Moparts

5.9 magnum engine

Posted By: Clayton

5.9 magnum engine - 08/24/12 06:21 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking at building a 5.9 magnum motor for my barracuda and was wondering what the pros and cons might be and since I don't have the motor yet is there one year better than the next I should look for? It will be carbed so I know I need the intake but not sure what all else will have to be changed or modified and will 904 and 727 bolt up or do I have to go another route. Thanks for any info, Clay
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 5.9 magnum engine - 08/25/12 12:10 AM

Any year of magnum is good. Transmission will drag and drop. Just make sure you have the right torq converter. You will have to run an electric fuel pump and changed to a distributor for a carbed engine. Other than that you're good to go. The old style accessories will bolt to the magnum if you don't want to run the serpentine setup but I think you'll need an old style water pump housing?
Posted By: d-150

Re: 5.9 magnum engine - 08/25/12 01:39 AM

if you run serpetine you need power steering brackets from van or grand cherokee,
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: 5.9 magnum engine - 08/25/12 08:07 AM

use the stock Magnum flexplate there will one hole that will not fit the torque converter by 1/8" open this hole to fit the Magnum uses a neutral balance converter 96-up
You can run a mechanical fuel pump usibypassng the older Vbelt stuff & a cam extension kit from Hughes Racing
Using a Professional Products Crosswinds intake will allow you to use all V belt accessories 78 & back including the correct bypass hose for the waterpump
Posted By: Prince_Valiant

Re: 5.9 magnum engine - 08/26/12 05:46 AM

You'll be very happy with the swap...great performance from a very very mild engine. A member here swapped one in my LRT prior to me purchasing it...pulled down around 17mpg on the hwy, reasonably quick (15.1 @ 91 w/ a race wt north of 4100lbs through '79 log manifolds), pulled 23" of vacuum. Not many (any?) better alternatives out there in my opinion for the price.
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: 5.9 magnum engine - 08/26/12 12:28 PM

I think on the 2001 or 2002 and later blocks they removed the A engine mounting ears on the front of the engine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums