Moparts

New lifters question

Posted By: markrr

New lifters question - 06/18/13 02:09 AM

Is it OK to install new lifters onto a used camshaft or do lifters and cam have to be replaced together?
Posted By: tripleblackcuda

Re: New lifters question - 06/18/13 02:18 AM

You can replace the lifters and not the camshaft. I would use a bottle of zinc additive in the oil to help break the lifter surface in a little bit. Use assembly lube on the face (bottom) of the lifter for lubrication on the first start-up.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New lifters question - 06/18/13 04:25 AM

Break in the new lifters just like you would a new cam and lifters
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: New lifters question - 06/18/13 04:39 AM

The rules I remember are:

New cam? New lifters.
Used cam? NEW lifters OR the exact same lifters from the exact same holes from that same used cam.
This is for NON roller type cams and lifters, of course.
Posted By: markrr

Re: New lifters question - 06/18/13 01:29 PM

Thanks everyone. These are hydraulic flat lifters that I want to replace onto a used cam. So, when I replace them I need to use assembly lube on the lifters and then run the engine for 20 minutes at the specified RPM the same as when replacing a cam?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New lifters question - 06/19/13 04:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone. These are hydraulic flat lifters that I want to replace onto a used cam. So, when I replace them I need to use assembly lube on the lifters and then run the engine for 20 minutes at the specified RPM the same as when replacing a cam?

you got it, I like to use at least twenty minutes, longer time above 1500 RPM can't hurt in any way
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New lifters question - 06/19/13 02:09 PM

I'd goose the throttle multiple times during that period. Helps the lifters rotate (which is critical) & better splashes oil up on the cam
© 2024 Moparts Forums