Moparts

1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb

Posted By: mopardiebold

1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/04/12 02:06 PM

i have a 68 plymouth with a 70 383 in it, the car revs up nice but if you get below 2000 rpm it stalls, i can hold it at 2000 rpm but no lower, someone said to disconect a wire on the white ceramick ballast resistor, i did but it may run a little bit better i think but not correct, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks paul

Attached picture 7321216-jjk.jpg
Posted By: mopardiebold

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/04/12 02:27 PM

a pic of the 3 wires i was talking bout, and i have a plug by the coil that isnt pluged in but i dont think it would run if this wire was wtong or maybe im wtong lol any info would be greatly appreciated, this car hasnt run in 10 years i got it and put new gas tank, sending unit, lines,rebuilt carb by a guy that is the best so i dont think it is that thanks again paul

Attached picture 7321246-dfds.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/04/12 02:41 PM

I'm thinking MSD wants full 12V no ballast
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/04/12 03:03 PM

Quote:

Look here

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=msd+...amp;FORM=IQFRBA
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/04/12 03:08 PM

Or possibly a huge vacuum leak.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/04/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

this car hasnt run in 10 years i got it and put new gas tank, sending unit, lines,rebuilt carb

Off topic, but I just wanted to mention, after all that time you might wanna redo, or at least flush the brakes as well.
Hope you get it sorted soon and it turns out to be simple.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/05/12 12:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Look here

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=msd+...amp;FORM=IQFRBA

but the coil may not. i would definately investegate that wiring snake nest though. what does your coil spark look like when cranking the engine, good and strong? can you watch a spark on a cylinder (pull a plug wire at the plug and put a screw or bolt in the wire and hold it about 1/4 inch from a ground) and see if the spark is still strong while lowering your rpms? are you sure this isn't a timing issue?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/05/12 01:00 AM

also, this sounds more like the carb mixture screws than much of anything else. i know you had the carb rebuilt but the mixture couldn't have been set without it being on a running engine.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/05/12 01:06 AM

Quote:

also, this sounds more like the carb mixture screws than much of anything else. i know you had the carb rebuilt but the mixture couldn't have been set without it being on a running engine.

Maybe it's that dastardly initial timing issue, not enough of it.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 1968 plymouth wont idle, msd ignition,rebuilt carb - 08/05/12 01:22 AM

Im running MSD, stock coil and no bassast with no problems for over 10 years. I believe theres a carb problem..
© 2024 Moparts Forums