Moparts

dyed arm rests?

Posted By: superbeejim

dyed arm rests? - 07/21/13 02:12 AM

I have some black arm rests that were dyed white years ago and there is some areas that the black has shown thru. Is there a product that works on vinyl that you can put various shades of white on it to match the other stuff or do you have to do it all? I see that Rust-Olium has a spray can that is supposed to work on vinyl or is there a better spray dye out there I should get? Thanks, Jim
Posted By: 440whiteboy

Re: dyed arm rests? - 07/21/13 03:03 PM

Its been some time since I have done this.
I think Eastwood has paint cans to use.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: dyed arm rests? - 07/21/13 04:19 PM

SEM spray dye works well... (I did the ones in my Torana years ago from a sort of chamois color to black and have held up great)

(I have used the ones from Classic Industries too since they are local to me and needed some quickly, and that worked fine, might be made by sem,eastwood, etc perhaps?)

Going from black to white will be harder than the other way around, might need a couple of coats of course.
Posted By: blaze

Re: dyed arm rests? - 07/21/13 11:56 PM

SEM? How or where do I find them?
Posted By: Eagleone1983

Re: dyed arm rests? - 07/22/13 08:58 PM

I did mine in SEM. Went from brown to black. Looked good for a little bit but now they are starting to get scratched up. I prepped the crap out of it and it still scratched off. Same thing happened to my horn pad, however all the hard plastic parts like the kick panels and steering column cover are holding up nice.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: dyed arm rests? - 07/22/13 11:05 PM

Try PPG elastromeric lacquer.I have sprayed many colors and had very good results.It is only available at a PPG automotive retailer.They can also put it in a spray can.Not cheap but has excellent adhesion.
Posted By: clonewars

Re: dyed arm rests? - 07/22/13 11:30 PM

May sound weird give plasti dip a try you can buy it Lowe's or walmart or go online and you can get a kit and create your own shade I used plasti dip on many things wheels,,rubber,outside trim I even painted a car with it best thing about it is its a rubber compound and if you don't like Result just peel it off like a piece of vinyl it's simple and easy and last forever
© 2024 Moparts Forums