Moparts

The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket????

Posted By: fuseable

The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 12:20 AM

Has anyone used the Right Stuff for a oil pan gasket? I just did a trans filter on my kid's 2002 Jeep Liberty and it had the Right Stuff on it when I removed it so I used the Right Stuff when I put it back on. It was not to difficult to remove the pan, I used a knife to split it and it came right off. I was thinking how good it would seal up on my oil pan with windage tray. Any thoughts pro or con?????????? It sure does a good job of sealing when I have used it. I have always used 2 gaskets and it sealed ok but when I have gotten back into the engine you could tell it was slightly seeping. Just kicking it around, so don't kick me around to much.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 01:04 AM

We used to use it to seal up everything on the 6.5 GM diesels used in HUMMVEEs for the military. We used it in place of valve cover, oil pan and timing cover gaskets. Worked great if you cleaned the surface well and give it proper time to set up. If it will seal up those oil puking, blow-by coughing P.O.S's, You should be fine.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 01:05 AM

Where do you get this stuff. Never heard of it.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 01:06 AM

I think some of the newer applications call for rtv only ( no gasket ). But I think it would work ok if you did it like form a gasket where you apply a bead, lightly assemble it then cinch it down after it dries.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 01:59 AM

Quote:

Where do you get this stuff. Never heard of it.

any auto parts store should have it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 02:52 AM

I ain't used it (yet) but reportedly it's the best there is & it is pricey
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 04:08 AM

What I have heard about the Right Stuff it is horrible to take apart :That is why I have not used it, yet
Posted By: bonefish

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/04/12 10:42 AM

Quote:

What I have heard about the Right Stuff it is horrible to take apart :That is why I have not used it, yet

thats why i dont use it.ive never had a prob getting things to seal up.if it wont seal there,s a prob that needs to be addressed,not glued.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/06/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

You will need explosives to get it apart. But it won't leak.
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/06/12 09:35 PM

I previously used it on the oil pan on my 383 in my Super Bee... You have to use 2 layers due to the windage tray of course.

Taking it off was not fun... it took a long long time to take it off... like a couple of hours with the engine on a stand and using a razor blade and a pry bar.

It sealed great, but I wont do it again. I damn near had to wreck the pan taking it off.

Posted By: dogdays

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/09/12 05:47 PM

I used TRS on an automatic transmission oil pan, it came apart with no drama. It isn't JB Weld, for the love of Pete!
I like it because it sets up almost immediately, you can install the part, add fluids and drive. I've done it, no leaks ever.

It does not like gasoline, will turn into foam when the gas hits it. But for everything else it is indeed The Right Stuff. And no, it isn't cheap, but it works.

R.
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: The Right Stuff for oil pan gasket???? - 11/09/12 06:10 PM

Only stuff I've used for the past 7 years
© 2024 Moparts Forums