Moparts

do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed?

Posted By: cudabitten

do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 04:17 PM

Ive heard you guys say good stuff about these mufflers, how are they while cruising?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 04:28 PM

I have the short case mufflers on my dart , stock manifolds , 2.5 mandrel bent pipes , no H or X ... it drones at cruising speed with 3.91's
Posted By: markrr

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 04:41 PM

I have stock manifolds, 2.5" pipes, a crossover pipe and, 3.54 gears and mine drones.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 04:58 PM

Hooker's into 2.5" pipe, with balance tube...

Old, loud, Flowmaster's...With insulated trunk divider...

No drone...
Posted By: topside

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 05:10 PM

I've had them on 2 cars so far with 2.5" full exhaust using an H-pipe, and no drone. Sound crisp, nice tone, not too loud at idle or cruise.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 05:42 PM

Quote:

No drone...

Are flomasters made by dynomax now ?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No drone...

Are flomasters made by dynomax now ?

Posted By: markrr

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 06:40 PM

Quote:

I've had them on 2 cars so far with 2.5" full exhaust using an H-pipe, and no drone. Sound crisp, nice tone, not too loud at idle or cruise.

There must be something different about your systems that keep it from droning.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 06:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There must be something different about your systems that keep it from droning.

I run the super turbos with headers and a H pipe, no drone. I think it has to do with stock exhaust manifolds or no H pipe. But I think stock exhaust manifolds are more the reason they drone, JMO from reading here.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 06:51 PM

I run dual 3" Super Turbos on my Dually440, headers and no h pipe. No drone even under heavy towing loads,but they do get pretty loud at that point. I agree that manifolds are the main issue inducing drone with them.
Keith
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 06:54 PM

Thanks, I already purchased headers, maybe I'll look into an " H" pipe? I am starting from scratch this is my first build. I just remember from back in the day cruising in some of my friends cars at first the drone was fun but after a while it was stupid.
I'm not sure the insulated divider would do anything? Isnt the noise coming from the outside of the car?
Posted By: patrick

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 07:08 PM

if they do drone (depends a lot on pipe geometry, diameter, and muffler placement), some glasspacks in the tails as resonators will eliminate it

the further back you can get the mufflers, reducing tailpipe length, the less you'll have drone
Posted By: cogen80

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 07:09 PM

depends on the car.

seems to me that cars running manifolds (crossover or not) drone with the super turbos more then the cars running headers for some reason.
Posted By: Junky

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 07:27 PM

Depends on more than just what muffler you run, like pipe size, x-pipe, h-pipe, no cross pipe, length of muffler body, where muffler is from front to back, headers, what size headers, no headers, engine size, horse power...on and on.

I run the long case Dynomax Super Turbos with no drone at cruise. However I do get a slight drone at 1,600 RPM and at 2,100 RPM. But at speed it doesn't bother me. On the road I usually am running at 2,700 RPM and higher. Have fun.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Isn't the noise coming from the outside of the car?

Absolutely...

But, you're hearing it from inside...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 10:03 PM

No drone here but too loud to suit me.Complete 3" TTI from Max Wedge manifolds back with Super Turbo's.

Attached picture 7717755-Picture620.jpg
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 10:33 PM

I get a drone around 45 then it goes away immediately after or before.My system is 2.5" tti with H pipe through factory manifolds. I really love the sound of the system
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/24/13 11:32 PM

Run Super Turbos on my old stuff. Never ran headers or an H pipe. No drone. No steep gears either. Steepest gear I ever ran with Super Turbos is 3.23's.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 04:29 AM

Wow, talking about getting a good read. Some of you guys say yea yea drone, others say no drone. Im having a hard time believing stock exhaust manifolds will make the system drone. If anything headers would. In either case, there seems to be no agreement between those here.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 04:36 AM

Depends on the total system.
You are dealing with noise damping with different size and length pipe AND air flow. All connected to different engines at different RPMs.
Even the factory used resonators in a lot of cases and they would have gladly not spent the time/money on them if not needed.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 05:18 AM

Quote:

I get a drone around 45 then it goes away immediately after or before.My system is 2.5" tti with H pipe through factory manifolds. I really love the sound of the system

exact same here.. Using the long case "hemi" super turbos, love the low speed rumble and totally quiet highway cruise..unless you stand on it..
couldnt be happier... have them on two cars, both with stock 440s,with HP manifolds, one 2.76 gear and the other with 3.23s.
Posted By: ademon

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 07:46 AM

68 RR 4-speed 383 with factory exh manifolds mostly stock with a small vodoo cam, 915 heads, and a lot of little tricks. anyway it has a 2.5" custom X pipe exhaust going to the long body dynomax in stock spot, then flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes to tips. this setup gave me a drone between 35 and 50 MPH, used a set of the magnaflow stainless resonators with 24" total length right before the tip just like the HEMI RR's had, this got rid of the drone and also quieted it down a bit more.

Attached picture 7718226-68RR3834-speed(74).jpg
Posted By: ademon

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 07:47 AM

2nd

Attached picture 7718227-68RR3834-speed(75).jpg
Posted By: rapom

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 12:16 PM

I have a 68 charger that had serious drone when it had stock manifolds. When I installed headers the drone was gone. I'm running summit turbo mufflers with a 2.5" exhaust.

I also had a 78 Trans Am with a 2.5" pypes exhaust with x pipe with dyno max mufflers. It had serious drone from 42mph to 50mph. It had stock exhaust manifolds. Part of the problem is that trans ams have exhaust tips that aim at the ground which amplifies the drone.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 01:51 PM

TTI 3" with X pipe, 2 1/2" tailpipe with 2 1/2 by 12" glass packs. No drone. Works great
Posted By: patrick

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 05:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

this is basically the phenomemon happening with drone

you can add in some pipes off the main exhaust to help cancel the drone, too...Solo Performance does this on a lot of their cat back systems

check out http://solo-performance.com/ for an example
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 05:26 PM

Quote:

Wow, talking about getting a good read. Some of you guys say yea yea drone, others say no drone. Im having a hard time believing stock exhaust manifolds will make the system drone. If anything headers would. In either case, there seems to be no agreement between those here.

For what it's worth, I had two cars with super turbos, one was 440, headers, 2.5 inch...no drone. The other was 440, stock hp manifold, 3 inch--------and the most unbelievable god-awful drone you could imagine. Horrible. Switched that one to headers, 2.5 inch and magna flows...no drone.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

For what it's worth, I had two cars with super turbos, one was 440, headers, 2.5 inch...no drone. The other was 440, stock hp manifold, 3 inch--------and the most unbelievable god-awful drone you could imagine. Horrible. Switched that one to headers, 2.5 inch and magna flows...no drone.

So, you changed everything int he exhaust system? If so, it seems you can't narrow the drone issue to anything specific.

My opinion, FWIW, is that drone is more a design of the system in whole than any one specific part.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So, you changed everything int he exhaust system? If so, it seems you can't narrow the drone issue to anything specific.

My opinion, FWIW, is that drone is more a design of the system in whole than any one specific part.

I agree. And the experience that I posted would seem indicate that super turbos may or may not drone depending on the rest of the system. I am a firm believer that larger pipes are more likely to drone than smaller.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: do dynomax super turbos drone at cruising speed? - 05/25/13 07:35 PM

My Fury has hooker supercomps , 3" tube w/crossover, straight all the way out the back, Magnaflo super turbos, it drones at 35-40+/- mph. At cruise speed it is quite. sounds spectacular at idle and at slow into the parking lot speeds.
© 2024 Moparts Forums