Moparts

70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED*

Posted By: DustMaker70

70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/19/13 07:00 AM

Post deleted by DustMaker70
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/19/13 07:10 AM

The addition of discs to the rear will be merely cosmetic if you do not intend to road race the car.
Rear drums are perfectly fine for most people. The switch to rear discs for many guys is because they look better through the spokes and pad replacement is easier. The rear disc kits are not cheap. THAT money would be best spent elsewhere.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/19/13 07:16 AM

I was leaning toward the thought that the disc in rear (unless the application called for it) would be more a cometic thing. I do not know if the car came with power brakes. What number or part of the VIN would tell me that?
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/19/13 07:48 AM

Helped my 67 BCuda (Cordoba brakes on front) really shortened the braking distance, no locking, it just stopped, hard. After 9" drums it's a godsend.

-Daty
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/19/13 06:58 PM

If you have the stock A body 1 3/4 x10 inch rear drums now and you want to swap the axles to the bigger bolt pattern you can use the stock Mopar rear brakes,10.5x10, 3x11 and so on the other option is to take your rear brake shoes to a brake reliner and have softer linings installed I did that for my Dster, I wanted to keep the stock rear brakes for the weight savings and had fork lift linings installed on several sets of the stock brake shoes They hold on the starting line a lot better, they probally won't last 60,000 miles on the street though BTW, I may have a set or two of them left that I would let go, PM me if interested
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/19/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

I was leaning toward the thought that the disc in rear (unless the application called for it) would be more a cometic thing. I do not know if the car came with power brakes. What number or part of the VIN would tell me that?

Not in VIN. On fender tag. Don't know about '70, but 72-74 code book says, for brevity, codes B02 through B11; front drums of varying sizes. Codes B22 through B37; rear drums of varying sizes. Codes B41 through B43, front discs. B51; power brakes.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/20/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

Helped my 67 BCuda (Cordoba brakes on front) really shortened the braking distance, no locking, it just stopped, hard. After 9" drums it's a godsend.

-Daty

A cinder block on a rope would be an improvement over 9" drums.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/20/13 04:28 AM

Unless you are doing repeated stops from high speed, rear drums will be fine. Front disks are important, rear not so much. Personally I would (and did) fix up the rear drums as needed and focus on other areas.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/20/13 05:08 AM

I wont be doing alot of hard stopping. I plan to have the car as more of a driver and the occasional light to light race. I appreciate all the info and thoughts. I know with the tech of todays brake system I will be ok keeping it stock with drums. I have already updated the suspension with a kit from Hotchkis. Other than that I've got everything for the motor and will be replacing the 3spd with a 4spd by the fall. Oh I did have another question. I will be running a Mopar Purple 484 cam. I was told to use only oil with zinc.....is that difficult to find or is it mostly something you would have to order?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/20/13 05:40 AM

Quote:

I was told to use only oil with zinc.

Bradd Penn brand oil, several others are real good also. EDIT I dont think rear discs would be cost effective if you had to buy one of the $$$ kits. I've heard people say rear discs are real good & some say not worth the effort. I have a pair of SBP rotors that were in MP cardboard packages at a swap meet for $10 ea & no clue what they were meant for but they seemed like a later 80's ? item but then there was the SBP & I want to weld brackets on an 8&3/4 housing & likely use A body calipers & reduce the end play to zero & try em just to see
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/20/13 06:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-Daty

A cinder block on a rope would be an improvement over 9" drums.

That would be an improvement, I kept backing up to give me room, people kept moving in front. At that point I knew I needed brakes, went a bit overboard but that's ok, I'd rather stop faster than I can accelerate on the street. I would have rather kept it stock but it was not possible with the drivers around here. Too many nuts...

-Daty
Posted By: BDW

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/20/13 01:21 PM

Unless you are doing repeated stops from high speed, rear drums will be fine. Front disks are important, rear not so much. Personally I would (and did) fix up the rear drums as needed and focus on other areas.

x2, what he said.

Most do it for looks, funny thing is a 11" drum (13 diameter) fills out a 17" rim much better than a 10" disc.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/20/13 11:50 PM

Quote:

Good job expending the effort to accomplish nothing. The post is still here.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 01:31 AM

Even with the delete I'll toss my My 68 Barracuda has 11.75" front disk and 11" drums. I'm going to get a set of Dr Diffs 11 rear disks. The drums are super heavy and don't modulate anywhere as well as disks. The drums will last longer with a much larger wear surface and on a perfect surface will stop just as well. But in the real world when the brakes get hot or wet, you are far better off with disks.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

Even with the delete I'll toss my My 68 Barracuda has 11.75" front disk and 11" drums. I'm going to get a set of Dr Diffs 11 rear disks. The drums are super heavy and don't modulate anywhere as well as disks. The drums will last longer with a much larger wear surface and on a perfect surface will stop just as well. But in the real world when the brakes get hot or wet, you are far better off with disks.

I seriously doubt you can drive a car hard enough on the street for REAR drum brake modulation to be an issue.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/21/13 04:23 AM

Quote:

I wont be doing alot of hard stopping. I plan to have the car as more of a driver and the occasional light to light race. I appreciate all the info and thoughts. I know with the tech of todays brake system I will be ok keeping it stock with drums. I have already updated the suspension with a kit from Hotchkis. Other than that I've got everything for the motor and will be replacing the 3spd with a 4spd by the fall. Oh I did have another question. I will be running a Mopar Purple 484 cam. I was told to use only oil with zinc.....is that difficult to find or is it mostly something you would have to order?

I run Shell Rotella T diesel engine oil which has enough zinc for a flat tappet cam. Available at Walmart or an auto parts store. Brad Penn and zinc additives to standard car oil are another option.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 05:07 AM

Give a new guy a break. The delete was not intentional.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 05:14 AM

Quote:

Give a new guy a break.

I'm on your side. If anyone here gets out of line just go upside their head & they'll leave you alone. Welcome aboard & fasten your seat belt. You have just joined the worlds' premier Mopar site & the guys here are sharp beyond belief

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I seriously doubt you can drive a car hard enough on the street for REAR drum brake modulation to be an issue.

I wasn't talking out my _ _ _ . I've driven it, gotten the rears locked up, they DONT want to unlock.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 02:08 PM

Quote:

Give a new guy a break. The delete was not intentional.

Fair enough, there has been a rash of people coming on, asking a question and deleting it right after getting an answer. It's annoying and counterproductive.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 02:18 PM

My is that i switched from manual four wheel drums to power four wheel discs and the improvment was incredible. Now i have way better feel and no brake fade. It wasn't cheap but really worth it.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 04:32 PM

If you can afford it, do it. If you can't, save it for later.
Yes, rear drums do the job. But so do three-speed manual transmissions.

R.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? - 06/21/13 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I run Shell Rotella T diesel engine oil which has enough zinc for a flat tappet cam. Available at Walmart or an auto parts store. Brad Penn and zinc additives to standard car oil are another option.

Tread carefully........what I have heard is they're dropping the amounts of zinc in the diesel oils due to tightening emissions on the diesels. I would stick with the racing oils such as Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs,Valvoline VR1,etc.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/21/13 10:50 PM

I've pretty much decided that I will save the swap for later. I just bought all the parts for the motor that I needed. I've got all the original matching number parts but the original block has a crack (not serious but may fix it later). There is so much that I've done to the car just upgrading it from when dad bought it new in 70. Changed from 3spd to 4spd. Upgraded to hotchkis suspension. Kept the original Tor Red color. So if its not an absolute must do now and as it seems its more of a driver preference then I will save the additional cost of upgrading brakes and in the next few months should have it back on the road after 20 yrs of sitting in the barn.

Re: 70 Duster Rear disc brake upgrade. Worth the time? *DELETED* - 06/22/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

I wasn't talking out my _ _ _ . I've driven it, gotten the rears locked up, they DONT want to unlock.

Locking up the rears, only, isn't modulation, it's a failure of the braking system.

Fix your brakes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums