Moparts

Gas leak at the sending unit

Posted By: tripleblackcuda

Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/06/13 05:37 AM

I put some fuel in my Demon tonite and there is a leak around the sender in the tank. The sending unit and tank look new. What should I look for and has anyone ever heard of a problem with the gasket. I did not put these in.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/06/13 05:42 AM

Quote:

I put some fuel in my Demon tonite and there is a leak around the sender in the tank. The sending unit and tank look new. What should I look for and has anyone ever heard of a problem with the gasket. I did not put these in.

The gaskets can REALLY be a problem.must center the tension ring carefully. Remove it and examine and you'll see.

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/06/13 05:58 AM

I will give it a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what has happened. Thanks!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/06/13 01:22 PM

Take it apart and glue the gasket in place and reassemble. Without being glued in place it's real hard to hold the gasket in place.

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/06/13 01:35 PM

ok, i will try that today!
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/06/13 08:06 PM

If that doesn't work sometimes the problem is the flimsy locking rings that most aftermarker tanks seem to come with. A combination of making sure the gasket was centered better, a Quanta locking ring, and some glue-sealer gunk solved my leak problem.

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/07/13 02:00 AM

Ok, everybody, thanks for the advice. I took the ring off and discovered whoever installed the new sending unit in the tank put the rubber gasket on the OUTSIDE of the the sender! Taking the advice here, I used some Permatex gas resistant sealant and made sure to center the ring and I have NO leaks! Thanks for the input, these repairs are pretty easy normally, but the advice is always great!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Gas leak at the sending unit - 02/07/13 12:59 PM

Cool deal!! I have done it many times including last summer. Thought I could get the job done without glueing the gasket on and slapped it back together. Next time I fill it's leaking!

Pull it back out, luckly it's a challenger and easy to get to and glue it in place, no more leaks here.

Never throw away those old rings because like what was said the repos suck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums