Moparts

sb mag belt sytem on a LA block

Posted By: Dakota_Don

sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/15/13 06:47 AM

so if i use all the acc, pullies, pwr steering pump,alt, and water pump?? anything else? any issues?? water neck ok?

the brackets are from a 93 3.9 dakota, and its going on a 72 LA
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/15/13 07:07 AM

will need the timing cover as well to match the water pump and then an elec fuel pump.no hole for fuel pump on a magnum and you may have to remove the eccentric to clear the timing cover.need the belt tensioner/s.

the power steering pump will have to be played with so it doesnt over press your old school box(rack pumps are more powerfull)one of the mopar mags has an artichle on this.

im not sure if some of the extra head bolts on the front of the mag heads are ness for the brakcetry,look it over.

fyi ive heard peaple have trouble with the mag belt drive while roadcoursing.rocket restorations blew several engines up in thier mag powered roadracer due to spitting out belts on a roadcourse.

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/16/13 02:47 PM

whats different bout the timing cover where the WP sits???? i know the WP is different reverse rotation and the power steering...and i have the tensioners ect..
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/16/13 04:05 PM

I am pretty sure there are bosses missing to bolt up the necessary parts.
This is probably the cleanest picture I have

Attached picture 7590396-newsensor.jpg
Posted By: tahoechallenge

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/16/13 06:29 PM

The Magnum uses a reverse rotation water pump. That's why you would need to change the timing cover and water pump to the Magnum style. Also the power steering pump bracket needs to be one from a van. The one from a truck will hit the battery.
Most newer engines use the reverse rotation water pump. This can be identified by the smooth water pump pulley.

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/16/13 08:36 PM

i new the wp was reverse rotation.. but didn't think bout anu mounting points.. i have plenty room for the ps pump.. its going in a truck

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/16/13 09:07 PM

ok i see the difference, darn I didnt wanna have to pull it that far apart.. then add a FP as well
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/17/13 04:04 AM

It'll all bolt up The last one I did I had to cut a boss down on the LA block

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 01:45 AM

bob are u saying the magnum stuff will fit the LA? i dont see how??

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 01:49 AM

LA cover

Attached picture 7594035-LAcover.JPG

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 01:49 AM

magnum cover

Attached picture 7594036-magnumcover.jpg
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 03:01 AM

The bosses on the end of the Magnum heads are all on the same plane... on LA heads, the bosses are on different planes (for a visual, you can probably stand a Magnum head on it's short end and it will stand, but try that with a LA and it will be precarious or impossible). You may need lots of washers to shim the Magnum brackets on the LA heads, which may or may not be stable.
Posted By: BigDawg72

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 03:04 AM

I had to cut a lot off of the aluminum bracket(A/C mount) to clear water neck. A/C compressor will have to be cut or ground a lot as well. I have a Professional Products Crosswind intake (Airgap clone). Ditto on what Dakota Dan said, you will need the correct timing cover. I have magnum heads so I didn't have any issues there. Motor is still on the stand so I can't tell you how well it does/doesn't work in reality. Mines headed for a truck so I'm not too worried about clearance issues with P/S pump.

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 03:12 AM

Quote:

bob are u saying the magnum stuff will fit the LA? i dont see how??

Well you need the Mag cover of course
I always consider it part of the swap

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 03:19 AM

Quote:

I had to cut a lot off of the aluminum bracket(A/C mount) to clear water neck. A/C compressor will have to be cut or ground a lot as well. I have a Professional Products Crosswind intake (Airgap clone).

Where are you putting the brace for the alt on the Crosswinds intake as well as the other brace that holds the A/C

Without these braces the big aluminum bracket will crack.

Attached picture 7594189-SAM_3662.JPG

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 03:35 AM

I haven't gotten that far yet. I just got the bracket to clear the intake this past weekend. I am not real happy with how much I had to cut the bracket and am thinking about how to add some bracing. I haven't even set the accessories in place yet. I am still toying with the idea of going FI and using the beer keg which would make things a lot easier. Megasquirt or similar is a lot of $ though.
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/19/13 04:48 AM

Quote:

I had to cut a lot off of the aluminum bracket(A/C mount) to clear water neck. A/C compressor will have to be cut or ground a lot as well. I have a Professional Products Crosswind intake (Airgap clone). Ditto on what Dakota Dan said, you will need the correct timing cover. I have magnum heads so I didn't have any issues there. Motor is still on the stand so I can't tell you how well it does/doesn't work in reality. Mines headed for a truck so I'm not too worried about clearance issues with P/S pump.

The edelbrock intake will mount the magnum style thermostat and waterneck eliminating the problem with grinding on the ac compressor (Found this out after the fact). The reverse rotation waterpump doesn't affect the operation of the cooling system by any means. I also didn't have any problems with the power steering pump being too powerful for the steering box. Had it in there since july 2012 and have had no problems with blowing seals or leaking. As far as I know the steering box has never been touched.

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/20/13 01:29 AM

so i think i have everything now, i even have 3 different water outlet housing.. thanks

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/20/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

The bosses on the end of the Magnum heads are all on the same plane... on LA heads, the bosses are on different planes (for a visual, you can probably stand a Magnum head on it's short end and it will stand, but try that with a LA and it will be precarious or impossible). You may need lots of washers to shim the Magnum brackets on the LA heads, which may or may not be stable.

do you have a pics of that??

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/20/13 02:11 AM

I'm not sure that I do, and less likely that I can find it (if it exists). Had a hard drive crash or two since then, they may be gone. Anyway, you can lay a straight edge across the end of the magnum heads and all the attachment points will be on that same level. Laying the straight edge across the end of an LA head, you'll see that different bosses are machined at different levels.

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/20/13 03:27 AM

i can use the magnum p/s bracket on the LA right??

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/20/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

The edelbrock intake will mount the magnum style thermostat and waterneck eliminating the problem with grinding on the ac compressor (Found this out after the fact).

So an Edelbrock RPM magnum version will clear the A/C? That's what I should have bought to begin with but I thought I could save a few bucks...

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/21/13 01:49 AM

Quote:

i can use the magnum p/s bracket on the LA right??

Don't know, have not tried that. You may need some washers on certain bolts to fill the gap between the Magnum bracket and the boss on the LA head.

Re: sb mag belt sytem on a LA block - 02/21/13 01:51 AM

humm so far i haven't go any straight answers if the whole set up will work with out any hitches..
© 2024 Moparts Forums