Moparts

Do we have clearance, Clarence?

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 08:48 AM

I'm putting a 440 in my 1970 coronet. I'm using the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a Thermoquad with a spacer to go from spread bore to square bore. Does anyone out there run this combo and is there clearance under the stock flat hood with a low profile air cleaner or air box (not ramcharger)?

Thanks,

Lindy
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 08:54 AM

I don't think that is fitting under a flat hood .

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 08:43 PM

That is my concern. Anyone out there have first hand experience with this combo or with running a Holley on this intake without the spacer?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 09:07 PM

I just put a performer rpm on my 440 in the 88 truck.

the base gasket of the carb sits a tad taller than the stock VCs or the M/T valve covers.

I would wager it does not fit.

Attached picture 7487517-rpmintake1.jpg

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 09:19 PM

I was able to use the stock throttle bracket with the 3 piece TP linkage. which I have read did not fit.

I do need to raise the throttle cable mount to level it but it is working at this angle with no binding or sticking. I am just going to weld a couple throttle clamp piece to some flat stock so it bolts to the stock bracket.

Attached picture 7487533-rpmintake4.jpg

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 09:25 PM

here is my drop base aircleaner to replace the v-stack.

I have lots of room in a truck along with a hemi scoop. it pushed the V-stack right to the touching point.

this is carb bolted to intake with just a paper gasket.

Attached picture 7487542-rpmintake0.jpg
Posted By: bordin34

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 09:33 PM

This probably doesn't help because it a 73 b-body. But here is the clearance of my 440 with a performer rpm and holley. I bet with a drop base I could just get it to fit, maybe.

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 09:38 PM

Youch! I didn't realize how arched the runners are compared to stock. Now what?? I guess I could put a Chevy cowl induction scoop between the N96 scoops... I may have to go with the Holley.
Grrrrr. I really love the look of the dual scoops. I might have to go with the A12 style six pack fiberglass hood. I'd hate that. I've got a lot of time and $$$ into that hood.
Posted By: bordin34

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 10:06 PM

My air cleaner in the picture is not a drop base.

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/03/12 10:22 PM

Really good pictures, guys. If anyone has a picture of their 70 b body...

The carb plenum I was going to use is this one.

I've seen that intake under a number of muscle car hoods at car shows. Just never paid attention to spacers, air cleaners, hoods and clearance.

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 12:45 AM

Quote:

That is my concern. Anyone out there have first hand experience with this combo or with running a Holley on this intake without the spacer?

A friend had a street dominator on a 440 in a 70 charger , the street dominator in not as tall as the RPM , had a holley , no spacer and a flat base air cleaner it had to run a 2" tall filter to allow the hood to close.

The RPM with the adapter might clear the hood without an air cleaner assembly.

Scratchy , you need to raise that throttle cable bracket and get that 90* turn out of the throttle cable

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A friend had a street dominator on a 440 in a 70 charger , the street dominator in not as tall as the RPM , had a holley , no spacer and a flat base air cleaner it had to run a 2" tall filter to allow the hood to close.

The RPM with the adapter might clear the hood without an air cleaner assembly.

Scratchy , you need to raise that throttle cable bracket and get that 90* turn out of the throttle cable

I have always had to scratch up a longer cable from a /6 for SB,but this stock truck SB cable seems to be a little long on the BB.

I may try to find a short cable and raise the throttle clamp.
Posted By: ekim

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 06:50 PM

Roger, over.

(Only 2 Airplane fans on Moparts ??????????)
Posted By: GreenBird

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 07:27 PM

If it helps, on my 69 RR, I tried a performer RPM intake on an RB with an Edelbrock/AVS carb. It was not close to fitting under the stock hood. I also have a 1/3 inch heat insulator, but even without the gasket that combo was not going to fit. I eventually had to go with a performer (non-RPM) intake and a drop base air cleaner.

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 10:26 PM

Greenbrd,

That's probably the most accurate to my situation. I am sure there are differences between the 70 coronet and the 69 RR but it's gotta be close. I guess I will play wait and see. I will have enough umph in this engine that I don't want to go with the Performer. In fact I just sold one for under $100... And I have a lot of time into this RPM and the hood too. I'll either spend $1500 on a 6pack or $600 on as fiberglass hood I guess. Or maybe go to my body guy and see if he has any ideas. It's too bad that the hood doesn't have a power bulge like the 70 RR. hmmmmmmmm.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 10:27 PM

Quote:

Roger, over.

(Only 2 Airplane fans on Moparts ??????????)

And don't call me Shirley!

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/04/12 11:33 PM

Quote:

Greenbrd,

That's probably the most accurate to my situation. I am sure there are differences between the 70 coronet and the 69 RR but it's gotta be close. I guess I will play wait and see.

closer than you think , the flat hood between the 2 is pretty much identical, but the 69 RR may have slightly more clearance with the slight bulge in the center of the hood.

Also on the how close it is front , dodge and plymouth used the same air cleaner for both makes and the center section that holds the seal is also the same between the 2.

If you had a low deck there was potential for it to fit, sans spacer/adaptor, 440 no way .
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/05/12 12:15 AM

That cast aluminum two-filter contraption may look decent but it's going to cost horsepower. There's not enough cross-sectional area and the air is coming in sideways, it'll mess up the carb's metering bad.

R.

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/05/12 06:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Greenbrd,

That's probably the most accurate to my situation. I am sure there are differences between the 70 coronet and the 69 RR but it's gotta be close. I guess I will play wait and see.

closer than you think , the flat hood between the 2 is pretty much identical, but the 69 RR may have slightly more clearance with the slight bulge in the center of the hood.

Also on the how close it is front , dodge and plymouth used the same air cleaner for both makes and the center section that holds the seal is also the same between the 2.

If you had a low deck there was potential for it to fit, sans spacer/adaptor, 440 no way .

Oh joy... I guess I should have looked at the spec's before buying the darn thing. I couldn't have imagined that it's taller than say a Torker II. Frustration. Thanks for the posts John.
Posted By: ta3834bbl

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/05/12 06:49 AM

I had an M1 intake with a Dominator and it cleared with a drop base air cleaner, wouldn't fit in my Cuda until I modified the hood. I just put the RPM intake on and it is almost the same height. No way it fits with a spacer. ( opinion ) I think you'll be ok without a spacer and a drop base air cleaner.

Re: Do we have clearance, Clarence? - 12/05/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Greenbrd,

Oh joy... I guess I should have looked at the spec's before buying the darn thing. I couldn't have imagined that it's taller than say a Torker II. Frustration. Thanks for the posts John.

Jeff drop the manifold on , put your carb of and see where it is at , you'll have to run a drop base air cleaner , no buts about it. I think the thermo quad is out , the drop base air cleaners , for the most part , don't fit over carters well , the thermoquad ???

The manifold is in the height range of the torquer , as long as you have no intention of trying to use a stock N96 anything you should be able to get it in there, but not with a spacer under the carb.

Try not to get the air cleaner top too close to the carb air horn , drop base with a 2" filter
© 2024 Moparts Forums