Moparts

2001 Durango can't get shifter out of park

Posted By: babarracuda

2001 Durango can't get shifter out of park - 02/17/13 04:54 PM

I've started to have problems getting the column shifter out of park after starting. It feels like it's mechanical. I've pressed harder on the brake pedal and pushed the key in the ignition switch. It feels like some thing mechanical is not lining up. if I jiggle the shifter it magically frees up. As long as I don't shut off the engine and remove the key I have no porblems. Please Help!
Posted By: Todd

Re: 2001 Durango can't get shifter out of park - 02/17/13 05:56 PM

Take the covers off the column put some lube on the shift lock lever. Its spring loaded and the lube dries out over time and the spring can't retract it when you turn the key to the run position.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 2001 Durango can't get shifter out of park - 02/17/13 07:15 PM

is this the type that you have to step on the brake pedal to move the shifter?..if so make sure the brake switch works..have someone check the rear lights when you step on it..it might not be working correctly
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 2001 Durango can't get shifter out of park - 02/17/13 07:43 PM

^^^^^
Yes make sure your brake lights/switch works.

My wife's 05 durango has done the same thing to me a couple times at home in the driveway.
I turned it off and restarted it and it was OK?

That's as far as I looked in to it on a durango, but I have replaced the interlock on chevys and ford pickups. On a chevy there's a fuse you can pull to bypass the shifter interlock, I bet there's one on a durango?
Broken chevy shifter and interlock on the left.

New shifter and used interlock on the left.
Posted By: Todd

Re: 2001 Durango can't get shifter out of park - 02/18/13 01:05 AM

Quote:

^^^^^
Yes make sure your brake lights/switch works.

My wife's 05 durango has done the same thing to me a couple times at home in the driveway.
I turned it off and restarted it and it was OK?

That's as far as I looked in to it on a durango, but I have replaced the interlock on chevys and ford pickups. On a chevy there's a fuse you can pull to bypass the shifter interlock, I bet there's one on a durango?
Broken chevy shifter and interlock on the left.

New shifter and used interlock on the left.

Durango didn't have electric shift interlock until 04.
Up until then they were mechanical. There is a lever on a spring that gets released when the ignition switch is turned to the run position.
IIRC there was a recall on certain Dakotas and Durango that the blocker plate for the shifter lock was replaced.
© 2024 Moparts Forums