Moparts

Gear noise

Posted By: boydsdodge

Gear noise - 11/26/08 09:48 PM

I have been offered a rebuilt rear diff for a good price.
It has top quality name brand parts all new but the customer said it has a gear noise and took it back,
The shop that rebuilt it says that there is nothing wrong but it does have a gear noise.
Should I or shouldn't I go for it?
Do gear noises clear up are they bad for the diff or is it just a noise?
Thanks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Gear noise - 11/26/08 10:11 PM

pass on it. the noise definitely wont get any better & I'll get on your nerves big time.
Posted By: dart_sportsatellite

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 01:43 PM

If it's a limited slip, and the customer didn't add a friction modifier to the gear lube...the noise might clear up when you add the limited slip additive to the gear lube.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 01:46 PM

Check with Dr Diff. I have heard that some aftermarket gear sets are noisier than others so it might not indicate a problem. However, it would also indicate the noise will not go away so if that will bother you consider that. Or get louder mufflers.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 02:38 PM

Limited slip lube WILL NOT affect gear whine. Some ratios are slightly noisy. Many times the pinion shim is reused and the pattern is "good enough". A lot of time can be spent disassembling and reassembling the parts to get it right. I do axles at a GM dealer, GM recomends (even under warantee) if the gear set has been run over 100 miles with the wrong set-up to replace it. I have seldom had to do that. I have had some noisy 83/4 with good patterns. Most of the time around 45 mph with no load.
Doug
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 02:42 PM

Quote:

Limited slip lube WILL NOT affect gear whine. Some ratios are slightly noisy. Many times the pinion shim is reused and the pattern is "good enough". A lot of time can be spent disassembling and reassembling the parts to get it right. I do axles at a GM dealer, GM recomends (even under warantee) if the gear set has been run over 100 miles with the wrong set-up to replace it. I have seldom had to do that. I have had some noisy 83/4 with good patterns. Most of the time around 45 mph with no load.
Doug

Gear noise is annoying, but depending on your exhaust and how bad it is, you may not hear it. I have seen gearsets with an excellent pattern and somewhat noisy.
Posted By: RussW

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have seen gearsets with an excellent pattern and somewhat noisy.

Richmond Gear
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 06:11 PM

A noisy gear set with an excellent pattern can sometimes be quieted down by increasing the backlash.

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 06:22 PM

Thanks for the input from all of you.
The diff in question has the gears I want and it's
from a good known Mopar speed shop, so I thought it should be ok.
Also I want to use this for autoX and some SoloII racing no drag racing, maybe it's not the right Suregrip for my use? I am not to sure of the difference between the different styles Suregrips out there.
Here is the listing for it, if that helps the decision.
Thanks.

Almost new center section - 20 miles on gear set.

Gear set is good but has gear noise. We had our manufacturer go back thru the assembly and there is nothing wrong with the center section.

All parts are brand new except for case. Includes US Gear Ring & Pinion, Auburn posi, Timken bearings and races, Mopar 7290 strap type yoke.

Attached picture 4842352-chucker54_2029_15659883.jpg
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 06:38 PM

Pass. Is that the gear that is pictured? If so the pinion is too deep into the ring gear.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 06:38 PM

What are they asking for it?

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 07:23 PM

$750.00
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 07:27 PM

WAYYYYY to much! $250 maybe
plus its a cone type --look for a clutch unit.

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 07:40 PM

Quote:

WAYYYYY to much! $250 maybe
plus its a cone type --look for a clutch unit.

bad pattern, noisy gears, cone posi, outrageous price. Please tell me you haven't cut a check for this malfunctioning unit.

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 07:46 PM

I think you guys are right, the more I write about it the more I think I should just get what I want the first time from Dr Diff.
Why go to all the work I have been on this car and stick something in that I didn't want in the first place. Just gotta work a lil harder longer.
Thanks.

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 07:50 PM

Dr Diff will do you right
Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: Gear noise - 11/27/08 10:57 PM

Quote:

Dr Diff will do you right

Yes He will. Best price that I found for a new remanufactured 742 case with 4.30's that are quiet as a mouse.
© 2024 Moparts Forums