Moparts

Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me.

Posted By: safaritow

Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/28/13 03:54 AM

So I crawled into my trunk to see how I might be able to make my trunk lid stay up when I open it (1970 RoadRunner) So it looked like three slots and all I had to do was move it over one to make it tighter.... Well Im lucky I have a face left after it came apart with me inside with it. So any one have some ideas on how to put them back with out killing me? Diagrams or pics would be great. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/28/13 06:11 AM

Hard to believe that much violent energy can be stored in such an innocent looking package.

Another one is the clock spring on a power window regulator. My arm still aches just thinking about it.

I can't help you other than to suggest the FSM. Follow the instructions EXACTLY and wear a cup, hardhat and safety glasses.

Kevin
Posted By: scamper340

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/28/13 06:27 AM

I can't remember where I saw it, but I read that you can use a ratchet strap to draw the ends of the trunk lid torsion bars together to remove them and make your adjustment. You'll need to prop the trunk lid open to relieve tension on the bars. I need to do this to mine too since I added a wing to mine.
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/28/13 04:59 PM

I took a piece 3/4" plywood, and cut it approximately 13'' X 3.5"...then cut a slot 3.5" X 1/2" in one end to make a lever to twist the trunk spring into place. I also screwed a small strap of steel across the 1/2" slot to keep the wood from splitting apart. You still have to pry the end of the spring with a screw driver or similar tool until you line up the spring with your desired slot position. My camera is dead...otherwise I would have sent you a pic.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/28/13 05:35 PM

Been there, done that! Boy was I in for a surprise how much tension was on those things. Got them back in but it was so long ago I forgot how I did it.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/28/13 05:44 PM

a person on the coronet registry board, made a metal piece that held the s shape portion in a bracket.
you could then use a ratchet to twist it into place.
seemed like a really good idea.
the board reset recently, but maybe you could post and ask them to post it again.
Posted By: safaritow

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 12:52 AM

Ok guys, Thanks for the help Ill try the wood thing and see if it works. Im a little gun shy but ill armor up befor I go in... Thanks again

Jeff
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 01:01 AM

I need to do this as well.
Posted By: A12

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 01:51 AM

Quote:

Ok guys, Thanks for the help Ill try the wood thing and see if it works. Im a little gun shy but ill armor up befor I go in... Thanks again

Jeff

Borrow someone's full face street bike helmet...
Posted By: A12

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 01:54 AM

I thought about using one of my ratchet m/c tie-downs to pull them out as mention above.....and I thought about using a couple of all-thread rods and a turnbuckle as it would be much more progressive loosening to get them back in the desired location.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 09:02 AM

Attached picture 7565623-Footballhelmet1.PNG
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 08:15 PM

Posted By: radar

Re: Help!! Trunk spring rods about killed me. - 01/29/13 10:53 PM

You can put a pipe over a vice grip
© 2024 Moparts Forums