Moparts

B series van/motorhome engine removal

Posted By: magnum440d100

B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/21/13 06:06 PM

Motor has 28,000 miles and runs awesome. Motorhome is falling apart, but still in ok condition. I'm thinking of pulling the 360 (1972) and putting it in my 72 d100.

I would like to pull the motor out without damaging anything, as I am putting another motor in to keep it driveable and useable.

Do I go out the front (I have a short engine hoist)

Do I go out the side door?

Do I need to remove anything (intake, oil pan, etc) I would like to keep it as together as possible so that it stays drop in ready.

Any hints tricks or suggestions?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/21/13 08:02 PM

With an engine hoist you probably need to come out the front. But to do that, you'll need to cut away some sheet metal.

Factory recommended method is to drop it out the bottom.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/21/13 08:09 PM

Quote:

With an engine hoist you probably need to come out the front. But to do that, you'll need to cut away some sheet metal.

Factory recommended method is to drop it out the bottom.

It's been 30 years since I worked at a place that had dodge vans. They did all the service there and they had FSM. If I remember right I remember seeing pictures of the engine crane in the passenger door with that seat removed in the FSM? But I may be all wrong, these were 76-80 vans at the time.

Any how that's how I did it when I rebuilt a 360 in a 73 motorhome back in the 80s.
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/21/13 08:16 PM

Having spent many years working at a boneyard, I can tell you there is no easy way. Best meth is to cut and drop from under,weld together after..

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/21/13 09:20 PM

No access to a welder.

Would it be easier if the dash were removed, assuming it was coming out the passenger door?

I'm just tempted to chop it all up, scrap it all. It just needs a LOT of little stuff
Posted By: dOc !

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/21/13 09:42 PM

Any JY I have ever seen would just CHOP OFF the front with a BLUEwrench ....

.... but typically ... for the home-mechanic ... they come out the door .....
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 01:00 AM

79 and 85 books have it coming out the front, they use a lift plate and low profile/long reach crane to lift it just enough and wiggle it out the front. I just yanked 318/999 from one two weeks ago and did not have the lift plate they called for or a short crane. It was a PITA. Engine stays together but A/C, alternator ect all needs to come off. Might help to remove exhaust manifolds as well (I didnt, wish I had)
Posted By: john55

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 02:01 AM

Quote:

79 and 85 books have it coming out the front, they use a lift plate and low profile/long reach crane to lift it just enough and wiggle it out the front. I just yanked 318/999 from one two weeks ago and did not have the lift plate they called for or a short crane. It was a PITA. Engine stays together but A/C, alternator ect all needs to come off. Might help to remove exhaust manifolds as well (I didnt, wish I had)

I used to do them years ago, out the front, it helps to raise the front end up, and use an extension on the crane so you can get further in the van...those were a pain to do
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 03:26 AM

I've done a few.
I'd get a FSM to double-check, but here goes from memory:
Drain all fluids and remove the cover, converter bolts, starter, braces.
Remove bumper, grille, radiator, panels on either side.
Remove all hoses, belts and lines.
Lay aside the PS pump, remove the Alt and A/C if equipped. There is not enough room the lay the A/C aside well.
pull the crank pulley. Remove the carb, dist. and anything else on the manifold.

Jack up the front end of the van and use good jack stands so that the boom of the engine hoist is level with the carb flange on the intake. This is important. You need the hoist to be fairly short and the arm must be darn near flat against the carb flange. There is just enough room for the arm to clear the front of the doghouse if it's right against the intake, so the oil pan will clear.

I have never tried pulling the pan and pump off prior to removal, because I HATE installing pans in the vehicle and figured it's easier to get it all right on the way out so it goes back the same way.
Posted By: Fanning

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 03:51 AM

I usually remove the intake manifold from the engine so that I can get the engine crane hook as low as possible. Lift chain pulled tight across engine at angle using 2nd from outer intake to head bolt holes.
Posted By: MagnumGT

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 05:16 AM

I always put the truck up high, and put the hoist arm right down between the heads (intake off) without the hook and the chain tight to each head diagonally. You want the angle to be close to the angle of the body (whatever that is). I have even ratchet-strapped the block to the arm. What a swap: V6-OD to V8-727. I used an '89 pump module with the drain tube and hooked my fuel line to that. I can also power the pump to empty the tank! The length of a V6/OD is almost the same as a V8/727. Dipstick tubes and a shifter bracket/rod was about it. After driving it I had to re-install the computer (eeek!) to use my dash or else swap it out for the old speedo with a cable. Just rewired all of it with a chrome box, regulator and the yellow "start" wire into an old type starter relay. It's a '94 with an '87 360-4 barrel, 340 cam and old TQ ('cause I like them). The '70's B van may have the engine further back to allow it to go out the door so... I have only done '82 and up.

All Mopars ROCK!

Attached picture 7714756-Nov26ready.jpg

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 05:27 AM

CAN'T believe I have missed this aspect about this topic .... look at my MH in my avatar ...same/SAME as a Dodge van ...almost.

I have never pulled a motor in it ... but I am going to ...and the best way is building a lift-plate that that is deeeep in the valley of the motor(just like the OEM valley pan gasket) that hooks to heads. The intake OF COURSE has to come off ....

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 05:36 AM

Well my first time I had THE BUMPER OFF because I left the INTAKE ON... I got better at it and now my van can rough idle on race gas right with those LITTLE HAMSTER POWERED RICERS...

Attached picture 7714776-Ram'shot.jpg
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 06:08 AM

Quote:

I always put the truck up high, and put the hoist arm right down between the heads (intake off) without the hook and the chain tight to each head diagonally. You want the angle to be close to the angle of the body (whatever that is). I have even ratchet-strapped the block to the arm. What a swap: V6-OD to V8-727. I used an '89 pump module with the drain tube and hooked my fuel line to that. I can also power the pump to empty the tank! The length of a V6/OD is almost the same as a V8/727. Dipstick tubes and a shifter bracket/rod was about it. After driving it I had to re-install the computer (eeek!) to use my dash or else swap it out for the old speedo with a cable. Just rewired all of it with a chrome box, regulator and the yellow "start" wire into an old type starter relay. It's a '94 with an '87 360-4 barrel, 340 cam and old TQ ('cause I like them). The '70's B van may have the engine further back to allow it to go out the door so... I have only done '82 and up.

All Mopars ROCK!

All B series vans 71-up are done this way
You can only go out the door with a shortblock unless you destroy the dash

A series was side door only
Posted By: john55

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 12:18 PM

A series was side door only

it seems like those were easier, unbolting the engine cover and its all right there,

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 01:44 PM

Ok. If I were to pull everything on the front, and pull the motor from the front , is there a reason the trans couldn't come with it?
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 02:18 PM

I've pulled a bunch like that
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 03:55 PM

I've only pulled one van engine. It was a 1970's van with a 360 engine. That van was rusted badly and headed to the scrap yard. I left the intake on it and hooked it up as tight as I could to the lift. It would not come out! So I took a sledge hammer and saw zaw and started making the front opening larger. That van had some strong metal in it! Beating and cutting that van up enough to get that engine out was a real hassle!

If I was to EVER do another engine swap in a van, I'd pull the intake and if necessary the heads or the oil pan. It would be a LOT easier to make the engine smaller than to make the grill opening larger!

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 04:50 PM

Well I just viewed this thread and my photos are only visible when I am logged in so, without the picture of my block hanging in front of the van I guess I can't really prove it, right?

Attached picture 7715094-Nov26ready.jpg

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Well I just viewed this thread and my photos are only visible when I am logged in so, without the picture of my block hanging in front of the van I guess I can't really prove it, right?

Thanks for the pic

The water pump has to come off anyway, same with the intake. I have a 4bbl to replace the 2 bbl. I do have an extra HV oil pump which could justify oil pan removal

Ok. I guess enough talkin, more doin. Learn by trial and error. I'm going to go through the front. Wish me luck guys
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/22/13 08:35 PM

Trans can come out with it (just make sure the lift can handle it. )
Pull the intake so the lift arm clears the top of cowl and the oil pan clears the crossmember.

I pull everything in ft of the motor including the bumper. It just makes it easier and gets everything out of the way .

I just gave quote 3 weeks ago to do this very job.

Estimate was to pull and replace the long block with a reman. rebuild the trans while it was out - APPROXIMATE parts and labor $3500 - $4000
Posted By: MoPar Jamie

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/23/13 05:56 AM

okay on 71-77 Vans you CAN remove it out the pass. door. I have done two that way, one a 440, the other a 360. I took the front of the motor off both when I did it. Also I dropped both trannies.

When I parted my rotted 94 recently I pulled it out the front. but left the 518 in place (waited till the motor was out to drop it). I raised it on jackstands and used my buddies picker for it.

Because it was rotted I pulled the front end stuff and the bumper (bumper was nice so I saved it.) and I cut out the lower radiator support. I did have to pull apart the front of the motor and pull the beer-barrel intake. I didnt have to pull the manifolds or anything.
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/23/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

Well my first time I had THE BUMPER OFF because I left the INTAKE ON... I got better at it and now my van can rough idle on race gas right with those LITTLE HAMSTER POWERED RICERS...

front wheel drive right?
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/23/13 05:16 PM

High volume pump is a waste.

I have swapped engines in my '79 twice. Raised the van, no exhaust manifolds, no intake. Grille, bumper, and the sheet metal by the bumper came off.

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/23/13 05:22 PM

...another thought about pulling the motor out-the-front without removing everything off the front of the body .... is to pull the oil-pan and pickup .... that Xtra 6-7 inches would help in the EZier removal ...
Posted By: Dan Halen

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/24/13 12:48 AM

I just did mine this winter and out the door is soo much easier

mainly not having to work the oil pan over the crossmember. Drop the

trans, pull the pass seat and have at it.

Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/24/13 03:28 AM

Quote:

We did it that way all the time. This includes new vans still under warranty. Tranny comes off easy, pull the manifold and out she comes.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: B series van/motorhome engine removal - 05/24/13 11:47 AM

Quote:

That picture reminds of what the motorhome looked like and the vans I used to work on. Why not out the door, why would you go out the front on that model? It was easy to work on also, everything is right there easy to get to.
© 2024 Moparts Forums