Moparts

Vent window dissasembly question

Posted By: moparcyco

Vent window dissasembly question - 01/28/13 05:44 AM

I have the assemblies apart for chroming and polishing have two questions
1.In the pic the part on top does the handle seperate?If so how the hell does it come off?#2 on the bottom piece does the stud thing come out for chrome?or just leave it in there?Thanks guys

Posted By: 469runner

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/28/13 03:20 PM

The handle has a small drift pin at the base. Just drive or push it out. It is small..about the size of a finish nail. The stud the window pivots on should stay in place.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/28/13 05:57 PM

The steel pin that is at the top of the glass on the frame that gets chromed come off too. It is driven in and has splines so when removing do not twist.
Posted By: JohnH

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/28/13 06:23 PM

Geting ready to have mine chromed... who is doing yours and how much? Paul's said 300.00 each for the top parts..
Posted By: moparcyco

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/28/13 08:22 PM

Quote:

Geting ready to have mine chromed... who is doing yours and how much? Paul's said 300.00 each for the top parts..

Ogden chrome is doing mine they did a quote over the phone of 375 for all the pieces,but that could change when they actually see them.Mine are not really pitted,I just want this thing to shine.it could be cheaper they said as well.

Thanks for the help guys
Posted By: Eagleone1983

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/29/13 08:53 PM

Killerbee, hate to burst your bubble but unless Ogden Chrome ripped me off the price is going to be more in the $700 range. I had them do my vent window assemblies on the Roadrunner and I belive my final bill was $740 or something like that. They look outstanding so don't get me wrong they do great work just don't expect the phone quote to hold up. The pieces they did were the little handle, the window base,the little round/paddle looking piece that screws to the window so it can rotate and the part of the a frame that is chrome.

Make sure you disassemble that handle before giving it to them because they will lose your tiny pin and wavy washer. Also if you don't take that pin out that the window rotates in they will chrome it and you won't be able to get the paddle piece back on without grinding off the chrome. I also had to do the same thing to the large pins that are attached to the lower window base (those are part of the mould and can't be removed). Hope I made sense.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/31/13 03:46 AM

Did you see that PG Classic now carries the largest chrome frame piece? Under $400 a pair. I'm considering this. I got a quote for $600 for my set. Less if I do the prep work after they strip them. I still will have to do the window channels you show, so I may not be saving a dime with the new ones.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Vent window dissasembly question - 01/31/13 04:28 AM

Quote:

Killerbee, hate to burst your bubble but unless Ogden Chrome ripped me off the price is going to be more in the $700 range. I had them do my vent window assemblies on the Roadrunner and I belive my final bill was $740 or something like that. They look outstanding so don't get me wrong they do great work just don't expect the phone quote to hold up. The pieces they did were the little handle, the window base,the little round/paddle looking piece that screws to the window so it can rotate and the part of the a frame that is chrome.

Make sure you disassemble that handle before giving it to them because they will lose your tiny pin and wavy washer. Also if you don't take that pin out that the window rotates in they will chrome it and you won't be able to get the paddle piece back on without grinding off the chrome. I also had to do the same thing to the large pins that are attached to the lower window base (those are part of the mould and can't be removed). Hope I made sense.

I had my 70 Charger vent frames, handles and vent window glass channels done several years ago, I completely disassembled the pcs for chrome, the cost was just a little over $600 for 6 pcs total, basically the entire potmetal assy of both doors....be ready for sticker shock when you show up at the plater, the more pits in the metal base, the higher the price, because all the pits must be soldered by hand, and dressed out by hand, so your paying for labour, not the plating process...

mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums