to change out the fan belt without a hassle..

Just my $0.02..
Posted By: btomasko

Re: Replacement fan clutch - 07/25/13 10:04 AM

Tonys parts has a reproduction clutch fan ,that might help its $200. check with him.
© 2024 Moparts Forums