Moparts

welding on running car

Posted By: dodgedart416

welding on running car - 11/19/08 12:11 AM

Need to do some welding on my dart. I already disconnected battery is there anything else that needs to be unhooked like ignition, alternator? Thanks
Posted By: solidcam

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 12:41 AM

Probably not required but I always remove the MSD grounding wire/s(if you are running one) in addition to disconnecting the battery.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 01:16 AM

keep welder ground close to work.
Posted By: dave571

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 03:18 AM

Unplugging the ground is a good precaution.

I often think the fear of wrecked electronic stuff is a little inflated, but it's aleways good to be cautious.

FWIW... I've mig welded leaking exhaust pipes on running cars(while they were actually running) next to the o2 sensor without issue.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 03:20 AM

Yep, exhaust shops work on cars day in and day out without disconnecting anything
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 03:26 AM

Quote:

Clean your ground clamp of any corrosion if its been sitting for a while.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 06:15 PM

I weld all over the place on old and new cars, trucks and have never heart anything. It's just a myth.
Posted By: VCODE

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 06:39 PM

Quote:

I weld all over the place on old and new cars, trucks and have never heart anything. It's just a myth.

Not to but my welder at work was welding a bracket on a tow truck boom and the steel braided hyd lines went on fire which made them leak

Bob
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 07:00 PM

If the bracket was on the boom and the ground was on the truck, there may have been enough grease in the boom's pivot to make the ground decide to use the nice clean hyd lines rather than the boom for a path. Electricity doesn't neccesarily take the shortest but rather, the easiest path to ground.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 07:43 PM

Quote:

Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: welding on running car - 11/19/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

Sooner or later you will be buying a computer for one of those late model cars if you don't disable them before welding.
I lost one in a Nissan that cost me $800 to replace.Not nearly as bad as the one my buddy toasted in a Ferrari.
© 2024 Moparts Forums