Moparts

Cracking Rear Brake Shoes

Posted By: CYACOP

Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 04:37 PM

71 Road Runner
Shoes replaced a couple of years ago, bought from local parts house. Maybe 4,000 miles since installed.
Rear brakes start getting a metallic sound when rolling slowly.
Cracks formed on shoe face.
Fresh metal evident on outside of drum surface.
Any help?

Attached picture 4800301-Picture002(Small).jpg

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 04:37 PM

Attached picture 4800303-Picture004(Small).jpg
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 04:48 PM

Cracks in shoes face are normal. Not uncommon to see when I check brakes. However I would look at the side of the shoe though for fresh metal.

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 05:37 PM

Well, I chamfered the outer edge of the shoes and reinstalled. The squeaking is gone. Not sure why that was happening though.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 05:58 PM

Cracks in the shoes usually come from getting the shoes too hot with hard braking. It makes the lining hard and chrystalized. This decreases the stopping ability. You should sand the face on the linings to get rid of the hard surface for better braking and sand the drums for the same reason.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 06:42 PM

Those cracks are normal. I've never had a set of brake shoes that did't have carcks after a bunch of miles use.

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 08:09 PM

I have had very few shoes crack. I have replaced a large number of brake shoes on customers cars that weren't cracked. Cracked shoes usually come from cars with discolored drums which is another sign of hot brakes. It tells me your doing a bit of hard braking or your drums have been cut thin and can't disapate heat fast enough.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 08:16 PM

Quote:

I have had very few shoes crack. I have replaced a large nimber of brake shoes on customers cars that weren't cracked. Cracked shoes usually come from cars with discolored drums which is another sign of hot brakes. It tells me your doing a bit of hard braking or your drums have been cut thin and can't disapate heat fast enough.

Not normal, overheating brakes....
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 09:25 PM

put on some quality carbon metallic shoes so you can stop, good brake linings do not crack

Rochester clutch and brake
585-232-3717
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/08/08 10:42 PM

Since they are on the rear, let's bring up the "burnout" or Brake Torquing as another reason there was a ton of heat.
Also possible was the shoes were too tight against the drum and were dragging creating the heat.
Another common problem with rear shoes is the parking brake being adjusted too tight or rusted and sticking holding pressure on the shoes all the time..
If it were my car I would immediate replace them, I have seen a few shoes like these fracture and chunks lock up the wheel.
Posted By: kenny b

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 12:43 AM

Simple answer. All bonded shoes crack over time and usage from heat. Quality riveted shoes equals problem solved.

Kenny B

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 01:56 AM

Quote:

Simple answer. All bonded shoes crack over time and usage from heat. Quality riveted shoes equals problem solved"

That isn't true, I have done better than 1000 brake jobs over the years and bonded shoes don't all crack. Cracking is caused when the shoes become hard from being over heated. That isn't a normal situation. Normally shoe material stays flexable if not over heated and won't crack. Riveted shoes do the same when they get too hot. You're an auto shop teacher and should know that.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 02:24 AM

Quote:

You're an auto shop teacher and should know that.

There are those that do...& Those that teach...
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 03:27 AM

I can report cracked linings due to overheating of rear brakes.

The evidence is pretty clear because I am struggling with uneven brake pressure on the rears and I can tell you this: The side with the brake that is doing all the work is cracking (and squeaking).

The other side with less pressure is just fine.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 07:53 AM

www.praisedynobrake.com

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 12:55 PM

Thanks for the input and information on this. It may be possible that the drums are thin. I dont know but that can easily be checked. I dont know the history there. I think I will verify that and if needed replace the drums and go with a quality shoe and keep an eye on it. There wasnt any blueing on the drums and I dont power brake for burnouts, so I cannot contribute to abuse but those are good points.
Thanks again for the help.

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 03:46 PM

Any brake shop will measure the drums for you and on the face of the drum near the edge should be a max diameter listed.
Posted By: Michael

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 05:36 PM

Quote:

www.praisedynobrake.com

Has anyone used this product??????????
Posted By: mrrandyj

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/09/08 09:56 PM

I agree with Kenny that the bonded shoes are the problem. I see it all the time on my customers cars with bonded shoes, but almost never with rivited shoes. Even daily driver cars with bonded shoes are almost always cracked.
Posted By: Mr_fixit

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/10/08 12:55 AM

I have some rivited with cracks!
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Cracking Rear Brake Shoes - 11/10/08 01:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

www.praisedynobrake.com

Has anyone used this product??????????

I used this kit instead of going with discs.
It does what it says it will. Good performance.
© 2024 Moparts Forums