Moparts

Shift fork ???

Posted By: RobX4406

Shift fork ??? - 12/06/12 05:27 PM

I pulled a 4 speed apart that was having issues going into 2nd gear. This is the 1-2 fork, which I've never seen in the few stock 833 I've torn down.

All the one I've seen look like this from Brewers site.

Might that smaller fork be part of the issue with the trans not wanting to go into second gear?
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/06/12 05:30 PM

I've seen those in earlier 4-spds, '64-5 or so.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/06/12 06:30 PM

Yes it can be part of the problem. They were only used for a short time.

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/06/12 07:14 PM

I think I'll suggest buying a long arm fork and fresh synchro rings. One ring was broken and this apparently is the second time it's happened.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/06/12 08:01 PM

You are better off with the later steel forks used with the ratchet side cover.Just cut of the extension that engages the ratchet and you're good to go.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/06/12 08:23 PM

Quote:

You are better off with the later steel forks used with the ratchet side cover.Just cut of the extension that engages the ratchet and you're good to go.

works good, last a long time

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/07/12 04:58 AM

Not my transmission, doing it on a budget.

Thanks for the input regarding the cover and forks.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Shift fork ??? - 12/07/12 07:41 AM

Check with your local dodge dealer, you may be suprised on how cheap they are on some parts Don't forgget that you need to remove the little knub for it to work in aearlier trans, I broke a stock brass one at the races back in the day and I manged to beg a spare from one of the factory racers at a test and tune for Mopars only just before the Wintenationals back in the day when I raced a 4 speed car I borrow a file and filed around the knub and broke it off with a pair of vice grips plyers The steel fork are way better than the brass ones where
© 2024 Moparts Forums