Moparts

Weight ratio for an A body??

Posted By: onig

Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/14/13 03:07 AM

Who has weight ratios for their A body cars.
Big block or small block. I have both in the household (69 BB and soon to be Gen 3 & 71 SB).
If you weighed your front axle and rear axle separately let me know the weights.

I am ordering a trailer and want to position the axles to accommodate these cars. I don't want to use the factory trailer axle location if it does not match the vehicle weight front to back.

I know about the 60/40 rule, blah, blah, blah.
I doubt that the A body car is 50/50, if so that would be great and I could use the 60/40, but if not I want it right.

Any info you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Onig
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/14/13 03:27 AM

This is on digital scales on my 68 Barracuda formula S 340 automatic:

stock iron heads
stock iron water pump
stock iron intake
power steering
manual brakes with aluminum master cyl
340 hi-po exhaust manifolds
light weight MP starter
.99 T-bars
15x9 aluminum rims
12" big front disk brakes with 73-76 spindle and pin calipers
center console

Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/14/13 04:00 AM

Thanks Steve It's always great to see real measurements, as opposed to old factory shipping numbers.

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/14/13 11:09 AM

Thanks AutoX.
56 front and 44 rear.

Onig
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/14/13 01:49 PM

AutoX, your 68 is nearly dead-on with my 67 coupe. My coupe weighs 3340 with a full tank of gas, but I have an aluminum intake, lightweight starter and manual steering, and that's 80 pounds right there. Certified scales at a truck stop. Didn't get a front/rear balance, though, as their computer printout wasn't working and the lady just wrote out the total weight.

67 Barracuda coupe, 360, 727, 8 3/4, A body 4-piston discs, 15" Cragar SS (7" front, 8" rear), manual steering and brakes, aluminum intake, 360 aluminum water pump, iron Indy LA-X heads, TTI headers/X-pipe exhaust.

Attached picture 7742647-DSCF0220.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/14/13 09:28 PM

Tim's Valiant is 3250 lbs and the split is 56/44 front to rear.

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/15/13 03:23 AM

Interesting, these small blocks are identical.
Anybody have weights for BB?

Onig
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/15/13 04:34 PM

My BB 1971 Duster with a full interior, no backseat do to the roll bar, and a full stock gas tank of pump gas was right at 50.75 on the front and the rest on the back end with no driver, two group 27 batterys in the trunk behind the right rear wheelwell I did slide the motor back one inch on the stock tranny mount and moved the rear end forward one inch by using ladder bars and coil overs after stretching the rear wheel wells five inches That was with a alumimnum radiator, water pump and water pump housing and aluminum master cylinder, heads and intake manifold with headers and full three inch exhaust to the rear bumper, stock 1973 Duster bucket seats. Race weight Fibreglas hood and front bumper and brackets

Re: Weight ratio for an A body?? - 06/17/13 08:06 PM

Thanks Mr. Cab
© 2024 Moparts Forums