Moparts

'67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP

Posted By: Copper Dart

'67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 03:55 PM

I have a '67 B-Body with drum brakes. I want to up-grade them to Disc. I read several swaps that leave me confused. It seems everyone has a different parts list requirement for the up-grade. Can someone CLEARLY list the required parts necessary to swap to a later Mopar platform? I have a '73 B-Body wagon with Disc's but I don't know what parts I must use. I believe two different single piston (common) styles of brakes were used in the 72-76 mopars that may work. Slider type caliper or pin type. I have the pin type on the wagon.
Help Please

Attached picture 7777227-0603131957-00.jpg
Posted By: a12rag

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:01 PM

Seeing how you have the 73 b body wagon already, just take the spindles and everything for the front brakes that goes with the spindles - the rotors, splash shields, caliper adapter, etc . . . need to use the correct master cylinder (same as your 73, and take the proportioning valve from the 73 too) . . . easy as pie !

Cheers

Mark
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:04 PM

The major issue is the spindles on the 73 are 3/8" taller than the spindle on the 67 but there are many ,many people running that taller spindle without issue. You can just pop the 2 ball joints loose of the 73 B and swap it right over to your 67 . use the lower ball joint from the 73. The calipers on the 73 are probably mounted to the front , if so and you have a stock front swaybar , or there is one in the future , you'll need to swap the spindles side to side to mount them to the rear and get the appropriate rubber brake line to make it work.

The distributions block on the 67 is just that a distribution block so you'll need a proportioning valve to make it work properly and obviously change the master cylinder over.

Are you going manual disc or power ?
Posted By: vdriver

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:06 PM

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:10 PM

Picture of '73 Wagon Right Front Disc (caliper toward the rear)

Attached picture 7777244-130714_0004.jpg

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:18 PM

WOW! thanks for the quick responses. GREAT LINK
I'm not using the sway bar from the wagon so should I try to mount the calipers toward the front? Can I mount them forward of the axle with the parts I have?
thanks again
ricky

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

Are you going manual disc or power ?

Manual preferred, The booster is quite large.

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

WOW! thanks for the quick responses. GREAT LINK
I'm not using the sway bar from the wagon so should I try to mount the calipers toward the front? Can I mount them forward of the axle with the parts I have?
thanks again
ricky

No you need to mount them to the rear with your STOCK swaybar .

The issue you will run into , and it's talked about in that article linked, is the brake line routing . If you notice the line on the 73 is in front of the spindle , it's behind the spindle on your 67. the swaybar terminates out near the end of the spindle on the 67 , in the middle on the 73 which is why they are mounted to the front on many models after 1970 ... not A bodies ...

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 05:16 PM

no sway bar on the '67

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 05:34 PM

Quote:

no sway bar on the '67

are you planning on adding one ?
Posted By: therocks

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 05:47 PM

That and get a set of Ceramic pads for them.I ran Raybestos best pad for about 5 years.Then got ceramics from Advanced.They work better and no dust.I run the tall spindles on my 65.They replaced the shorter A body spindles I had on it first.Been at least 5 years and no problems.I think it even handles better with them.Rocky

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 06:12 PM

Now to throw a stick in the spokes.
I am in the middle of my '70 Swinger small block to Big block 440 swap. I have '74 Duster slider type disc brakes lined up for the Dart. I'm thinking that I might use the slider A-body set up on the '67 Satellite. Using the heavier wagon Disc brake and 11" rear Drum set-up on the 440 Dart. Am I asking for trouble?
I figured since the '67 is staying near a stock driver and the Swinger is kinda a Pro Street 500HP +/- I would use the lighter set-up on the 318 Auto A/C Satellite driver.

Mount the calipers to the rear of the spindle right?

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 06:16 PM

johnrr,
I haven't considered it till now. what do you say?
I don't have an early B front sway bar avail. Easy and reasonable to find? The wagons sway bar I dont think it would fit.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 07:05 PM

no i wouldnt start switching the A with the B----on the A conversion did you get the upper control arms as well? if not you have more fiddling around to get the A going and stopping...bob

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 07:34 PM

Inventory;
1- stock '67 Satellite 318 Auto A/C Drum all 4 wheels. Driver/cruiser.
2- '70 Dart Swinger was- 318 727 8-3/4 now Built 440, 727, Mini tubbed show/street fighter.
3- Stock '73 Satellite wagon bb 727 8-3/4. Disc ft and 11"drum rear Donor/Parts car.
4- front Disc brakes complete from a 74 Duster.

I want Disc's on both the Swinger and the '67 and wonder what some of you MUCH wiser than I would do. I'm not planning to modify the Satellite much from stock. Wheels, exhaust and Brakes should suffice for the next several years. The Dart on the other hand is open game!

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 07:38 PM

Will the 73 b-body spindle and brakes fit the '70 dart. (yes I have the large upper ball joint and control arms)
Then I could use the '74 Dusters brakes on the Satellite?

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

Will the 73 b-body spindle and brakes fit the '70 dart. (yes I have the large upper ball joint and control arms)
Then I could use the '74 Dusters brakes on the Satellite?

The 2 spindles are exactly the same except for the height, I assume the wagon has 11" brakes ? If so all you need to do is put the caliper adapter from the wagon onto the A body spindle and put the larger rotor on it .

Be careful with brake bias running the big discs with the 11" rear drums .

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 08:26 PM

Tell me if I got this right. Keep the A-Body spindles for the Dart. Remove the slider caliper adapters, calipers, dust shields and rotors and replace them with the Adapters, calipers, dust shields and the rotors from the '73 wagon?
So the spindles will be correct for the A-body adding the bigger brakes (pin type) from the wagon. A little more work but sounds good. The bearings and hubs same? This is to keep the shorter spindle on the Dart and the 3/8 taller one for the Satellite?
ricky

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 09:13 PM

thanks so much johnrr. and Moparts
Posted By: dynorad

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 09:25 PM

When I did my 67 I fabbed a new brake hose mount up at the front and ran a short piece of brake line from there to the stock mount, thus allowing a stock flexible hose to be used.

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 09:49 PM

the steel lines are attached to the frame rail behind the spindle on both the '70 Dart and the '67 Satellite. The '73 B-Wagon are attached forward of the spindles with the Brake Calipers behind the spindle. *It seems where the steel lines attach to the frame determines where it's best to install the calipers.*
steel line to the rear, caliper to the front and vise a versa right???
you would think you might encounter clearance problems if the hoses/calipers are on the same side of the spindle as the steel lines are fixed to the frame rail?
now i'm very confused

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 09:50 PM

I PM'ed Doc Diff

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 10:01 PM

I like the part of the article that mentions using an adjustable rear proportioning valve just aft of the OEM and keeping the stock one in place for the Brake Warning lamp circuit.

This Mopar site and it's contributors are PRICELESS for the classic car enthusiast <sp>.
Thanks Moparts

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 11:43 PM

Quote:

the steel lines are attached to the frame rail behind the spindle on both the '70 Dart and the '67 Satellite. The '73 B-Wagon are attached forward of the spindles with the Brake Calipers behind the spindle. *It seems where the steel lines attach to the frame determines where it's best to install the calipers.*
steel line to the rear, caliper to the front and vise a versa right???
you would think you might encounter clearance problems if the hoses/calipers are on the same side of the spindle as the steel lines are fixed to the frame rail?
now i'm very confused

Yes you have that thinking right BUT the factory made a change to that line of thinking in the early 70's.

The original disc brake setup on both your dart and 67 had the steel line on the rear AND the caliper mounted to the rear , if they were mounted on the front they would have hit the swaybar endlink at least on the B body, A body was mounted in same spot but lower, interference ??

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 11:44 PM

Quote:

When I did my 67 I fabbed a new brake hose mount up at the front and ran a short piece of brake line from there to the stock mount, thus allowing a stock flexible hose to be used.

I like that idea , the tab could be removed if one wanted to return to stock .

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/15/13 11:48 PM

Quote:

Tell me if I got this right. Keep the A-Body spindles for the Dart. Remove the slider caliper adapters, calipers, dust shields and rotors and replace them with the Adapters, calipers, dust shields and the rotors from the '73 wagon?
So the spindles will be correct for the A-body adding the bigger brakes (pin type) from the wagon. A little more work but sounds good. The bearings and hubs same? This is to keep the shorter spindle on the Dart and the 3/8 taller one for the Satellite?
ricky

You do not have to swap the splash shields unless one is uglier than the other , the splash shields are the same even though one rotor is larger than the other.

I don't know how tough it will be to find a pin type caliper in the configuration you need. Dr. diff repopped the larger caliper adapter for the slider caliper.

Bearings are the same , the rotors on both should be one piece and the only difference is the diameter of the disc itself.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 03:08 AM

Quote:

<snip!>

If you mount the calipers on the rear, on a car with the frame hydraulic hose brackets also on the rear, there's no correct way to hook up a hose. The brake hose should cross the steering axis! No matter what you do, check for going taut, rubbing, snagging, etc. and full steering ock L/R, full jounce, full rebound, and all combos.

You can move the frame bracket to the front (new hardlines, etc.), but then it isn't quite a "bolt on" any more.

Remember that the bleeder screw must always be at the top -- you wouldn't believe how often that "detail" is overlooked.

Rick E.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 03:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

<snip!>

If you mount the calipers on the rear, on a car with the frame hydraulic hose brackets also on the rear, there's no correct way to hook up a hose. The brake hose should cross the steering axis! No matter what you do, check for going taut, rubbing, snagging, etc. and full steering ock L/R, full jounce, full rebound, and all combos.

You can move the frame bracket to the front (new hardlines, etc.), but then it isn't quite a "bolt on" any more.

Remember that the bleeder screw must always be at the top -- you wouldn't believe how often that "detail" is overlooked.

Rick E.

I thought Dr.Diff had it worked out with a 68 GTO hose that worked with the rear mount calipers?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 05:02 AM

Depends on the calipers. I think the OP wanted to stay with the calipers that he had on hand. If a person is willing to change calipers then you can get the later model FMJ calipers which were designed to be rear hung.

I covered this topic in my B-body book complete with pictures.

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

<snip!>

Rick E.

Rick maybe you need to clarify a part of the statement to say "with the single piston caliper"?? As you know the 66-69 B bodies had rear mounted hardline and caliper from the factory, same with pre 73 A bodies ... it seemed to work ??
Posted By: therocks

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 01:06 PM

I agree make sure the bleeders are up.After all the years as a tech I was 1/2 blind doing my change.Took me about 1/2 gallon brake fluid to find I had the bleeders down.Rocky

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 04:49 PM

I don't have a sway bar for either the '70 Swinger nor the '67 Satellite. I will try to mount the calipers toward the front (opposite of the fixed steel line mounting to the frame rail). If I up-grade later to a sway bar I will be better prepared for fitment issues. For now getting both cars back on 4 wheels with the Discs installed and driving is my goal.
Can someone explain why I must use the spindles from the '73 B on the '67 B and the '74 A on the '70 A? Just asking, what difference does it make which car ends up with the 3/8" taller spindles?
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 04:54 PM

Hose routing is fine if you install a rear mount caliper with a fluid port that exits the bottom (ie '80 and newer Volare/Diplomat slider). Use a 15" flex hose (ie '69 Camaro application).

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

I don't have a sway bar for either the '70 Swinger nor the '67 Satellite. I will try to mount the calipers toward the front (opposite of the fixed steel line mounting to the frame rail). If I up-grade later to a sway bar I will be better prepared for fitment issues. For now getting both cars back on 4 wheels with the Discs installed and driving is my goal.
Can someone explain why I must use the spindles from the '73 B on the '67 B and the '74 A on the '70 A? Just asking, what difference does it make which car ends up with the 3/8" taller spindles?

Putting the calipers to the front will not make you better prepared for fitment issues unless your goal is to have fitment issues if you decide to install a factory style , year correct , sway bar of either vehicle and unless the 70 A body is just going to be a drag race only , driven in a straight line vehicle you be wise to put a swaybar on it .+

It really doesn't matter which car you put the taller spindles on, you asked and I told you what I would do.

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 05:25 PM

Not worrying about caliper placement, if you remove the lower ball joints, can the spindles be used on either side?

Re: '67 Satellite Disc brake upgrade HELP - 07/16/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

Not worrying about caliper placement, if you remove the lower ball joints, can the spindles be used on either side?

Yes
© 2024 Moparts Forums