Moparts

Reman'd Master Cylinder

Posted By: mopowers

Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/24/12 06:11 PM

I went to the autopart store yesterday and the different in price from new vs. a reman'd master cylinder for a 74 A-body was $131 for the new vs. $25 for the reman'd. Both brands were Fenco. Is there that much of a difference? Have you guys ever used these reman'd units with any success??
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/24/12 06:19 PM

I don't know that brand but yes I have had good luck with reman's (Cardone).
Posted By: roe

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/24/12 07:41 PM

I have had great results with Cardone remans as well. Have not had one fail yet. Last one was a Cardone booster/master cyl set that I put on my sig car a couple years back. Still going strong.

roe
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/24/12 09:53 PM

I've also had good luck with remans. No way I'd pay 131 for one
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/24/12 10:31 PM

Quote:

I went to the autopart store yesterday and the different in price from new vs. a reman'd master cylinder for a 74 A-body was $131 for the new vs. $25 for the reman'd. Both brands were Fenco. Is there that much of a difference? Have you guys ever used these reman'd units with any success??

Hmm, the very most expensive NEW M/C at Rock Auto is only $91. You might want to shop around.
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 03:26 AM

I never had any luck with a remanned master cylinder. It took 3 for me to get one that still only works halfway decent (Got it at oreillys). I think its a cardone. Sounds like other people have had good results though, so I may just be the odd one out here. I will not buy another remanned unit.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 04:07 AM

I've used remans for a lot of years with no problems.
Posted By: 69fish

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 04:08 AM

Went to replace mine a few weeks ago with a Cardone reman, could not get to bench bleed. Got a new one thru Napa for only a few dollars more - I think mine was around $50, but mine was for 67 Dart.
Posted By: rave_12000

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 04:22 AM

if you do pick up a reman...check the brake line threads before you take it home. i got one all the way in once...just to find enough threads missing wo where it wouldnt tighten up.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 05:25 AM

If you do decide to go new, check around. There is a lot of difference in cost of new at the different parts chains. For some reason, AZ is usually the lowest. I'm running 3 of their MC's with no problems so far ('01 Jeep, '98 Neon, '78 Ford PU).
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 06:22 AM

I have used a few over the years, most of the time they are fine,..if not, they have more!
the new ones dont always have the original appearance, if that matters to you..
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 09:53 AM

NEW one at Rockauto is $11.23

1974 DODGE DART 5.9L 360cid V8 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Master Cylinder Wiki Price Core Total
EIS Part # E77018
New Master Cylinder w/FT DISC/RR DRUM,15/16" - w/PWR BRAKES; Sport 360 Engine VIN L [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] (Only 13 Remaining)
$11.23 $0.00 $11.23
Posted By: therocks

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 02:10 PM

We used them at work a lot.We run them on our cars also.In 30 years as a tech I had maybe 2 bad remans.Mostly we used ones from Advanced.My 65s has been on at least 15 years and the kids at least 11 years.No problems.Rocky
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 02:50 PM

I'm using a $23 reman from Autozone and it works perfect
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 03:52 PM

I always check Rock Auto when I need parts. Sometimes they are a bargain, sometimes not so much. Of course you have to watch the shipping. They don't actually have any parts. They have drop ship agreements with Raybestos, Wagoner, etc., etc.. Of course they have LOTS of parts besides brake stuff. I bought Sherman rocker panels for my '89 Chevy pickup including shipping for half of the price I could find them locally.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

I usually prefer the Fenco new or remanned units over Cardone, or Tru Stop, or Duralast, I've never gotten a bad unit from Fenco in the last few decades, only issues I've ever had with Fenco is availability, because they are a small capacity mfg

Just make sure you have the right application for your intended brake set up, and benchbleed the master properly before installation

mike
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 05:19 PM

Quote:

I usually prefer the Fenco new or remanned units over Cardone, or Tru Stop, or Duralast

most if not all of the cheapie brands all come from the same rebuilders/source/place.
they are just repackaged with different names
on the box.
so one brand is no any better then the other.

fenco, i don't think is a part of that.
most failures come from parts made in india or china..
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Reman'd Master Cylinder - 12/25/12 05:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys! Whats the difference between the power disc/drum vs. the manual disc/drum?? Which one has the 15/16" piston? I'm assuming the manual one?

Quote:

NEW one at Rockauto is $11.23

1974 DODGE DART 5.9L 360cid V8 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Master Cylinder Wiki Price Core Total
EIS Part # E77018
New Master Cylinder w/FT DISC/RR DRUM,15/16" - w/PWR BRAKES; Sport 360 Engine VIN L [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] (Only 13 Remaining)
$11.23 $0.00 $11.23

Only problem with ordering something like that from Rock auto, is how do they deal with warranties?? I'd rather buy a master from somewhere local in case I have to replace it. Thanks for the heads up though! Who is EIS anyway?
© 2024 Moparts Forums