Moparts

how to remove wheel locks?

Posted By: formula_s

how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:28 AM

socket can't be found,
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:33 AM

Find a normal socket that is just abit too small to fit over the wheel lock, then using an extension on it, belt it on with a until the socket jams over the wheel lock.
And then hit it with the..

Attached picture 4845027-4666778-ImpactSpin.gif
Posted By: 10sec440

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:33 AM

I usually hammer a tight fitting socket onto it and then spin it off with my impact. There are tools you can buy that do the same thing ($$). If you have to drill it off it can get messy. Also you may be able to order a new key if you don't need it right away.
Posted By: 10sec440

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:34 AM

haha you beat me.

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:34 AM

Same advice though
Posted By: buildanother

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:38 AM

Use a beater craftsman 12 point.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:45 AM

Beat on a piece of water pipe or cheap-o jack handle then use a pipe wrench, why jack up a socket?

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 03:48 AM

Quote:

Beat on a piece of water pipe or cheap-o jack handle then use a pipe wrench, why jack up a socket?

I've done it many,many times, and only messed up the socket once, and they are Craftsman, so I just go change it for another one
Posted By: stumpy

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:14 AM

If it's the kind with the key pattern in the center just take a punch and drive it in. Then use a 3/8" extension as the key. I've done it a bunch of times on used cars. There is normally enough room between the end of the stud and the nut for the center to go in.
Posted By: farmington

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:43 AM

A socket made for a oil pressure sender works perfectly. You don't have to pound it on too hard, most people can't tighten those lugs very well.
Posted By: tscuda

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:54 AM

Summit sells something. Search for sum900460
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've done it many,many times, and only messed up the socket once, and they are Craftsman, so I just go change it for another one

Yeah but the one I break is always the one I need. Like the 1/2 to 3/8's adapter you twist off instead just getting the socket.

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:59 AM

Quote:

Like the 1/2 to 3/8's adapter

I've got 3 or 4 of them..just in case
Posted By: 4boxers4

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 06:03 AM

Cover the wheel with some wax and then use additional 'non-flammable' material to shield it while I tack weld a socket extention with my mig welder to the top of the locknut. Use a ratchet and it comes right off. Use cutoff wheel on the tack and move to the next one. Doesn't take long to do, could have it all done before you can beat one up with a hammer.
Posted By: dave571

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:23 PM

depending on wheel design, it can be easily moved with an air chisel too.

It just depends on whether there is enough room to get the chisel on the edge of the nut.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:23 PM

I've welded lugs on the lugs and just wrenched them off. Seems I always have extra lugs laying around.
Posted By: 72challorange

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 04:47 PM

I used these last time. For the $$$ it was worth the lessened aggravation.

Tom

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947392000P
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 06:59 PM

I've used vice-grips
Posted By: Cudaben

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 07:00 PM

Sears sells 2 sided sockets, instead of squaredoff inside edges (like say a 13/16 socket) it has reversed spiral extrusions that cut into the outside of the rounded wheel lock. Ive had a set of 3 for years and there very handy and impact ready.
Posted By: bulletpruf

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 08:18 PM

Quote:

Sears sells 2 sided sockets, instead of squaredoff inside edges (like say a 13/16 socket) it has reversed spiral extrusions that cut into the outside of the rounded wheel lock. Ive had a set of 3 for years and there very handy and impact ready.

Well worth the $$$. Needed these to get the locking lugs off my GTX. They were on there very tight; would not come off after I beat a 12 point socket onto 'em.

Scott

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/29/08 10:18 PM

Quote:

I've used vice-grips

Got one off this way.Gonna try a 12 point socket on the others. Thanks for all the replies.
Posted By: boomer

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/30/08 12:09 AM

.Lost my key and tried the 12 point socket trick...... It worked like a charm. Thanks guys....
Posted By: FC7AARcuda

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/30/08 02:44 PM

I didn't realize my car had two different types of locks on it until I went to get new tires the first time. The Firestone dealer I bought the new tires at had a master set of keys. Might be worth making a few calls to local tire stores to see if any have a master set of keys.

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/30/08 09:17 PM

Used a 12 point 7/8 socket, shimmed the inside with a couple of sheet metal screws. Came right off!!!!!
Posted By: Reggie

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 11/30/08 09:36 PM

Quote:

I've used vice-grips

Ditto. That's what the Midnight Auto Supply guys also used back in the day.
Posted By: roe

Re: how to remove wheel locks? - 12/01/08 06:50 AM

Quote:

I didn't realize my car had two different types of locks on it until I went to get new tires the first time. The Firestone dealer I bought the new tires at had a master set of keys. Might be worth making a few calls to local tire stores to see if any have a master set of keys.

Thats what I did. Got into the car and drove to a tire place and they did it for free for me. I made sure to tip the guy who helped me.

roe
© 2024 Moparts Forums