Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/18/13 06:52 PM

No!!NO!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/18/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

Would it be a good idea to put lock tight on connecting
rod nuts/bolts.

No, the only thing to put on the threads is oil, FYI there are 2 torque values for a fastner, wet or dry, use the proper one

Mike
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/18/13 11:57 PM

I use 30wt non synthetic eng oil on rod bolts then blow em off with shop air. After torquing I wouldn't have a problem with adding some green loctite to the threads on the end which the "green" is designed to wick down into threads with them assembled tho with them already coated with a thin film of eng oil the loctite might not bond properly but a person could clean the end threads with a shot of brake kleen or similar first & it'd be worth a try & cheap & I'd sleep better at night . I've only has a con rod bolt come loose once & that was on a DD /6
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 05:34 AM

Quote:

I use 30wt non synthetic eng oil on rod bolts then blow em off with shop air. After torquing I wouldn't have a problem with adding some green loctite to the threads on the end which the "green" is designed to wick down into threads with them assembled tho with them already coated with a thin film of eng oil the loctite might not bond properly but a person could clean the end threads with a shot of brake kleen or similar first & it'd be worth a try & cheap & I'd sleep better at night . I've only has a con rod bolt come loose once & that was on a DD /6

Never in a hundred years would I even think of doing that ROBERT why would you want to take a chance of those chemicals getting into the oil after warming the motor up The factory uses oil and has for a lot of years, the nut and bolt are designed to have a set amount of clamping force with the oil set at the torque recommendned, not any other lubricants or chemicals
Posted By: dogdays

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 05:48 AM

R.
Loctite does not belong on them.
Posted By: ek3

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 05:58 AM

arp makes a very good rod bolt lube. you need to understand that the rod bolt is tightened to yeild a stretch value. this places a clamping load on the bolt. if the bolts are properly installed [not binding at the shank]they should torque to specs.the use of lube greatly effects the actual load applied. a bolt can bind and yeild a false torque spec,then loosen up with use. i would never use lock tite....

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

Are you kidding us? I can't believe you even posted this?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

arp makes a very good rod bolt lube. you need to understand that the rod bolt is tightened to yeild a stretch value. this places a clamping load on the bolt. if the bolts are properly installed [not binding at the shank]they should torque to specs.the use of lube greatly effects the actual load applied. a bolt can bind and yeild a false torque spec,then loosen up with use. i would never use lock tite....

ARP lube requires a different torque spec than using oil , the factory manual torque specs are using oil .

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 02:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding us? I can't believe you even posted this?

I can ...
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/19/13 04:27 PM

if you are oiling them, or lubing them with ARP lube dont forget to apply some under the head, as that can alter torque readings if that is left dry and the threads are wet.

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/20/13 05:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ARP lube requires a different torque spec than using oil , the factory manual torque specs are using oil .

DUH! I SAID A BOLT IS TIGHTENED TO YEILD A STRETCH VALUE- NOT TORQUE. please re-read post. .. yea i know,they dont make good quaker state like the old days,that will throw the old manuals specs off a mile rite there.. while you are at it,if you want to ensure the rod bolts are the best they can be,use arp brand bolts. they will require about 50 lbs torque to yeild proper stretch as compared to the stock 45 lbs... Also, rod bolts stretch with each use-

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/20/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DUH! I SAID A BOLT IS TIGHTENED TO YEILD A STRETCH VALUE- NOT TORQUE. please re-read post. .. yea i know,they dont make good quaker state like the old days,that will throw the old manuals specs off a mile rite there.. while you are at it,if you want to ensure the rod bolts are the best they can be,use arp brand bolts. they will require about 50 lbs torque to yeild proper stretch as compared to the stock 45 lbs... Also, rod bolts stretch with each use-

Oh boy another narcissistic [censored] with internet access ... wonderful ...

ARP bolt lube is for ARP bolts, ARP is the only maker I know of that gives a spec for bolt stretch. You are ASSuMEing that everyone uses ARP bolts and owns a bolt stretch gauge , I DON'T assume that which is why I was pointing it out to those that are just reading along.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/20/13 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ARP bolt lube is for ARP bolts, ARP is the only maker I know of that gives a spec for bolt stretch. You are ASSuMEing that everyone uses ARP bolts and owns a bolt stretch gauge , DON'T ...

I've used those old O.E.M. bolts over and over for 40+years and have yet have the first one come loose !!
Posted By: dogdays

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/20/13 08:37 PM

UNLESS a rod bolt is a torque-to-yield type IT DOES NOT GET LONGER with each use.
Torque is generally set at 75% - 80% of yield strength. That is still in the elastic region.
You have to exceed yield strength to permanently elongate the bolt, called plastic deformation.

R.

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ARP bolt lube is for ARP bolts, ARP is the only maker I know of that gives a spec for bolt stretch. You are ASSuMEing that everyone uses ARP bolts and owns a bolt stretch gauge ---[ your words not mine]-- I DON'T assume that which is why I was pointing it out to those that are just reading along. --[ you assume the OP. was using a stock bolt then. he never said that . what if he had arp bolts and you said use oil? just so those reading along dont use the wrong oil on their arp bolts!] --- [/te] ARP will work on the stock bolts just fine. the torque value will change but not the stretch. all rod bolts stretch. no assumption. the factory issued torque spec. is a value that will usually give the needed stretch to that bolt. just to be clear when i say all rod bolts stretch, while torqued to specs .
Posted By: 70runner

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 03:43 AM

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 04:45 AM

Quote:

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 12:54 PM

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 02:11 PM

I use Acme Superglue...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 02:22 PM

Weld-em.
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 04:17 PM

Also, it's good practice to do some pre engine build stretching so when you are pulling on the torque wrench you don't pull a muscle.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 07:27 PM

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Posted By: moparmikethree

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 08:04 PM

All I wanted to know if it would be added insurance. I figured if you use oil to get the proper torque , lock tight (when wet) would act the same as oil
Posted By: stumpy

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 09:24 PM

NO lock tight. It isn't added insurance. It's totally not necessary.

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 09:35 PM

Quote:

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

No stretching huh?

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 10:37 PM

Quote:

All I wanted to know if it would be added insurance. I figured if you use oil to get the proper torque , lock tight (when wet) would act the same as oil

Nice thought but just because it is a liquid does not mean it is viscious like oil ... or a moly lube ...

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice thought but just because it is a liquid does not mean it is viscious like oil ... or a moly lube ...

Loctite is a aerobic sp? it cures hard in the absence of air, so it's curing before you can get the hardware tight and will affect the torque. It's not a lube at all, none.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/21/13 11:39 PM

WOW!, I guess I'm one of the few, I ALWAYS LOCTITE ROD BOLTS.
Posted By: R/T Lee

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/22/13 01:31 AM

Just an FYI that might help you. My work sent me to a Loctite seminare. My general ideas about Loctite before this class was usually negative. But now I have a diffrent outlook on the product (when used properly). A couple tips to help you is everything must be clean! And make sure you are using the correct grade/strength. generally blue= normal grade, Red= high strength, green = high grade(bearing retainer). There are hundreads of grades inbetween, this is how I remember. Also, Loctite only bonds to metals that corrode. So Stainless, aluminum won't work. (They make special primers u can spray to work on these metals, but wont work without). As to your original question, it's not neccessary. You can use, I built a 318 with blue on the rod bolts just for the heck of it. And built another sb for a customer (from his request), but usually I use 30w oil. Hope this helps.
Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/22/13 01:41 AM

The nuts don't usaully loosen up if they are torqued to the right spec or stretch value,most rods still have tight nuts even when they exit through the block or oil pan

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/22/13 02:21 AM

Of it's everyone worse nightmare come true if a rod bolt/nut were to come loose or not get torque right or enough.

Why back when, when I built my first couple motors I remember laying in bed at night thinking to myself, did I torque all those nuts on the rods? Then I couldn't sleep. Then the next day I would check em again even though I had to pull the pan and none were ever loose.

Then I got into a routine and do it the same way every time and never stop or mess around when I'm doing the bottom end. I usually am by myself with no interruptions and can almost do it blind.

Especially when I was rebuilding brad hemis every week. I rebuilt them I swear 75 or more times and never ever started them at the shop. Always waited until we got the track to fire them and never ever had a bad engine, they always ran killer. I'm pretty proud of that fact.

But I remember when loctite hit the market it was never for critical fasteners like rod and main cap bolts/nuts that needed to stretch.

Re: lock tight on connecting rod bolts - 02/22/13 02:29 AM

I built the hemis during the day and my crew guys would put it in the car at night while I worked on work trucks.

Then they replaced the upper rod bearing every run at the track and the lower about ever 4-5 passes. They were in the bottom every run, so they were no strangers to the motor.
Torqued a bunch of fasteners in my time.

The head bolts will kick your butt, try doing that a couple times a day on 90 degree day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums