Moparts

Changing Big Block oil filter ideas?

Posted By: superbeejim

Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 01:38 PM

Any good tips or homemade tools to change oil filters without the mess all over the K-frame?
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 01:53 PM

A piece of tin foil draped and shaped to guide the oil away from the k frame and into the drain pan.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 01:53 PM

I just use a rag on the K frame & pull out after I put the new filter on. Still sometimes makes a little mess.
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 02:02 PM

Took a triangle shaped sheet metal added a lip on the back side and curved it a little. Place under filter with smaller end pointed into drain pan and undo filter.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 02:08 PM

Cut the side out of a 2 liter soda bottle,trim as required.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 02:09 PM

I've heard , but haven't tried it yet , cutting a 2 liter soda bottle and putting it under the filter and off the edge of the K , it's tight down there so I just usually put a couple rags under it .
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 07:41 PM

Quote:

Cut the side out of a 2 liter soda bottle,trim as required.

x3
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/27/12 08:16 PM

I grab two plastic grocery bags. Put one inside the other.
Loosen the filter, slip the bags over the filter and spin it off.
Throw it away.

Very clean, very easy.
Posted By: topside

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 12:06 AM

I buy those tin baking pans at the grocery store for that; Look for a shallow one, about 9 x 5 I think. Usually come several to a pack, and they're cheap. SLide it under the filter, bend it up at the sides and behind the filter so all the oil is guided to your drain pan, & proceed.
I fill new filters about halfway & spin 'em on quickly, then wipe the drip off, then pull the baking pan.
Haven't had a drop of oil on my K-members in decades.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 01:44 AM

I just use several layers of newspapers pushed back to the motor mount bracket. It usually catches all the oil. The only trick is to not spill the oil while pulling the newspaper out.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 02:01 AM

i used a peice of card board bent in a v. no mess.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 02:07 AM

Quote:

I just use a rag on the K frame & pull out after I put the new filter on. Still sometimes makes a little mess.

me too,
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 02:46 AM

Does anyone here have the guts to admit that they used to pull the drain plug and let the oil just drain into a freshly dug hole??
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 02:52 AM

I let the oil dump on the k-frame, less rust that way...
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 03:01 AM

Quote:

Does anyone here have the guts to admit that they used to pull the drain plug and let the oil just drain into a freshly dug hole??

ive done that when i was real young but i would never do it now.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 03:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Me too
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 04:06 AM

Spray water on the K member before looseing the oil filter,the oil won't stick to water and water wipes off cleanly another method is to take a small, sharp nail and put a hole in the end of the oil filter on the bottom where the oil will drain into a container
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 04:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why not? I've got myself a nice hole in the corner of the yard where all of my oil, ATF, gear oil and coolant goes. I'm not a hippie environmentalist. What worked 30+ years ago, works today
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 04:10 AM

I have a piece of sheet metal that sits under the oil filter and jack up the rear of the car to make the oil go forward off of the k. For some reason I see lots of guys changing the filter while the car is in the air and making a bog mess, not sure why it would be done that way.
Posted By: rss

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 04:13 AM

Quote:

Why not? I've got myself a nice hole in the corner of the yard where all of my oil, ATF, gear oil and coolant goes. I'm not a hippie environmentalist. What worked 30+ years ago, works today

Hopefully you and the neighbors are on city water.

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 04:16 AM

We are

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lol no you are just ignorant...enjoy your water table.

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 05:41 AM

Have you seen Arizona in person?
Not making excuses, but there is a LOT of burnt dirt in that state. I've seen plenty of it. Wrecking yards used to sit cars in the dirt for YEARS. You could dig a hole and dump oil in there, and it may never seep anywhere. Some areas in that state are pretty dang arid.
I don't recall ever dumping oil in the dirt, but long ago I did commit a few ecological crimes. I dumped used oil into gallon jugs and threw them into the trash. Heck, thats where I STILL throw the filters. Who out there actually complies with EPA guidelines regarding filters? Are you aware that you are also supposed to recycle ALL batteries? A, AA, AAA, C and D batteries. What about the flourescent light bulbs? Do YOU properly dispose of those too?
We are improving with the whole "save the planet" movement, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 12:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Um, Wow! That's some legacy to leave for future generations. Some kid will discover it digging in the dirt 50 years from now. It will cost the new owners a fortune to clean up the mess. Nice work.
Posted By: ParaFrog88

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 12:36 PM

I saw a pallet of 55 Gal drums of 5W30 split on impact from an air drop resupply in Iraq so we were just returning the oil to them.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 02:17 PM

i also use a plastic shopping bag over the filter, easiest and cheapest way to do it.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 07:39 PM

I'm on a well, as is everyone on my street. I think I'll try to keep as much oil out of the ground as possible.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now that is what I call recycling, put it back in the ground where it came from, and then pump it back out later to be used again, and do it over and over.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 10:06 PM

I have 10 acres, I'm on a well and I will spray my used oil on weeds in my parking lot occasionally without any bad feelings about it. BTW My well is 347' deep...not really concerned about contaminating the ground water.

Dave
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 10:12 PM

people get upset about dumping oil on the ground, but if you mix it with gravel and call it pavement, they'll actually PAY to have people do it for them

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 10:26 PM

Quote:

people get upset about dumping oil on the ground, but if you mix it with gravel and call it pavement, they'll actually PAY to have people do it for them

It wasn't that long ago that many of the logging roads around here were sprayed with oil to keep the dust down. I'm not saying that was a great idea, but a little oil in my parking lot isn't going to do anything other than (hopefully) keep the weeds at bay.

'course I could always use Roundup...wonder how good THAT stuff is for the environment.

Reminds me of a time I was getting into hiking; the guy at the store (an avid hiker) steered me towards two products to protect myself from insects on an upcoming hike. One was "environmentally friendly" and the other was mostly DEET. I asked him which I should get and he replied, "well, if you want to stop the bugs from biting you, use the DEET, if you want to feel good about the environment whilst becoming a human smorgasbord, buy the other stuff...it doesn't work at all".

Oh well, and here we are today with water based paint on our cars! Progress, I guess.

Dave

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/28/12 11:55 PM

Quote:

HECK yeah...

The weenie greeies can take a hike for all that I care!
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 12:07 AM

havent tried it myself but New Pig makes this gizmo...

Flexible Funnel

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 04:59 AM

Quote:

Aw, are we going to resort to name calling now?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 05:13 AM

Quote:

I never have, but my dad told me stories about doing that(and worse) back in the day.

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 05:40 AM

The comedian George Lopez spoke about his people pulling their cars over the storm drains at the curb of the streets and draining the oil there!
Suddenly the guy from AZ isn't so bad, huh?

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Aw, are we going to resort to name calling now?

Nope, just a fact. Thank you for not being my neighbor!

You have made it to the illustrious ignore list...

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 07:24 AM

The IGNORE list? REALLY?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 08:11 AM

Punch a hole in the end of the filter. Let it drain into a pan before you remove it.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

HECK yeah...

Asphalt stays ON TOP of the ground. Oil leeches INTO the ground and gets into the water table. There's a difference. So, if I understand you guys correctly, you would have no problem with me coming to your place and dumping my waste oil on your property next to your well?? I mean, why not if it's so harmless??
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 12:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now that is what I call recycling, put it back in the ground where it came from, and then pump it back out later to be used again, and do it over and over.

It because of people like you that we have the EPA now. Thanks guys.
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 03:46 PM

I had a friend back in the 70's and early 80's that would dump the used oil from his Mack tractors next to his building. Some busy body saw him one day and called the authorities. Cost him a bundle. Had to excavate next to the building until he hit clean dirt and then go another set number of feet beyond that. (I forget how much) Then had to pay a specialized hauler to take the contaminated dirt away and put clean fill in. Then pay a huge fine. Wound up costing him a bundle.

On the flip side I see truck rollover accidents where hundreds of gallons of diesel are spilled and they throw sand on it and let mother nature take care of it. Exit 16W from the North bound side of the NJ Tpk has rollovers all the time because it is a sharp curve. Never EVER have I seen them digging up anything and that is just feet from the river. Can you say double standard?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 09/29/12 03:54 PM

Do you know that they spill their fuel? They often times don't. Every relase of that I've been aware of in the last 25 years has resulted in digging to clean dirt.

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/01/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HECK yeah...

Asphalt stays ON TOP of the ground. Oil leeches INTO the ground and gets into the water table. There's a difference. So, if I understand you guys correctly, you would have no problem with me coming to your place and dumping my waste oil on your property next to your well?? I mean, why not if it's so harmless??

sure. would you mind spreading it out evenly please? Thanks.

Dave
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/01/12 03:10 AM

I work as an environmental geologist. I assess and remediate contaminated soil and groundwater. That said, the degree of environmental impact associated with the draining of a few quarts of oil depends largely on your local hydrogeology. Where I live, groundwater is in excess of 250 feet below the land surface. A few oil changes have no chance of impacting groundwater. I do not advocate the dumping of petroleum hydocarbon products on the ground, but in some areas, I don't consider it a big deal. The regulators, however, might be interested in what folks do with their oil
Posted By: ahy

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/01/12 03:31 AM

Quote:

Spray water on the K member before looseing the oil filter,the oil won't stick to water and water wipes off cleanly another method is to take a small, sharp nail and put a hole in the end of the oil filter on the bottom where the oil will drain into a container

I "pre wet" with simple green, then put a rag under it. What little bit of oil gets on the K is easily hosed off.
Posted By: Hem1orange

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/01/12 06:02 AM

I was in Saudi during the Gulf war and saw a pallet of oil being moved with a fork-lift.
The operator ran a tine into one of the barrels and spilled about 30 gallons in the sand. The Head shed just about messed them selves worrying about getting into trouble with the EPA. Saudi officials said it was fine just throw more sand on it. When we didn't they had the local Third World Nationals come in dig the oil and sand up, then drive one mile out in the desert and dump it.

Ron
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/01/12 06:07 AM

Heavy duty Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil. Folded over so double thickness, long enough to reach from pump to past the K, curled/contoured so oil flows down into catch bucket. Easy. Disposable. No extra "tool" to keep in tool box. Already have enough special "tools" in there to change the oil in the wife's Acura.

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/01/12 04:17 PM

Quote:

I work as an environmental geologist. I assess and remediate contaminated soil and groundwater. That said, the degree of environmental impact associated with the draining of a few quarts of oil depends largely on your local hydrogeology. Where I live, groundwater is in excess of 250 feet below the land surface. A few oil changes have no chance of impacting groundwater. I do not advocate the dumping of petroleum hydocarbon products on the ground, but in some areas, I don't consider it a big deal. The regulators, however, might be interested in what folks do with their oil

Yep; as I said, my well is almost 400' deep and there is no way a few quarts of oil could make it into my aquifer. just not going to happen.

Dave
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/02/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

I let the oil dump on the k-frame, less rust that way... :atiggrin:

I also use that same "protective coating" method.
Very effective.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/02/12 04:37 PM

Growing up in the fifties, it was common to pour the oil around the house foundation and call it "water proofing".
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: Changing Big Block oil filter ideas? - 10/02/12 08:57 PM

Made this a while back with a gallon oil jug and plastic tubing. I loosen the filter slightly put this under the filter then unscrew it fully, works great!

Attached picture 7404223-oil_1.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums