Moparts

Brake light and ABS light is on???

Posted By: wkroncke17

Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/01/13 06:15 PM

All,
My brakes seem fine on my '06 2500, but the dinger dings, and the lights on the dash board come on as the picture shows below.
Anyone ever have this happen to them??
As always - Thanks Moparts, and thanks to everyone for any advice!!

Wally.

Attached picture 7727364-brakelightsdash.JPG
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/01/13 07:01 PM

Is reservoir full on the master cylinder? Low brake fluid level could cause that without the brakes feeling bad. If you have a compatible scan tool I'm sure there will be a code that will tell you where the problem may be.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/01/13 07:16 PM

Most of the time it's fluid level, could be an issue with the parking brake-not fully released or even a brake light bulb/switch being bad. Usually if both lights are on, it's not an ABS specific issue. HTH, Steve
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/01/13 08:18 PM

could be a bad speed sensor on the rear axle or trans. typically it is the rear axle sensor.

looks like this...

Attached picture 7727483-PICT1419edit_renamed_15948.jpg
Posted By: hp340nos

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/01/13 09:14 PM

front wheel hub sensor on my dakota threw the same code lights.mine ended up being a wire had rubbed through on the harness going to the speed sensor,i replaced the hub sensor and the problem was gone.as above have it scanned to see what codes are present.

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 04:15 AM

Quote:

Is reservoir full on the master cylinder? Low brake fluid level could cause that without the brakes feeling bad. If you have a compatible scan tool I'm sure there will be a code that will tell you where the problem may be.

Duh!! I should have checked the fluid first thing!!
I was running to grad partys all day today, I will check that and the fuses tomorrow.
Where would be the best place to get the code read?

Thanks everyone!!

Posted By: sreinheimer

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 04:37 AM

ABS problem trips both lights. Fluid issue would only trip the brake light
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 04:39 AM

your brakes will work, but with out the anti-lock system.. you will need to start with a scan.. usally a wheel speed sensor or wheel bearing..
Posted By: therocks

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 12:53 PM

My Durango if the fluid is low it trips both lights.Blew a line and once it was low both lite.Rocky

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 02:12 PM

Quote:

ABS problem trips both lights. Fluid issue would only trip the brake light

Wrong

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

your brakes will work, but with out the anti-lock system.. you will need to start with a scan.. usally a wheel speed sensor or wheel bearing..

Wrong
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 02:51 PM

mine did that and i lifted up the brake pedal with my toe and it went out.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/02/13 08:33 PM

Both lights are on in my 01, but that's because I pulled the abs fuse

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/05/13 06:58 PM

Well, all of the fuses are ok, the brake fluid level was just a hair low, so I topped it off, and the lights are still on!!
So it must be one of the wheel speed sensors??
Is there one in particular to look for?
Thanks all!!
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/05/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong

What part of this is wrong?
Our ABS light just came on and I told the Ole' Girl it was just like her last car now. ABS is for folks that don't know how to drive in slippery conditions... Just like 4 wheel drive for driving on city streets in the winter... Not necessary either. I never had it in any of my stuff, cause I run older stuff, but she wanted something newer. Are we in trouble just because the ABS is out of order? Is there some issue I am not aware of that will make this an unsafe vehicle?
Not trying to be a smart$$ or start an argument. It's just that I have been driving for 35 years and just don't get this make the car smarter than the driver stuff.
Posted By: 74Charger

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/05/13 07:27 PM

One has to wonder if that differential was serviced regularly....

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/05/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong

What part of this is wrong?
Our ABS light just came on and I told the Ole' Girl it was just like her last car now. ABS is for folks that don't know how to drive in slippery conditions... Just like 4 wheel drive for driving on city streets in the winter... Not necessary either. I never had it in any of my stuff, cause I run older stuff, but she wanted something newer. Are we in trouble just because the ABS is out of order? Is there some issue I am not aware of that will make this an unsafe vehicle?
Not trying to be a smart$$ or start an argument. It's just that I have been driving for 35 years and just don't get this make the car smarter than the driver stuff.

ABS light only with a wheel speed sensor or bearing. Both lights come on if both systems are affected. Most cars are more capable of controlling brake lockup than their drivers, snowy conditions excepted.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/06/13 12:06 AM

Thanx. I can sleep easy.
Posted By: 74Charger

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/07/13 12:42 PM

When my '04 Ram 2500 did this it required a $500 ABS module replacement. Completed by dealer 'cause I had no idea how to diagnos. Sometimes you just can't do it all yourself!

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/10/13 10:28 PM

I replaced the rear ABS sensor yesterday - the lights are still on!!

What next????

Should I just drive it?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/11/13 01:13 AM

Unless the float is stuck in the master you will be guessing as what is wrong.Amazing guys will spend hundreds guessing and not pay for a diag.Having it scanned will probally be the only way to find the problem.Most cheap code puller tools wont do ABS systems.Rocky
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/11/13 02:34 AM

Quote:

Amazing guys will spend hundreds guessing and not pay for a diag.

And not fixing it could cause another pandoras box. Just ask a lady I know who was in an accident that a young kid was killed on a bicycle. It was not her fault. But in a fatality accident your vehicle is taken. She had an ABS light on and the accident Reconstruction people were all over that. Out come is her insurance paid dearly and she paid to. Ask yourself is it worth it?
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/11/13 06:09 AM

Did you disconnect the battery and reset the system after the new sensor?

Re: Brake light and ABS light is on??? - 06/11/13 12:24 PM

Quote:

Did you disconnect the battery and reset the system after the new sensor?

No i did not!!
I will do that today.
Thanks!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums