Moparts

steering box

Posted By: cesar perez

steering box - 08/25/12 03:04 AM

what would be the best plaCE to buy a manuel aluminum steering box for a 71 dart or would i be able to rebuild my box thanks guys write back
Posted By: Todd

Re: steering box - 08/25/12 03:12 AM

I've always have had good luck with Steer and Gear from Columbus Ohio
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: steering box - 08/25/12 03:07 PM

One of the Mopar magazines did a rebuild of one & it did not appear to be complicated. Have you tried adjusting yours? You start with the steering wheel/front wheels straight ahead (box in car) or vertical shaft halfway in the middle of its' travel (box out of the car) & I dont remember the procedure exactly (see if you can locate it) but I think you adj the large ring till there is just zero play on the steering column shaft then adj the top slotted bolt down till it just makes contact then a skosh more then lock the locknut without moving the slotted bolt but do check on this. If you do rebuild yours get the 20:1 worm gear set from MP. A new/rebuild box ready to go will be pricey but I can say that going from an OE 24:1 to a 16:1 box on a circle burner was a night and day improvement
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: steering box - 08/25/12 05:31 PM

what seems to be wrong with the box you have?

what part of Fl you in? dade or dade city?

on my 68 dart it would keep leaking oil,so i filled it with wheel bearing greese.

Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: steering box - 08/25/12 10:21 PM

Firm Feel does a good job rebuilding them. The 20:1 gear is nice upgrade, but hard to find anymore.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: steering box - 08/25/12 11:11 PM

Quote:

on my 68 dart it would keep leaking oil,so i filled it with wheel bearing greese.

are you serious!!! did that work? doesn't it squeal cause the grease is too thick. you're joking aren't you
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: steering box - 08/26/12 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

are you serious!!! did that work? doesn't it squeal cause the grease is too thick. you're joking aren't you

talking manual steer not power steering boxes.

it worked for my alum manual steer box for yrs,every so oftern I would pull the fill plug and add a little,it would slowly poop it out the top seal/shaft.

i would also add a little gear oil to wash the greese around and thin it some,then go back to add just greese to thicking it up some so it did not poop all the time.

Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: steering box - 08/26/12 02:11 AM

i can be such a 'tard sometimes
Posted By: afx man

Re: steering box - 08/28/12 10:30 PM

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=144

You could try borgeson I like their products.
© 2024 Moparts Forums