Moparts

rust remover?

Posted By: kams

rust remover? - 11/05/12 02:02 AM

Was wondering what's a cheap rust remover or something I can let parts get dipped into to remove rust. What was the molasses mixture I heard of.

thanks kurt
Posted By: areibel

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 02:19 AM

I don't know about the molasses one, but I tried this one and it works-
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
I used two gallons of vinegar and the right amounts of salt and lemon juice, I put it in a big plastic tub. I was able to clean quite a bit before it seemed to loose effectiveness. One tip, I'd let the stuff soak for a couple hours, then pull it out and use a cheap paint brush to knock the sludge off. It seems likeit speeds it up a bit?
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 02:28 AM

Use this stuff.
Probably not "cheap" in your thinking, but quite effective in removing rust from parts.

http://www.rustremover.net/

Attached picture 7449015-Evaporust.jpg
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 04:18 AM

I recently tried some evapo-rust on an old rusty humming bird feeder my Mom has. Not deep pitted rust, but, thick enough rust that a wire brush was of little use.

All I can say is WOW! Left a part soaking in evapo-rust overnight, and it came out like new......

I wasn't able to fully submerse the part, so you can easily see 'before and after'.

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 04:49 AM

I have used and am happy with Evaporust, except I've got too much rusty stuff!

Try over on the HAMB for the molasses deal. Seems that many swear by it, but it's gotta be done over time and it STINKS!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 05:00 AM

I am VERY happy with the way Evaporust removes rust, even REALLY bad rust will disolve away completely in a day or two. However, I am unhappy with the relatively short life it has, I have gone through over 10 gallons of it derusting parts from one car (dash stuff, suspension parts, etc.). So it's pretty expensive. I have started to shop around for a similar but more cost effective product and found this stuff Un-Rust It promises the same type of safe removal (only removes rust, will not etch, pit, or otherwise remove or damage good metal like acid baths can do). I ordered some today, we'll see how it goes.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 05:49 AM

Quote:

I used two gallons of vinegar and the right amounts of salt and lemon juice, I put it in a big plastic tub. I was able to clean quite a bit before it seemed to loose effectiveness. One tip, I'd let the stuff soak for a couple hours, then pull it out and use a cheap paint brush to knock the sludge off. It seems likeit speeds it up a bit?

This mixture works great. I mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket, about 3-1/2 gallons at a time. I seems to have a very long "shelf life" and I have cleaned a lot of parts without it losing much strength. I let stuff sit anywhere from 24 hours to 2 or 3 days when the weather is much cooler. I dont think it could get more cost effective for rust cleaning

Attached picture 7449261-DSC06425.JPG
Posted By: forphorty

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 05:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This mixture works great. I mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket, about 3-1/2 gallons at a time. I seems to have a very long "shelf life" and I have cleaned a lot of parts without it losing much strength. I let stuff sit anywhere from 24 hours to 2 or 3 days when the weather is much cooler. I dont think it could get more cost effective for rust cleaning

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 06:08 AM

Personally I don't find many uses for acid because of the finish it leaves on metal (etched or pitted) but if you want to use acid why not use the good stuff? buy some Muratic acid (swimming pool acid) it's cheap and works fast, it will remove most rust in minutes not days, and will leave the same surface finish as the vinigar does, just a whole lot faster, It's dirt cheap too.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 06:22 AM

Quote:

Personally I don't find many uses for acid because of the finish it leaves on metal (etched or pitted) but if you want to use acid why not use the good stuff? buy some Muratic acid (swimming pool acid) it's cheap and works fast, it will remove most rust in minutes not days, and will leave the same surface finish as the vinigar does, just a whole lot faster, It's dirt cheap too.

Try using in your garage and watch every loose piece of iron in there develop a nice red covering of rust. Sorry, but no thanks.

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 06:51 AM

I know better than that Not to mention (as I already did) I don't like using ANY type of acid for rust removal, too many good non acid choices these days to resort to that in most circumstances.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 08:06 AM

Quote:

I don't like using ANY type of acid for rust removal.

Since the ph of evaporust is 6.1, per msds, it's acidic and should be avoided... correct?

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 04:58 PM

Semantics......Bottom line is that Evaporust wont etch, pit, or otherwise remove good metal, viniger, citric acid, and muratic acid will.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 05:24 PM

Aren't any semantics in reading or comprehending your statement.

Evaporust is an acid as it's 6.1 ph is less than 7. Because evaporust is an acid, by your own statement, it should be avoided.

What is the next song you would like queued up?

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 05:35 PM

Rob....Are you just bored or what?
Posted By: burdar

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 06:16 PM

Scott, just a little word of advise. When using EvapoRust, make sure you submerge the part completely. Don't just dip one section of the part.

I dipped one end of a part in EvapoRust once. When I removed the part, there was a shallow groove eaten into the part at the dip line.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 06:26 PM

I have used the muriatic acid on small parts and it works great. I rinse it well afterwards with water. I would not use the stuff on a large scale because it is nasty to work with and sure hurts on the skin. Buy why not just neutralize the parts with something like baking soda afterwards? Baking soda and an extra bucket are cheap.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 07:22 PM

Quote:

I have used the muriatic acid on small parts and it works great. I rinse it well afterwards with water. I would not use the stuff on a large scale because it is nasty to work with and sure hurts on the skin. Buy why not just neutralize the parts with something like baking soda afterwards? Baking soda and an extra bucket are cheap.

Muriatic acid is too dangerous and agressive for me to use it comfortably. With the vinegar/lemon juice/salt mix I dont have to wear rubber gloves, be particularly concerned about splash or using it in an enclosed area. Disposal is not an issue for it either.
I make a 3-1/2 gallon batch for under $10. Lasts for months.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 08:12 PM

I'm very interested in this thread/topic. For years, I always did this;

- 1) mechanically removed rust; wire brush/wire wheel/sandpaper or sandblasting (if feasible)

- 2) etch/convert the surface with acid or one of the "phosphate" type converters.

- 3) cover with primer/paint to prevent moisture and oxygen from reaching the metal.

....BUT, it seems with all the products and all the hype/claims, it is VERY hard to determine what is the best product(s) to use. Like many people, I don't really care what it costs; whatever the cost, it's cheap compared to cutting, welding and rust repair.

Here's some links I found;

http://www.drjing.com/Mini/BLOG/SideBySide.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtop...sc&start=40

Dave
Posted By: Chargerfan

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 09:11 PM

Sounds like naval jelly.

Quote:

Try over on the HAMB for the molasses deal. Seems that many swear by it, but it's gotta be done over time and it STINKS!

Posted By: areibel

Re: rust remover? - 11/05/12 10:59 PM

I've tried Evaporust and it works well, but at $30 a gallon it doesn't take long to burn up my hard earned money! I tried
the vinegar mix to see what it would do, and I thought it did great. It wasn't better than ER, but it was realy close.. I started small with a couple old tools, wound up putting a pair of front splash shields from my 69 in and soaking for about 12 hours. I was really impressed, I'll still use ER where I can't soak something but if it'll fit in the tub it's getting the vinegar treatment!
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: rust remover? - 11/06/12 07:40 PM

I can't complain about Evaporust at all used it quite a lot, sometimes I may start a piece in the vinegar solution for a couple of hours to remove some of the rust, then I wash it down and finish it off in Evaporust, I believe it extends the life of the Evaporust a bit.
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: rust remover? - 11/06/12 09:44 PM

Does anybody else use electrolysis for rust removal? Depending on what I'm trying to remove rust on, I use all chemical methods listed here and electrolysis for the larger parts with really heavy rust. For those that dont know: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

I like Evaporust the best though... sometimes I simply cant believe that the part that comes out is the same part that I put in!

Posted By: edl

Re: rust remover? - 11/06/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

I like Evaporust the best though...

+1
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: rust remover? - 11/07/12 03:07 AM

I would like to do this in a large scale, big enough to do fenders, doors and a hood.
Posted By: 71TrakPak

Re: rust remover? - 11/07/12 03:29 AM

Has anyone tried this http://www.therustremover.com/rust-remover-eco-safe-100-friendly/.
It claims to last 12 months and is eco and metal friendly. I've been thinking about buying a gallon and giving it a try, it's $36 plus shipping...maybe worth it if it works.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: rust remover? - 11/07/12 01:39 PM

Quote:

I would like to do this in a large scale, big enough to do fenders, doors and a hood.

soda blast
© 2024 Moparts Forums