Moparts

Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan?

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 07:08 AM

Looking for a stock oil pan that will work with the stock pickup. I assume the cheap ($50) ebay pans are garbage but what about the Summit pans, are they any good? Other places to look?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3543/overview/year/1971/make/plymouth/model/satellite
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 12:37 PM

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/oilpumps.html
Posted By: moparts

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 12:40 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7483173
Posted By: Blue Dodge Bob

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 05:44 PM

What about "440Source"?
Posted By: 6bblRoadrunner

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 06:09 PM

Try Dante's. Looks like they're now selling re-pop pans.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 06:13 PM

I found a nice stock 402 pan with the pickup on ebay for $75.

You can find deals if you're not in a hurry.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 06:34 PM

Why would you put a 4 qt pan on your car? I do know that people think the 6qt "Hemi" pans are worth their weight in gold. So DB at Carlise wanted $225 for one, I laughed and walked away. E-bay has some decent pans, most are 7qt and come with the correct pick-up. Are you looking for a 5 or 6qt?
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 07:52 PM

I just received my Summit pan this morning. It is for a 360 and is gold anodized. It looks ok so far. I do not think it is as heavy as the factory one, but the factory pan still had oil caked on it.
Posted By: 74RR

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 08:12 PM

Quote:

I just received my Summit pan this morning. It is for a 360 and is gold anodized. It looks ok so far. I do not think it is as heavy as the factory one, but the factory pan still had oil caked on it.

I'm very curious to see how the Summit anodized fits compared to the Ebay chrome special. Keep us updated on the fit.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 08:30 PM

Quote:

I think I got this 340 pan from Summit a few years ago, it was cheap if I remember right. It seems the same thickness as stock.

All my stockers were cutup to make deep pans out of. I wound up beating the dents out of the bottem of mt 7qt pan and reused it. I'd gladly take your old "oil caked " pan off your hands, did you buy a new one just because of that?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 09:09 PM

If it is not an aluminum pan it isn't anodized.
It is probably zinc-chromate dipped or whatever they use nowadays, if it is steel.

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/05/12 10:53 PM

For what its worth, here are some pics of the Summit pan. The reason I am replacing it, is because I needed a center sump pan. It seems like a nice pan, we'll see how good it seals. It is steel, so I guess it is not anodized, just some gold metal conditioner.

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/06/12 02:41 PM

Quote:

For what its worth, here are some pics of the Summit pan. The reason I am replacing it, is because I needed a center sump pan. It seems like a nice pan, we'll see how good it seals. It is steel, so I guess it is not anodized, just some gold metal conditioner.

Is this the $50.00 Summit pan? I wonder if it will fit better than the Ebay $50.00 pan?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/06/12 08:25 PM

Which motor and body style?

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/07/12 03:44 AM

Quote:

I thought the Summit pan was baffled??

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/07/12 03:45 AM

Quote:

Which motor and body style?

383 in a '71 Satellite...
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/07/12 04:16 AM

Quote:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/oilpumps.html

What he said
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/strebcesuoil.html
Gus

Attached picture 7492416-mysavoy.jpg
Posted By: gregn96cuda

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/07/12 05:46 AM

That's gold zinc, and it will rust if not painted.

Quote:

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/07/12 07:36 AM

I would buy and use the 1970-71 Hemi/440 6 pak pan with the 440 6pak 3/8 pickup I use them in every BB car I can, there better than great Several sources at different prices look around

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/08/12 01:20 AM

Yes it is the $50 pan. I'm not ready to install this yet, but I will dry fit it tomorrow and let you know how things go.
I do intend on painting it.

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/09/12 02:18 AM

Well I said I would tell how this fits, so here goes.
It went on real good no problems. Seems like all gaps are equal around the perimeter, so hopefully it seals well too.

Pics are without gasket.

Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/09/12 02:53 AM

The milodon stock replacement pan is a good quality piece. It even has an extra baffle. Works great with a stock pickup as well.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/09/12 02:35 PM

For a big block, I like the Hemi pans from Mancini. Extra quart of capacity, and no ground clearance penalty. You will need one of their pick-ups though. Stock pick-up will hit the baffle. I suppose you could clearance the baffle and make it work.

Note that I have had quality issues with a couple of these. One with a loose baffle, another with a cross threaded drain plug. Both were replaced before installation.

On a small block I like the Kevko pans. Well baffled, and have a extra capacity without sacrificing ground clearance. A Kevko pick-up is required.

Summit stock replacement small block pans are not baffled (even though the description on the website says they are... neither is the stock one). With the rather puny stock capacity, that makes me nervous. Milodon stock replacement pan has an added baffle, but still has puny capacity, and they are a bit pricy.

Re: Stock oil pan. Where to find a decent pan? - 12/09/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Well I said I would tell how this fits, so here goes.
It went on real good no problems. Seems like all gaps are equal around the perimeter, so hopefully it seals well too.

Pics are without gasket.

Thanks for the update!
© 2024 Moparts Forums