Moparts

DOT 5

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

DOT 5 - 03/31/13 02:48 PM

Experiences bad/good? Thinking of using it for the Dart. Have had lot of experience with MC's going bad and trashing the firewall paint.

I know it requires some finesse when bleeding.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 02:57 PM

A few customers with classic vettes have dot 5. The pedal tends to be a bit more spongy. You should clean the system out thoroughly.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 03:30 PM

i have it in 2 of my cars with no problems what so ever. i do hear old wives tales about it on this board a lot though.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 04:10 PM

Been using it in my muscle cars for 15+ years. Really use it because I am messy and it doesn't hurt the paint.

I have had few problems with it, but it sometimes does not work well with older brake parts. I only use it with all new or reman'ed pieces.
Posted By: bri440

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 04:18 PM

I've used it for at least five years. Rebuilt the brake system on a 71 Challenger - stock rebuild. To me it seems like it takes longer to get the air our of the system. After thoroughly bleeding the system, I still had a soft pedal. A week later I cracked the bleeds on the front calibers for a second, then everything was good. Can't tell a difference between DOT-5 and DOT-3.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

i have it in 2 of my cars with no problems what so ever. i do hear old wives tales about it on this board a lot though.

I use it it my car and no problems at all.We also use it in the postal vehicles at work and no problems there either.
Posted By: jcc

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 05:41 PM

Quote:

.We also use it in the postal vehicles at work and no problems there either. [/quote

Why?

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 05:50 PM

I've been researching it, most have had good luck with it from the various boards I have been snooping around. I've read that it is "thicker" and can trap micro bubbles if to aggressive when bleeding. Been using the gravity method for a while, so I'll start there.

The majority of the brake system is brand new/rebuilt, lines, MC, rear calipers, etc. The fronts had DOT 3 in them, but it has been a few years and I drained them good. I'll make sure to do a good bleed and get everything out.

I do still need to use DOT 3 in the throw out master cylinder, so hopefully that does not give me issues.

Thanks!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: DOT 5 - 03/31/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.We also use it in the postal vehicles at work and no problems there either. [/quote

Why?

I will assume for no possibility of paint damage,and since we get it from a U.S. Govt supplier,it's cheaper.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: DOT 5 - 04/01/13 08:52 PM

Quote:

Experiences bad/good? Thinking of using it for the Dart. Have had lot of experience with MC's going bad and trashing the firewall paint.

I know it requires some finesse when bleeding.

I use it in my Road Runner. Pedal is hard as a rock and stops really good. If I hadn't, the leaky master cylinder cover would have destroyed the paint on the inner fenders.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: DOT 5 - 04/01/13 11:47 PM

I have it in 2 of my cars and had no problems at all.Bleed fine with my Mityvac.
Posted By: GardnersGotCudas

Re: DOT 5 - 04/02/13 02:51 AM

it is the best

Re: DOT 5 - 04/02/13 03:15 AM

I'm sold.. thanks guys.

Not sure how much it matters, any particular brand you guys are using?
Posted By: burdar

Re: DOT 5 - 04/02/13 03:55 AM

I got mine at Car Quest. I think it was thier house brand. $25 a quart.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: DOT 5 - 04/02/13 04:12 AM

Rick Ehrenberg convinced me to use it after a ride in his '69 Roadrunner 32 years ago! Good enough for E-Berg, good enough for me!
Posted By: m88mark

Re: DOT 5 - 04/02/13 04:34 AM

Military went to silicone fluid almost 40 years ago. All I use cars & bikes.

Mark
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: DOT 5 - 04/03/13 04:48 PM

Has been in 100% of my vehicles since 1978. Ditto US military since mid-'70s. Ends stuck caliper pistons forever.

A guy on eBay (occasionally) sells mil-spec surplus gallons dirt cheap. Shelf life is near infinity.

It is virtually all made by Dow Corning no matter what the label says.

Rick

Re: DOT 5 - 04/04/13 12:19 AM

Thanks again guys. I got a box of stuff from Summit today, DOT 5 was in there too.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: DOT 5 - 04/04/13 12:51 AM

Looked for some at a local parts store....the kid looked at me like I was talking a foreign language..
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: DOT 5 - 04/04/13 01:02 AM

OK, so if it's so great...what are the reasons to NOT use it?

for those who say to not use DOT 5....why?

if it's nothing but pros and positives...why isn't everyone using it? what are the urban legends regarding DOT 5 fluid?

Re: DOT 5 - 04/04/13 01:15 AM

From what I have researched:

- It does not absorb water. This sounds like a good thing, but actually absorbing water is helpful in terms of the hydraulic aspects and getting the water/condensation out of the system.
- It is more prone to "foaming", which basically creates air bubbles, that then compress and give you a soft pedal. I believe this is the main reason it is a no-no for ABS systems. When then engage they operate so aggressively they foam the fluid.
- It is expensive.
- "Hard to bleed". Due to the foaming issue. Not sure if this is true or not.

Boiling point probably plays into it as well (maybe part of the water thing). Dunno for sure. Not trying to start any rumors... lol.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: DOT 5 - 04/04/13 01:18 AM

Ok.

if the foaming issue and not being friendly with ABS systems is true, then I can't run it in my Dakota...I've got 13" rotors with 4-piston viper calipers on my rear axle, needless to say, I NEED the RWAL to keep me from locking up the rear too soon. (because of the factory RWAL is the only reason I was willing to put such big brakes on the rear)
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: DOT 5 - 04/04/13 01:42 AM

Quote:

Ok.

if the foaming issue and not being friendly with ABS systems is true, then I can't run it in my Dakota...I've got 13" rotors with 4-piston viper calipers on my rear axle, needless to say, I NEED the RWAL to keep me from locking up the rear too soon. (because of the factory RWAL is the only reason I was willing to put such big brakes on the rear)

you can always run one of those adjustable valve to get the bias correct...the main reason not to run dot 5 ive found is its 25$ a quart
© 2024 Moparts Forums