Moparts

How do I identify a straight axle?

Posted By: skicker

How do I identify a straight axle? - 09/19/12 01:14 PM

A few years back I bought an old 65 Barracuda that someone had installed a straight axle in. The lug pattern was 4 1/2" dodge or ford bolt pattern with drum brakes. I got this to use on an altered wheelbase project but I would like to know what it is to research disc brake options. No pics as of now. Is there an easy way to tell if it was from an A-100 van? Thx...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: How do I identify a straight axle? - 09/19/12 07:11 PM

I believe a pickup axle would be too wide, should be A-van or econoline.

R.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: How do I identify a straight axle? - 09/19/12 08:43 PM

Quote:

A few years back I bought an old 65 Barracuda that someone had installed a straight axle in. The lug pattern was 4 1/2" dodge or ford bolt pattern with drum brakes. I got this to use on an altered wheelbase project but I would like to know what it is to research disc brake options. No pics as of now. Is there an easy way to tell if it was from an A-100 van? Thx...

Just read a similar thread on the HAMB.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733686&highlight=straight+axle
They mentioned the bolts holding the wheel cylinder went in at a different angle on the Econolines.
The A-100s have 2 different sizes from the axle out. Gotta measure the drum size or failing that measure the bolt widths of the backing plates.
Look at this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-A100-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-2200-front-disc-brake-/390403594229
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: How do I identify a straight axle? - 09/20/12 02:36 PM

If it was a Ford wouldn't it be a 5 on 5.5 inch bolt pattern?

Here is an A100 axle:
Posted By: dogdays

Re: How do I identify a straight axle? - 09/20/12 09:58 PM

IIRC the Econoline with the straight axle was 5 on 4.5 same as the cars. There were a ton of them used under "gassers" and their replicas. Pickups would be 5 on 5.5, and I think they would be wider to boot.
R.
Posted By: skicker

Re: How do I identify a straight axle? - 09/22/12 04:02 AM

Thx for the info and the parts schematic. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if it looks the same as the rendering. I noticed it has been cut in the center and shortened up. With my luck if it was in a 65 Barracuda it will be too narrow for a 65 b body.
© 2024 Moparts Forums