Moparts

Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know.

Posted By: Junky

Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 02:42 AM

God help me. I know, I know. I've beat this horse to death. This ain't knew to me. I've changed transmission pans many times working at my uncle's gas station as a kid and on my own cars over the years. But, I cannot get this TCI aluminum pan to seal even with the Mopar gasket!!! With each gasket it leaks in a different place. It's not the transmission, it's dry above the pan. I've checked very closely. The pan is flat, no warps.

My question: What type of trans pan came on the 1970/71 440 six pak cars. Didn't they have a torque converter that stalled around 2,300 RPM? How did they come from the factory. Did they have deeper pans and/or transmission coolers?

The reason I ask is that I'm concerned hurting the transmission in my Coronet if I run a deep steel pan without a cooler. The torque converter I run is a custom, tight, heavy duty 12" 'verter that will flash to 2,500 RPM from a standing start. At cruise it seems very efficient like a stocker. At light throttle it moves very quickly from a stop. Will I be taking a chance running a deep steel (2 extra quarts) transmission pan without a transmission cooler?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 02:58 AM

No.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 03:48 AM

Get a second opinion.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:01 AM

The 6 pack and hemi cars ran the same depth pan as any 727 behind any engine it was offered behind including the lowly slant 6 .

Have you tried a fiber gasket ?
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:24 AM

Quote:

With each gasket it leaks in a different place. It's not the transmission, it's dry above the pan. I've checked very closely. The pan is flat, no warps.

DIFF places with DIFF gaskets ?.... did you baby-powder these areas ?

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:34 AM

Quote:

The 6 pack and hemi cars ran the same depth pan as any 727 behind any engine it was offered behind including the lowly slant 6 .

Most every gasket but a cork gasket. Don't know what you mean by "fiber".

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

With each gasket it leaks in a different place. It's not the transmission, it's dry above the pan. I've checked very closely. The pan is flat, no warps.

DIFF places with DIFF gaskets ?.... did you baby-powder these areas ?

Doc, I never know if you're pulling my chain or you're serious.

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:36 AM

Quote:

No.

That's good enough for me. Thanks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:47 AM

Might try a tube of "the right stuff" instead of a gasket. Make sure you let it setup thick (which dont take long) before adding the pan. It'll take a chisel to get the pan off the next time but it wont leak. I'm assuming that it is the pan rather than one of the other notorious locations that drip down & fool ya on their location
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:51 AM

Quote:

JUNKster .... WHEN have I ever pulled-yurr-chain ?...

IF IT was leaking in the same areas(below the gasket)... it could be a porous alum casting ....

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

JUNKster .... WHEN have I ever pulled-yurr-chain ?...

IF IT was leaking in the same areas(below the gasket)... it could be a porous alum casting ....

Sorry, I know better. You're a great guy.

I'm so sick of this pan I just ordered a deep non chrome steel pan from Mancini. I now have new wall art for the garage. Piece of s...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Most every gasket but a cork gasket. Don't know what you mean by "fiber".

It's not a cork gasket , it's a 1/16ish thick hard gasket , I use it on my ram trans with mag hytech alum pan , seals great and I have reused it. I buy them at transtar , not sure if it's something you can get at a parts store , try a local trans shop .
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 06:08 AM

My brother-in-laws 07 Ram had Mopar RTV as a sealant. NO gasket and no leaks.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 11:29 AM

No gasket permatex the right stuff
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 12:38 PM

I'm running the steel deep pan with a 2400/2600 stall with no heat problems.

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/08/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

I'm running the steel deep pan with a 2400/2600 stall with no heat problems.

Thank you for the info.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/09/13 03:11 AM

Quote:

My brother-in-laws 07 Ram had Mopar RTV as a sealant. NO gasket and no leaks.

The RFE's are made for RTV, nice wide, flat flange for that junk to squish around and seal. Works great until your the one cussing at it trying to get the pan off and scrape all that garbage off to reseal it.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/09/13 03:39 AM

I run a steel pan no cooler 2800 stall convertor with no problems. I have good luck useing standard gasket with indian head sealer. Put the pan on wait over night to add fluid. Allways worked out well for me. I think any sealer would do the job i think the trick is letting it set up over night before adding fluid.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/09/13 08:04 AM

Mopar makes a very nice re-usable trans pan gasket. They are a little spendy, but they work very well.
Posted By: bfury

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/09/13 05:24 PM

Forget about gaskets. Go to a mopar parts department and get a tube of ATF RTV. Use it liberally toward the outside edge of the pan. Let sit overnight and you will be leak free from the pan. I mouted a very deoop B&M pan to an early PB 727. The trans pan rail was not flat and it sealed. I love it. Oh by the way, I was using the new Mopar reusable silicone gasket, it leaked.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/09/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

Mopar makes a very nice re-usable trans pan gasket. They are a little spendy, but they work very well.

They work very well. I must of serviced my diesel with a deep aluminum pan 4 or 5 times and still the same gasket and zero leaks.

Silicone is a mess and if you have to use that it is because something is wrong.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Transmission Pans...Yeah, I know. - 06/09/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

Forget about gaskets. Go to a mopar parts department and get a tube of ATF RTV. Use it liberally toward the outside edge of the pan. Let sit overnight and you will be leak free from the pan. I mouted a very deoop B&M pan to an early PB 727. The trans pan rail was not flat and it sealed. I love it. Oh by the way, I was using the new Mopar reusable silicone gasket, it leaked.

I cant recomind this enuff myself

it is some good stuff and has sealed up alot of stuff i had troble with on a trans leak, so now I use it on anything i need to use rtv on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums