Moparts

can you dye leather?

Posted By: pnypwr

can you dye leather? - 12/14/12 04:03 AM

just like it says I have a set of grey seats id really like to be black they are leather buckets, is there a way to dye them or am i sucking it up and having them reskinned?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/14/12 06:00 AM

You can try painting them with SEM. Some members have claimed good results using that stuff on seats. I've on tried it on door panels and such.
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/14/12 04:18 PM

Are they really leather? Or vinyl?
You don't mention what they came out of, or age, etc.
Leather actually can take a dye/paint better than vinyl. However, much of today's auto industry leather has so much polyurethane on the surface it is practically vinyl anyways.
Clean it a few times, wipe it down with alcohol. You can try any of the commercially available products (SEM as noted).
However, dying anything that you are going to sit on and it is going to need to flex will not last. It all depends on what your tolerance is for how long you expect it to last.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/14/12 09:22 PM

i tried to cut and paste but im a computer moroon.google Leather Magic.lots of good info and products.i havnt tried them yet but im gunna.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/14/12 09:43 PM

http://www.leathermagic.com/

-Daty

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/15/12 03:36 AM

the seats are from a 00 mustang gt 6 way power real comfy...going into my v8 gremlin...
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/15/12 08:59 PM

Seeing they're from a mutang, doesn't someone sell repro upholstery?
Posted By: Hangtowner

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/15/12 10:36 PM

Leatherique is pretty good stuff. I have used the cleaner and the rejuvenator and seen a lot of recomendations for the dye.

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/16/12 04:30 AM

Quote:

Seeing they're from a mutang, doesn't someone sell repro upholstery?

yeah the repop covers in leather are like 700$ which is axactly twice as much as I paid for the car...im just trying to get out inexpensively...and clear a hole in the attic
Posted By: ghostrider

Re: can you dye leather? - 12/16/12 07:05 AM

http://www.keepingitsimplecrafts.com/2009/12/tutorial-tuesday-dyeing-leather.html

If the leather has that awful plasticized coating on it then this process may not work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums