Moparts

Unknown Transmission

Posted By: Mikeymopar68

Unknown Transmission - 03/05/13 11:43 PM

A friend just showed me a 4 speed trans he claims came out of an early 60's Dodge. The front spline has 23 grooves and it rotates freely. He told me that the internals are in very good shape when he checked it out. On the tail shaft there is a raised letter "A" which has a zero in the middle of it and the raised number on the tail is C-85638-K. There is an access panel on the left side that is held on with ten bolts. That's about all I have at the moment. I didn't have a camera with me. Any ideas what this is and if it's worth saving or scraping?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/05/13 11:47 PM

Can't tell much without more info or a pic; if it has a flange on the rear for a B&T u-joint it's '65 or earlier. Slip yoke is '66 or later.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/05/13 11:50 PM

Quote:

A friend just showed me a 4 speed trans he claims came out of an early 60's Dodge. The front spline has 23 grooves and it rotates freely. He told me that the internals are in very good shape when he checked it out. On the tail shaft there is a raised letter "A" which has a zero in the middle of it and the raised number on the tail is C-85638-K. There is an access panel on the left side that is held on with ten bolts. That's about all I have at the moment. I didn't have a camera with me. Any ideas what this is and if it's worth saving or scraping?

Does it have the Ball and trunion output yoke on it? If so it may be a 1963 Borg Warner T10, it was a one year only deal for the non M.W. B body cars and maybe some of the 1963 and 1964 6 cylinder 4 speed A body cars

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/05/13 11:51 PM

Not being a mechanic are there any other outward markings I can look for? I won't get back to take pics until next Monday the 11th.

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/05/13 11:54 PM

Cab, I wish I knew what you are talking about. All I know is that the shaft is splined at both ends and there is nothing attached to either end. Thanks for your help
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

Cab, I wish I knew what you are talking about. All I know is that the shaft is splined at both ends and there is nothing attached to either end. Thanks for your help

If this is so then it is not an early 60's Dodge trans.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 04:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If this is so then it is not an early 60's Dodge trans.

Of course someone could have put (welded)a Mopar 23 spline input shaft into another brand of 4 speed. Is the main case and tail shaft housing iron or aluminum?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 04:25 AM

FWIW the standard A833 side cover has ten bolts...

A T10 has 9 bolts...

Maybe a look at the website below will help...
http://www.mackstrans.com/transID.html
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 05:38 AM

Attached picture 7615203-A833GMNewProcessa.png

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 06:00 AM

Quote:

Yeah... Maybe thats not the right website..Wow....

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 02:48 PM

This thing is all iron not a bit of aluminum on it!

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 02:52 PM

I will post pics early the week of March 11th when I return with my camera. It may be an 833 trans based on your comments. Thanks everyone for your input. See you in a few days!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 07:59 PM

Most likely a '66 or later 833; look for a raised pad on the passenger side of the main case, if it has one the partial VIN will be stamped there.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/06/13 08:05 PM

Never scrap a four-speed!
R.

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 03:07 AM

I made several inquiries to several transmission restoration shops and they said it is an 833 but not the desired one. It came out of a large Chrysler like a Fury or Newport from 64 or 65. May be worth $100 for the internals and that's about all. Thanks everyone.

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 04:58 AM

If it's a 64-65 it'll have the flange for a ball & trunion style driveshaft like the flange at the back of the pictured trans...

Attached picture 7616392-39314-400-0.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 06:01 PM

Quote:

I made several inquiries to several transmission restoration shops and they said it is an 833 but not the desired one. It came out of a large Chrysler like a Fury or Newport from 64 or 65. May be worth $100 for the internals and that's about all. Thanks everyone.

Everyone lusts after the 18 spline box but there's nothing wrong with a 23 spline 833.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 06:07 PM

Put it up for sale in the Classifieds section. They don't make A-833s any more and at least where I live, the prices keep rising.

You don't throw something like that away.

R.

How much does an A-833 weigh?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Put it up for sale in the Classifieds section. They don't make A-833s any more and at least where I live, the prices keep rising.

You don't throw something like that away.

R.

How much does an A-833 weigh?

I've shipped a couple of B body only Hemi boxes and was able to get it packed in a crate just under the 150lb ups limit , they are around 130-135 pounds.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 10:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah... Maybe thats not the right website..Wow....

GM did use the A833 in some pickup trucks in the mid-late 80s, and that website is geared (pun intended) toward more modern stuff, not 60s-early 70s musclecar stuff.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/07/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

I'll take 10 of them at that price!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/08/13 01:13 AM

Quote:

I had a 64 300 with a stick.

It was the ball and trunnion setup. Not the slip yoke. Not sure about 65 full sizers, but it's not a 64 or earlier if it has a slip yoke like you mentioned earlier.

Before you decide on anything wait till you can get pics posted here.

BTW, there are two sizes of A833. A bodies and then everything else. B, C trucks all used the same trans length, A bodies had a shorter length (minor MY variations aside for either).
Posted By: therocks

Re: Unknown Transmission - 03/08/13 12:43 PM

65 was last year for 4 speed B&T.I have one in my 65.Autos used slip yoke.last B&T we bought was 50 bucks.Its still sittong in the garage as a spare for my 65.It even had a shifter. 64 65 also had the best Hurst shifters.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums