Moparts

Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed?

Posted By: moparmedic

Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 02:51 AM

I bolted up my flywheel with the bolts that came with it and torqued them. I noticed that the bolts protrude through the back of the crank a little, maybe 2 or 3 threads and come very close to the back of the block. The clearance is a little more than a sheet of paper. Is that normal? If not, is it safe to use grade 8 washers with the bolts to compensate?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 03:24 AM

Quote:

I bolted up my flywheel with the bolts that came with it and torqued them. I noticed that the bolts protrude through the back of the crank a little, maybe 2 or 3 threads and come very close to the back of the block. The clearance is a little more than a sheet of paper. Is that normal? If not, is it safe to use grade 8 washers with the bolts to compensate?

A sheet of paper??? I wouldn't run it! Just grind a thread or two off (carefully) clean up with a die and sleep well

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 03:37 AM

Well now that is a good idea, why didn't I think of that? Thanks!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 05:34 AM

Did you use harden flat washers under the bolt heads? If not, why not the thin(.060 or so) harden head bolt washers will keep the heads of the bolts from eating into the flywheel

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 03:49 PM

I didn't use any washers because the bolts didn't come with any. Just figured that was the way it was supposed to be.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 04:03 PM

Quote:

I didn't use any washers because the bolts didn't come with any. Just figured that was the way it was supposed to be.

that is correct, they are designed to be used as is & they have a machined surface on the underside of the head. trim em as is if you can get to the ends & if not remove them & trim them then reinstall/torque with loctite
Posted By: kloyiod

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/22/13 07:29 PM

Hey moparmedic- Which bolts are we talking here? The bolts that connect the flexplate to the block, or the flex to the converter??

Re: Flywheel Bolts, How much clearance needed? - 02/24/13 05:48 PM

Flywheel to crank bolts. I did as suggested and used hardened washers and locktite.
© 2024 Moparts Forums