Moparts

Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short!

Posted By: geno440

Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 10/31/12 01:40 PM

I put the front suspension parts on my 68 Cuda 340. My steering linkage hits the oil pan when i turn all the way to the left. Viewing it from the back side, it appears that my idler arm is about .5 to 1 inch shorter that the rest of the suspension. It is almost like the arm is an inch shorter that it should be. I checked and found that they make only one idler arm. Anyone else ever run into this?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 10/31/12 02:26 PM

I'm assuming you dont have the old one to compare it to

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 10/31/12 03:04 PM

I have the old one. It appears to be the same. The only thing I noticed is that the knuckle is worn very badly and I wonder how it did not fall appart.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/02/12 03:12 AM

Factory A body oil pans had clearance notches for this reason.. you sure your pan is the correct one?
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/02/12 05:58 AM

Quote:

Factory A body oil pans had clearance notches for this reason.. you sure your pan is the correct one?

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/02/12 12:48 PM

I need to post a picture. LOL. The pan is correct with notches.

The drag link sits higher on the idler arm side when the steering is pointed forward. (unlevel) The problem gets worse as you steer to the left and the idler arm side linkage moves towards the oil pan. The tie rode end hits the oil filter.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/02/12 02:53 PM

Quote:

The drag link sits higher on the idler arm side when the steering is pointed forward. (unlevel)

I'd say the new arm is bent wrong. I'd get another idler arm & take that new one with you to compare and you want the one you select to be different as in have a lower drag link end to lower/level the drag link out. What's confusing me is you said the old/new ones are identical if I read that right (exc for the old one falling apart)
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/02/12 03:13 PM

Do you have the correct/bent drag link on it and not the straight slant 6 drag link?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/03/12 07:09 PM

Quote:

Do you have the correct/bent drag link on it and not the straight slant 6 drag link?

On a 67-76 A-body there is no such thing as a /6 centerlink.

That is only for the 66 and earlier cars that they made a seperate centerlink for /6 and then V8 cars.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Barracuda Idler Arm Seems too Short! - 11/04/12 12:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

On a 67-76 A-body there is no such thing as a /6 centerlink.

That is only for the 66 and earlier cars that they made a seperate centerlink for /6 and then V8 cars.

Got it. Thanks for the update.
© 2024 Moparts Forums