Moparts

Engine Install from below . . . .

Posted By: a12rag

Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 12:04 AM

I have not installed an drivetrain and suspension from below before, and was kinda nervous about the whole thing . . . and sure is no need to be now !! Had a couple of buddies help me a few nights ago, and we go it installed and on 4 wheels in about 3 hours !!! No need to remove the hood, no scratches and all went well.

If you are planning to do this yourself - go for it !!! I made the front cradle/dolley that the car was sitting on. It has casters on it, and the cross piece was far enough out so that when turned 90 degrees, it was used for lifting point to raise the car with the engine hoist.

Mark

Attached picture 7359180-IMG-20120829-00255.jpg

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 12:06 AM

Another pic . . . the big black blob on top front of engine is factory RV2 A/C compressor . . . yup, factory a/c car !

Attached picture 7359181-IMG-20120829-00253.jpg

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 12:07 AM

Engine in . . .

Attached picture 7359184-Calgary-20120829-00261.jpg

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 12:09 AM

And finally rolling on all four tires . . .

Attached picture 7359187-4wheelsandsteeringwheel.jpg
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 12:26 AM

good job!!! Thanks for posting, I'll be doing the same thing in a few months. (I hope!)

I love the wheel choice too!

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 01:07 AM

Thanks . . . will have to give a plug to Specialty Wheel - 15x7 Powder coat paint black on outside of rim, just like 14" !!! . . .

Now, what to do with my cradle/dolly ??? . . .

Good luck with your install !

Mark
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 02:02 AM

That's very clever on your dual purpose dolly/lifting harness.

Also, the black-out on the radiator yoke looks good.
Can't stand that body color showing through the grille.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 02:34 AM

See video of a similar install:

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/Savoy/savoy.wmv

No other rational way to do it!

Rick
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 02:55 AM

That looks pretty good. I have a dumb question though. Once you have lowered the car down over the engine, how do you get the bolts into the trans cross member? How do you fit under there to get the bolts started?? Do you just bolt up the K-Frame and let the back of the engine hang until you get the car raised enough to fit under??
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 03:01 AM

Good info, and wow, what a beautiful car! Congrats!
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 04:02 PM

Quote:

That looks pretty good. I have a dumb question though. Once you have lowered the car down over the engine, how do you get the bolts into the trans cross member? How do you fit under there to get the bolts started?? Do you just bolt up the K-Frame and let the back of the engine hang until you get the car raised enough to fit under??

It's much easier to get all the bolts lined up and caught if the car is level.

Note how I use jack stands under the rear axle. Once the front end is lowered the K member bolts and the trans X member bolts are very close to lining up. Once you've done it a few times you can devise a few short cuts, like how high the axle needs to be off the ground.

Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 05:58 PM

Absolutely the only way to do it...
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 09:15 PM

Does this pertain to all years of RWD Mopars? I am wondering about my 80's M and F body cars.

Thanks.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/01/12 11:40 PM

Quote:

Does this pertain to all years of RWD Mopars? I am wondering about my 80's M and F body cars.

Thanks.

Even better for F/M/J cars. With those cars the T-bars, shocks, upper control arms are all contained in the K-member.

I heard some hot rodder like to used F/M/J k-member setups because everything is so self contained.
Posted By: 1BAD68

Re: Engine Install from below . . . . - 09/02/12 12:23 AM

What about brake lines, alignment, etc.?
© 2024 Moparts Forums