Moparts

is 3/8" fuel line too much ?

Posted By: 2abodymcodes

is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 04:03 AM

69 b-body with mostly stock 383. it will probably have around a 700 edelbrock carb.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 04:11 AM

Describe "To Much"
Posted By: ahy

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 04:13 AM

3/8" is great. OE would have likley been 5/16". The 3/8 line will have a bit less restriction and help reduce the possibility of fuel problems with todays gas which boils easier since its made for pressurized EFI systems.

For an even more robust setup, add a return line and use the "3 prong" filter which returns any vapor and some gas gack to the tank. 1/4" is fine for the return line.
Posted By: intragration

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 04:28 AM

I have a mid '80s car that originally came with a carbureted V6 and I was surprised to see that it had 3/8" lines. Your 383 should like it. The only concern may be with the original sending unit, if it has smaller fittings. When I put 3/8" lines on my 'Cuda, I also put in a new sending unit. If yours was originally 5/16", you may want to check this out too.

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 04:45 AM

the sending unit is not an issue. i have not ordered it yet. thanks for the info.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 05:37 AM

Quote:

the sending unit is not an issue. i have not ordered it yet. thanks for the info.

Don't forget that the size is the outside diameter, not the inside diameter My 1/2 inch aluminum line is a little over 3/8 I.D.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

the sending unit is not an issue. i have not ordered it yet.

Actually finding a sending unit that reads correctly is going to be the main problem. Do your homework as there's been a ton of issues with them. With your eng a 5/16 will be more than plenty but I'd go with 3/8 as you might swap in a stroked 440 in the future . Also a 1/4 return line to the tank so the fuel never deadheads along with a properly sized orifice restriction for psi management. A 3 prong filter with the right orifice will work with your current requirements
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 03:26 PM

nah 3/8 is what I'd minimally run on any old V8. Can't hurt anything.

I run a 1/2" hardline up to my filter then mechanical pump, then go out 3/8 to everything else (Keeping the volume more than adequate on the intake side of the pump is also a good idea - think I read that on a RobbMc article). The 3/8 turns into 1/2" again at the carb. Pics (want to brag... just got this all installed - note the modded Holley adjustable cable bracket/return (I love symmetry - that was a treat). This is on a 408 with Al heads.

Attached picture 7473175-IMG_0663.JPG

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 03:28 PM

Sorry to hijak, just excited with new toys.

Attached picture 7473178-IMG_0669.JPG

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 03:29 PM

Last one.

Really.... 3/8 lines. No sweat. But look for bottle necks in fittings/sending unit, etc. Some NPT fittings you may have to drill out to get a true diameter like I did on my 1/2" feed to the Carter pump. It takes a 1/4" NPT (fittings a 1/4"NPT M to -8 M , but that's huge enough to drill quite a bit out on the NPT side and get the inside diameter close to the feed line, which is -8 AN.

Attached picture 7473179-IMG_0671.JPG

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 03:35 PM

Quote:

I have a mid '80s car that originally came with a carbureted V6 and I was surprised to see that it had 3/8" lines. Your 383 should like it. The only concern may be with the original sending unit, if it has smaller fittings. When I put 3/8" lines on my 'Cuda, I also put in a new sending unit. If yours was originally 5/16", you may want to check this out too.

Was a pain for me to find my 1/2" fitting sending unit... I kinda get the feeling no one really runs a mechanical pump with a 1/2" feed... Oh well, dare to be different. Then get out your wallet.

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 03:39 PM

clean looking set-up. one other question, can i use brake line as my return line ? i have boxes of that already. what is the difference between brake line and fuel line ??
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 04:22 PM

Quote:

3/8" is great. OE would have likley been 5/16". The 3/8 line will have a bit less restriction and help reduce the possibility of fuel problems with todays gas which boils easier since its made for pressurized EFI systems.

For an even more robust setup, add a return line and use the "3 prong" filter which returns any vapor and some gas gack to the tank. 1/4" is fine for the return line.

That's a nice thought but its wishful thinking at best , BTDT

Adding the return line and an electric pump is the best avenue to try to deal with the fuel issue .
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/23/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

69 b-body with mostly stock 383. it will probably have around a 700 edelbrock carb.

Mostly stock 383? With this setup a 3/8" line is more than adequate.
Posted By: ahy

Re: is 3/8" fuel line too much ? - 11/24/12 04:12 AM

Quote:

clean looking set-up. one other question, can i use brake line as my return line ? i have boxes of that already. what is the difference between brake line and fuel line ??

I would think brake line would be fine for the return if you have 1/4" diameter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums