Moparts

How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . .

Posted By: Pale_Roader

How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 12:33 PM

(dont laugh)

Behind a mild 383 and 3 speed? 3100-3200lb car.

Now, let me assure you, this is NOT something i would 'get into' or 'stand on' or even push much beyond normal daily driving. Just a last-ditch question from a (growing) desperate man that REALLY needs a car to drive.

My 6cyl Challenger needs an engine. The plan was the usual full deal... engine, 4 speed, 8 3/4", suspension, brakes, everything needed to build a big block car. I have all the parts save a few details. I have nothing for a slant 6, and i dont want a slant 6... i have ALL the big block stuff to bolt it in. The details are all in the rear... no 8 3/4" pig, no rear brakes, no driveshaft, and missing a couple key 4-speed parts. It would be SOOOOO easy to just bolt that 383 up to the 230 3-speed (already in the car and installed) and go for a drive. But would the rear last if i was REALLY nice to it? Again... just a temporary measure.

We killed a 7 1/4" in a 71 Duster in about a years time with a very tired ol' 318/auto... but we were really being tools about it. It gave us LOTS ov warning before it went too. That car weighed about 3400lbs.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 01:07 PM

You answered your question with your last statement. If you don't abuse it, it should last.

Post some pics of your Challenger. From what I remember you describing it as, it has very few, if any, options, right?

Mike.
Posted By: horsepower.2007

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 01:44 PM

I blew the spider gears right out the back cover on two totally stock 318 dusters with 7-1/4 rears.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

You answered your question with your last statement. If you don't abuse it, it should last.

Not really? There is a big difference, in HP and especially torque between a tired bone stock 71 318 and a healthy original 67 383 with intake, carb, cam and exhaust... But yeah, if i can just drive it like a normal human and listen to the lope for now around i'd be happy. I actually DO possess the restraint to not do burnouts and launches, or stoplight drags until i get the 8 3/4" in there.

Quote:

Post some pics of your Challenger. From what I remember you describing it as, it has very few, if any, options, right?

Mike.

It has only the 2 watt AM radio, bucket seats and wheelwell chrome trim as options... and i dont consider the first two to be options on an E-body. It didn't even get undercoated.

Attached picture 7603939-Feyd.png

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:03 PM

Quote:

I blew the spider gears right out the back cover on two totally stock 318 dusters with 7-1/4 rears.

Yeah... but you were trying REAL hard... Right? haha

My friend's Duster's 7 1/4" made a real mess when it finally gave too.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not really? There is a big difference, in HP and especially torque between a tired bone stock 71 318 and a healthy original 67 383 with intake, carb, cam and exhaust... But yeah, if i can just drive it like a normal human and listen to the lope for now around i'd be happy. I actually DO possess the restraint to not do burnouts and launches, or stoplight drags until i get the 8 3/4" in there.

Quote:

Mike.

It has only the 2 watt AM radio, bucket seats and wheelwell chrome trim as options... and i dont consider the first two to be options on an E-body. It didn't even get undercoated.

Yeah, I know the difference between a tired 318 and warmed over 383 but if you drove the 383 lightly, there's no reason the diff shouldn't last for a while.

Thanks for the pic.

Mike.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I know the difference between a tired 318 and warmed over 383 but if you drove the 383 lightly, there's no reason the diff shouldn't last for a while.

Well, i hope you're right... because if fortunes dont change around here very quick, it might just to come this...

Quote:

Thanks for the pic.

Mike.

Sadly it didn't look like that as delivered... i obviously added the rollers, deleted the wheelwell moldings, and the rake was created by jamming some wood between the diff and the body, otherwise the quarters would sit on the wheels... I do have new leafs and a practically NOS 8 3/4" diff (minus the pig and brakes) for it, but its the rest thats gonna cost me to install it, not to mention the time factor.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:37 PM

I had one in a 68 Dart behind a 440 and it held up to daily driving for 3 yrs.

but I drove it like a GranMa all the time. pulled the 440 and went 340 and then hammerd it for 2-3 months then spit the spiders out the cover doing a 1 wheel peel for 2 blocks...BANG!

it drove well and would ride like the wind on the interstate but I never spun the tires with the 440 like that.

