Moparts

Carter carb question

Posted By: 69Mannix

Carter carb question - 07/09/13 10:34 PM

Have a used afb on a 340 with purple shaft in a ramcharger. Have to keep the rpm up that it will not stall in gear. Have to keep it in gear to keep from dieseling when shutting down. Is there a fix for this? Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Carter carb question - 07/09/13 11:48 PM

What's your initial? More (15-20) may help with both. I'm assuming you've opened the idle mix screws to no avail. How many turns is the idle speed screw opened from the throttle just closed position

Re: Carter carb question - 07/10/13 03:12 AM

I wanted to ask first, the throttle screw is 2 1/2 turns from close.

Re: Carter carb question - 07/10/13 09:49 PM

btt
Posted By: feets

Re: Carter carb question - 07/11/13 04:55 AM

Quote:

I wanted to ask first, the throttle screw is 2 1/2 turns from close.

Throttle screw? As in, to set the idle?
What about the two mixture screws on the front of the carb?

Make sure the transition slot is not exposed. If your throttle blades are letting a little air get through there you will have problems tuning it.

Re: Carter carb question - 07/11/13 05:52 AM

Have adjusted the mixture screws, but not sure about transition slot?
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Carter carb question - 07/11/13 06:00 AM

which purple shaft cam?

remove the caps off the metering rods...start engine and watch metering rods...are they sucked down into the jet?...or bouncing up and down...?

if the answer is yes...you need to change the step spring to lighter one to allow the metering rods to sit down into the jets while idling.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Carter carb question - 07/11/13 07:31 AM

Quote:

which purple shaft cam?

remove the caps off the metering rods...start engine and watch metering rods...are they sucked down into the jet?...or bouncing up and down...?

if the answer is yes...you need to change the step spring to lighter one to allow the metering rods to sit down into the jets while idling.

Especially in gear, have someone start the motor up after it is warmed up and then check the metering rods, if there not sucked down into the jets trim or replace those springs under the pistons on the metering rods so they do stay down in gear idling
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Carter carb question - 07/11/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

What's your initial?

This!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Carter carb question - 07/11/13 08:19 PM

With the car idling loosen the metering rod covers and swing them aside. Are the pistons and rods dancing up and down, or possibly just up. If so the metering rod springs are to stiff. It would be like a Holley with the power valve open at idle. Edelbrock makes springs that you can adapt. My race car idles with Edelbrocks with a 285@.050" cam with no issue.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums