Moparts

My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking

Posted By: cdstl

My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 01:52 AM

I'm planning on dropping the tank, it looks to be a repop. Do I need to remove the rear bumper to get to the tank strap bolts? I'm planning on ordering a Quanta locking ring and gasket. 1972 Cuda.

Darn thing just decided to start leaking.

Thanks
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 01:56 AM

I'd say no, just the rear valance.
I can get to my sending unit through the driver side rear tire opening without pulling my tank on a challenger. Don't know much about cudas.

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 01:59 AM

Take out the sending unit before ordering any parts, maybe the gasket is out of place.
The repo lock rings are really bad, I have never used one but have a couple because they came with gaskets.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 02:08 AM

I'll have to take a look at going through the wheel well next week. I just slid under tonight to see what I'm up against. It does look like the heat shield is in the way, though.

Thanks

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 03:20 AM

Oh yea, the heat shields, forgot about them. I just did it recently to my car but it don't have the heat shields.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 04:54 AM

There is a lot of differances in NOS Mopar tanks, repo tanks, and repo lock rings, senders, and gaskets..
I had to used two gaskets a while back to get a good seal..
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 06:53 AM

I fixed a friends 69 RR with a 3/4 inch Dia. wood dowel rod and Hammer to straighten up the gas tank opening. no more leaks. On my 72 cuda I had to find a thicker gasket and square the opening the above way.

Good Luck
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 12:56 PM

As I recall, the repro lock rings are thinner than originals, and that's what causes the sealing issues. Re-use an original lock ring if it's clean and sound. I lube the rubber ring with Vaseline to reduce friction and gouging. Also make sure the lock ring is centered after tapping in place, they can become off-center during installation.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 02:59 PM

Good info to know.
Installing new tank real soon.
I have an original ring and a repop one, I'll have to check the difference in thickness.

How far should the pickup/sock be off the bottom of the tank?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 05:51 PM

Quote:

How far should the pickup/sock be off the bottom of the tank?

I would have it as close to the bottom of the tank as I could get, 1/2 inch or less You can see where it is through the filler neck hole
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: My turn.......fuel tank lock ring leaking - 08/22/12 10:58 PM

I had mine leak last year. It was soon after I replaced the seal. I found out the top of the seal had snaked inside the tank and there was no "sealing" at the top of the sending unit. I put some KY Jelly (don't ask) and affixed the seal to the inside flange of the sending unit. I also took the lock ring and pried the tabs UP a little. Put it back on and it also helps if you have the fuel lock ring wrench. Its on eBay for $9. It really helps for the Charger because the lock rings is trapped on the upper half of the tank and you either have the rear axle sitting on your chest or you have it up high. Either way its a tight spot. Sealed up (thanks KY) hahaha
© 2024 Moparts Forums