do what you got to do to keep from walking IMHO,just remeber you are never far from walking if you hammer it.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:37 PM

I blew the carrier in my /6 valaint just by putting it into reverse at idle..
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:42 PM

I grenaded a 7-1/4 rear that I had in a Challenger a few years ago just one week after I swapped a warmed over 360 in place of the tired 318 that was in front of it before. All it took was one slight punch while going around a corner. Snapped the tail shaft on my transmission at the same time. Not fun

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

I had one in a 68 Dart behind a 440 and it held up to daily driving for 3 yrs.

but I drove it like a GranMa all the time. pulled the 440 and went 340 and then hammerd it for 2-3 months then spit the spiders out the cover doing a 1 wheel peel for 2 blocks...BANG!

it drove well and would ride like the wind on the interstate but I never spun the tires with the 440 like that.

do what you got to do to keep from walking IMHO,just remeber you are never far from walking if you hammer it.

WOW. If you're being serious here, then i have nothing to worry about. A 440 is definitely excessive for a 7 1/4"!

Like i said, for now i could just be content to drive around, you know... GET to work... and impress the plebs with that sick Whiplash idle through the 3" Spintechs... And yes... i CAN BS my way out ov a race if need be... Had to do that for a YEAR in my 70 455 Skylark daily driver with a LOUD rod hammering away at the block... and i was an 18 year old punk then.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 10:01 PM

I am serious. i drove it very easy with no heavy throttle at all. same deal needing to get to work and bring milk/dipers home.

got another daily driver and pulled the 440 out and went 340. then it was till it went bang!

built the A-body 8 3/4 with moser axles,killed the dart and have had it in 2 trucks,it now has a 440 in front of it in the 88 truck.

it can be done with a 7 1/4 but you will have to "want it too"

**my disclaimer***..."result will vary"
Posted By: dOoC

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 10:06 PM

Quote:

A 440 is definitely excessive for a 7 1/4"!

NOT if you consider s4t's FL tune-up ! ...

J/K
Posted By: franks lil red

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 11:11 PM

this guy thinks 71/4" are plenty strong sounds like the fan is rubbing a little. link http://youtu.be/x5LF61q-Pko check out what the guy had to say. i do feel for the guy.
Posted By: 469runner

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 11:24 PM

Had a 440 in my 1970 barracuda, originally a 318 car with 7 1/4" rear. Drove that car for years, peelouts, no sure grip, but it surprised me how well it held up. Eventually rebuilt entire car and then put in a proper 8 3/4" rear. The 7 inch rear was still good when it came out. Chrysler built all their stuff strong.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 11:43 PM

Quote:

I actually DO possess the restraint to not do burnouts and launches, or stoplight drags until i get the 8 3/4" in there.

Yeah...but what about all the people who owned it before you? There is no guarantee a part like that is only going to fail at a convenient and safe time like launching at a stop light. The 7 1/4 in my challenger went out not long after swapping in the mild 360 that lives there now. Ring gear carrier broke on one side and nearly twisted in half on the other, while shooting the spider gears out the back cover. It was dramatic and quite dangerous when it happened since I was going down a mountain road, rears locked up, car went sideways, etc.

If you want to run an old unit like that I would pull it apart and inspect it very well. Maybe even mag check it for cracks. No way I would try it with a big block though, but I guess it all comes down to your past experiences.
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/26/13 11:53 PM

That's the problem. And that sort of lesson does not just apply to axles. Imagine NEEDING to use power? Like to get out of the way of a big truck, or avoiding getting rear ended, or etc etc. And now imagine someone riding with you. And maybe things would have worked out, only your axle grenaded. You cannot predict and control what happens out on the roads, and setting yourself up to fail in this manner is unnecessary and dangerous to others.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 02:42 AM

If you have nothing to drive and putting the 383 in the Challenger will net you a drivable car, I'd do it right away. When the rear finally lets go, you can swap in an 8 3/4 and drive shaft at that time. Any amount of time you can get out of the 7 1/4 is just a free bonus.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

Had a 440 in my 1970 barracuda, originally a 318 car with 7 1/4" rear. Drove that car for years, peelouts, no sure grip, but it surprised me how well it held up. Eventually rebuilt entire car and then put in a proper 8 3/4" rear. The 7 inch rear was still good when it came out. Chrysler built all their stuff strong.

Yeah... i know a few guys that drag race mild to not so mild small block Chevy's with 7.5" rears, and many ov them have had good luck. But then again... thats an apple, this is an orange. One races a 400HP 350 with a 7.5" mini-spool and slicks at the track. He's blown it twice in three years ov racing.

Another 440 7 1/4" combo... Cool I guess it will do for now if it comes to that. Sure would be a LOT easier not to have to pull that tranny, shaft, rear and suspension right now...

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 11:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I actually DO possess the restraint to not do burnouts and launches, or stoplight drags until i get the 8 3/4" in there.

Yeah...but what about all the people who owned it before you? There is no guarantee a part like that is only going to fail at a convenient and safe time like launching at a stop light. The 7 1/4 in my challenger went out not long after swapping in the mild 360 that lives there now. Ring gear carrier broke on one side and nearly twisted in half on the other, while shooting the spider gears out the back cover. It was dramatic and quite dangerous when it happened since I was going down a mountain road, rears locked up, car went sideways, etc.

If you want to run an old unit like that I would pull it apart and inspect it very well. Maybe even mag check it for cracks. No way I would try it with a big block though, but I guess it all comes down to your past experiences.

This was a one-owner, grannied 6cyl car with good service records... odd are its as good as you'll find in an old car.

My friends went when he was doing 70MPH on the highway in the rain. That was bad, but could have been worse. Like i said... its only temporary. I'm not gonna be able to drive like a ninny forever...

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 11:59 AM

Quote:

That's the problem. And that sort of lesson does not just apply to axles. Imagine NEEDING to use power? Like to get out of the way of a big truck, or avoiding getting rear ended, or etc etc. And now imagine someone riding with you. And maybe things would have worked out, only your axle grenaded. You cannot predict and control what happens out on the roads, and setting yourself up to fail in this manner is unnecessary and dangerous to others.

We were talking about this a week ago... and thats the only real concern, especially living right in the chaos ov "civilization" and all... Sounds like in all but the most bizarre circumstances i should be safe though. Yeah... i'm a gambler.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 12:02 PM

Quote:

If you have nothing to drive and putting the 383 in the Challenger will net you a drivable car, I'd do it right away. When the rear finally lets go, you can swap in an 8 3/4 and drive shaft at that time. Any amount of time you can get out of the 7 1/4 is just a free bonus.

Heh... the one other negative would be that when the 8 3/4" finally does go in, along with the bigger brakes, shaft, etc... my car will slow down noticeably. Damn. Even putting an 8 1/4" in the Duster after the lil one went, and with the same size brakes and shaft, his car slowed noticeably. Not that this will change my plans though...
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My 6cyl Challenger needs an engine.

Really? A 3100lb bigblock Challenger? I think it's going to be a lot heavier than that.
Posted By: Mapandjlp

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 03:08 PM

I'd guess my warmed 360 is around 330HP or so. I've been running it in front of the 7 1/4 in my Challenger for two years with no issues. I've been known to tear up the right rear tire from time to time. Still no problem. I do have a sure grip, 3.23, 8 3/4 all ready to go but haven't had the time to swap it out.

I'd say do it. Worst case, you're forced to swap in an 8 3/4....
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

I'd guess my warmed 360 is around 330HP or so. I've been running it in front of the 7 1/4 in my Challenger for two years with no issues. I've been known to tear up the right rear tire from time to time. Still no problem. I do have a sure grip, 3.23, 8 3/4 all ready to go but haven't had the time to swap it out.

Actually, worst case is like what happened to me - my transmission tail shaft snapped in two when the 7-1/4 failed and locked up, and made having to replace the rear end cost me a new transmission as well. That was an expensive lesson learned. Worst part was, I had a good 8-3/4" with 3.23 sure grip laying around but was too lazy to change the rear when i changed the engine from the tired 318 to the nicely built 360 with T/A heads.
Posted By: Mapandjlp

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 03:43 PM

Quote:

Actually, worst case is like what happened to me - my transmission tail shaft snapped in two when the 7-1/4 failed and locked up, and made having to replace the rear end costing me a new transmission as well. That was an expensive lesson learned. Worst part was, I had a good 8-3/4" with 3.23 sure grip laying around but was too lazy to change the rear when i changed the engine from the tired 318 to the nicely built 360 with T/A heads.

Ok. Best case, when your 7 1/4 finally gives up, you'll be forced to install an 8 3/4.

Worst case, anything beyond best case.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, worst case is like what happened to me - my transmission tail shaft snapped in two when the 7-1/4 failed and locked up, and made having to replace the rear end costing me a new transmission as well. That was an expensive lesson learned. Worst part was, I had a good 8-3/4" with 3.23 sure grip laying around but was too lazy to change the rear when i changed the engine from the tired 318 to the nicely built 360 with T/A heads.

Ok. Best case, when your 7 1/4 finally gives up, you'll be forced to install an 8 3/4.

To me, simple economics dictates doing the swap ASAP. Besides the potential overrunning clutch / output shaft / extension housing tranny costs, there's this simple fact:

A serviceable 7-1/4" has some valve, even if only as trade bait. A blown up one is just scrap iron, to be melted into more Hyundais and Prisus'.

No bucks for an 8-3/4"? Find an 8-1/4" the right width (Dakota? Cherokee?)

Rick
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/27/13 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really? A 3100lb bigblock Challenger? I think it's going to be a lot heavier than that.

Our '72 Challenger, small block with iron heads, full interior, and all metal body weighs 3,300 pounds. My Duster is exactly the same weight.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/28/13 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No... you read right. My original plan should come out to that, its a pretty spartan rig and i'm a master at weight-reduction. Now, if i have to sell my brand new fiberglass hood and fancy wheels to fund the rest i'll be closer to 3200lbs, but not over.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/28/13 12:42 PM

Quote:

Tear up the rear TIRE... Haha. I'm hoping mines a sure-grip. The one in my friends Duster was. Not that i'll be 'using' the sure-grip...

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/28/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, worst case is like what happened to me - my transmission tail shaft snapped in two when the 7-1/4 failed and locked up, and made having to replace the rear end cost me a new transmission as well. That was an expensive lesson learned. Worst part was, I had a good 8-3/4" with 3.23 sure grip laying around but was too lazy to change the rear when i changed the engine from the tired 318 to the nicely built 360 with T/A heads.

Well, if that happens to me i'll have wrecked a 230 3-speed and the stock (too small for a 8 3/4") driveshaft.

But no... worst case would be like when my friends Duster finally blew (after months ov listening to that lovely grinding noise get louder... and louder... and LOUDER... and LOUDER...)... at 70mph, on the highway, in mild evening traffic, in the rain... and the snapped axle/wheel/tire actually slid out, munched his quarter lip, and made its way across the passing lane and into the ditch... dropping his left rear bumper onto the asphalt and steering his dangerously procrastinating ass immediately towards the right shoulder... with an oncoming bridge/river about an 1/8th mile ahead.

Heh... yeah... worst case would be that tire actually slammed into another car, probably full ov nuns and crippled children... and took it out, and him actually flying off that embankment into the river...

He got lucky. Cost him a $60 tow, a $400 bill to pay some random mechanic swap in the 8 1/4" i had for him, and about 1/2" ov metal off the corner ov his rusty rear bumper. And we never did find that axle/wheel/tire. Dammit... that was a perfectly good 15x8" small-bolt-pattern slot mag. Looked for that thing for a goddamn hour...

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 02/28/13 01:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To me, simple economics dictates doing the swap ASAP. Besides the potential overrunning clutch / output shaft / extension housing tranny costs, there's this simple fact:

A serviceable 7-1/4" has some valve, even if only as trade bait. A blown up one is just scrap iron, to be melted into more Hyundais and Prisus'.

No bucks for an 8-3/4"? Find an 8-1/4" the right width (Dakota? Cherokee?)

Rick

RICK! I'm honored.

I have to debate your one point though... Here, where i am, a 7 1/4" has NO value. Nothing. Only the toothless cockroach scrap-metal thieves eyeing my backyard would find value in it. You cant sell ANYTHING here anymore. I sat on a really nice drum-to drum 8 3/4" for 3 years because no one would give me $150 for it. Before that the previous two 8 3/4's (E-body and A-body) sat as long because i wanted just a bit more.

I would love to find a loving home for all this rather rare E-body 6-cyl stuff... but in my moments ov lucidity i know that i will be buried with it...

And i HAVE a nearly NOS 8 3/4" housing and axles i've hoarded for THIS car... been under a workbench since 1971. Just have no pig, no shaft, and no rear brakes, nor the money to rebuild it with all the little (yet surprisingly costly) stuff it needs. I even have new leafs for it (yet again, no hardware for them either).
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/01/13 06:35 AM

Your rear brakes that are on the 7 1/4 will bolt right onto the 8 3/4 when you have to put it in. Been there, done that with my 71 Challenger when I swapped from 7 1/4 to 8 3/4. Sounds like you need to just scrounge up an 8 3/4 chunk to have a complete 8 3/4.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/01/13 06:49 AM

In your situation, with your budget, or lack thereof, I think it's time to run what you brung. Slap it together with whatever you have and start putting some miles on that car. Even if you do have to baby it.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/01/13 10:32 AM

Quote:

Your rear brakes that are on the 7 1/4 will bolt right onto the 8 3/4 when you have to put it in. Been there, done that with my 71 Challenger when I swapped from 7 1/4 to 8 3/4. Sounds like you need to just scrounge up an 8 3/4 chunk to have a complete 8 3/4.

Good to know.

I passed up a decent deal on a 741 8 3/4" sure grip last year... i shouldn't have. Was waiting for a nice 489 or 742. Grrr... I just sold literally 4 8 3/4" pigs too, in the last year. Thought i'd have no use for them. All 741 highway gears and open.

I HAD some really nice, recently done 8 3/4" C-body 11x3" brakes... but for the life ov me i cant find 'em now. REALLY hoping they didn't get sold with the last 8 3/4" i flogged.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/01/13 10:42 AM

Quote:

In your situation, with your budget, or lack thereof, I think it's time to run what you brung. Slap it together with whatever you have and start putting some miles on that car. Even if you do have to baby it.

Yup... unless fortunes change and soon, looks like i'll be going the welfare route.

I just wanna drive the damn thing. Its been sitting in my driveway collecting rust since i bought it in 1999. I've only driven it once, with the ailing slant-6 and solid rear 'suspension'... just around the block and chugging like a crippled locomotive on 20 year old gas... but even that was just damn cool. I think the last time i had a Challenger insured was about 1997...

If i could stand to listen to a 6-cylinder for even a couple months i'd just drive it as-is and do the whole 'fill the oil, check the gas' bit like with my last car...
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/01/13 11:49 AM

Personally, I'd love to have a Slant E-body.

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/02/13 11:51 AM

Quote:

Personally, I'd love to have a Slant E-body.

You know... the way life's been going these days there have been more and more times where i've thought if someone actually wanted to pay for this car i'd actually sell it. I've had serious interest from 3 different slant-6 freaks now (not including you), but the trouble with /6 cars is that everyone wants to pay /6 prices for them. Sure... its not a TX9 71 /6 Barracuda rag... but its still a damn straight, neat car.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/03/13 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep...considering my Duster weighs 3400 lbs with
a 360 and an A904 (lighter)tranny.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/03/13 12:18 AM

Sorry Pale...didn't see your "master of weight loss" post! Not to get off topic here but, I would like to lose a bunch of weight off my car too eventually(fiberglass etc). Nice pic of your E body BTW!

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/03/13 01:05 AM

Quote:

Sorry Pale...didn't see your "master of weight loss" post! Not to get off topic here but, I would like to lose a bunch of weight off my car too eventually(fiberglass etc). Nice pic of your E body BTW!

Yeah... bone stock but with some very heavy wheels/tires on it it scaled at 2975lbs. I'll be taking a big pile o weight out ov it before i put anything heavier back in.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: How long would a 7 1/4" last... . . . - 03/03/13 03:28 AM

cool ride. disconnect or tune down the accelerator pump if you really want to play it safe.
© 2024 Moparts Forums