Moparts

Leaky valve covers...

Posted By: MoJoe

Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 01:33 PM

I just can't get my valve covers to stop leaking. I have a 383 with stock heads... it leaks pretty on the passenger back outboard side and runs down the bell housing. I 've tried different gaskets, sealants...just when I think I have it licked it comes back. Looking at the top of the head, the gasket surface is very narrow and a little rounded... almost a ridge. Should'nt this area be a little wider and flat? It looks like it could be a bad casting...any how it leaks pretty good and short of getting a new head I don't know what to do. Any ideas? Thanks
Posted By: Todd

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 01:52 PM

Go get some superformace gaskets and the GRAY rtv sealant. Put a thin film on the head surface. Also look at the valve cover surface and see if there are casting marks. If so, fill in with the gray rtv. Make sure you get the gray kind. That blue, orange, black and whatever color they make is garbage.
Posted By: MoJoe

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 02:09 PM

Super performance...any suggestions. Thanks
Posted By: flatiron

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 02:16 PM

I've had real good luck with the Mr Gasket Ultra Seals
Posted By: radar

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 07:57 PM

A tall intake might need the lips of the v/c to be relieved. Damhik
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 09:47 PM

Permatex "The Right Stuff".
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/02/12 11:51 PM

Have you checked to make sure the covers aren't bent from being over tightened in the past? Take them off and remove the gasket, Is the surface that seals against the gasket flat and NOT dimpled down where the bolts are? If they are dimpled, you carefully beat them back to flat.
Posted By: KARLN

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/03/12 12:14 AM

Quote:

I second that, it solved my valve gasket leaks.
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/03/12 05:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I second that, it solved my valve gasket leaks.

As long as you never need to take a valve cover back off. IF you do guaranteed to be bent by the pry bar it takes to remove it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/03/12 05:22 AM

I've used Permatex Ultra Blue.

It stops leaks but like others have said, getting the valvecovers off can be difficult!
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/04/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

Right on! I had real good luck with the ROL hi-per blue VS5877HP gaskets. Make sure the covers are straight and clean, use brake clean on both covers and block. I put a small amount of Permatex on the cover, attach the gasket then bolt to the engine, without Permatex on the engine side. Do not overtighten the bolts, the covers bend easily, lightly snug them. I go around and lightly snug them yearly when cold.
Posted By: twinscrew698

Re: Leaky valve covers... - 09/05/12 11:50 AM

I heard Cometic valve cover gaskets was good!
Although i never have used them, some here on Moparts have!
A little more in money but if it stops the leaks it might be something to think about!
© 2024 Moparts Forums