Moparts

Mini starter on a BB

Posted By: Yatzee

Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 01:25 AM

Has any one found a brand of mini starter that dose not cost a fortune,
mounts correctly and works to crank a BB with 10:1 compression? All I've
heard are nightmares about failure, overheating, mounting issues and
terminals that are too close to the block. I have a 383 with a TTI header/exhaust system hung on it and messing with starter swapping is
a real issue I wish to avoid.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 01:30 AM

The electrical section of the tech archive has some good information on the subject.
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 01:36 AM

I used the one from DB Electrical. Works nice and spins the motor over fast. The terminals are close to the block but not touching. I just hooked up the wires first then mounted the starter.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 02:04 AM

I have a NAPA starter for a 93 V8 Dakota.Was around $100 brand new not reman. Need to remove the terminal adapter, no biggie. Clears my CPPA(similar to TTI)headers and spins my 10:1 470" easily for over 3 years now.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 02:42 AM

I have the used stock starter from a 87 5.9 truck on my 451 stroker now with TTI headers. Fits and works great.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 02:59 AM

I have one from an early 90's ram van. I can't totally remember, but I may have had to grind down the main power terminal stud a little for block clearance.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 03:07 AM

Quote:

I used the one from DB Electrical. Works nice and spins the motor over fast.

I have a DB starter too, I think it was 75 bucks or something, works awesome! Egag!!
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 08:04 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Starter-Torq...ar+mini+starter
Posted By: Red63440

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 10:50 AM

Quote:

I used the one from DB Electrical. Works nice and spins the motor over fast. The terminals are close to the block but not touching. I just hooked up the wires first then mounted the starter.

X2
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 01:14 PM

i have the one from db elect also 10 years no problems
Posted By: cgall

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 04:53 PM

I used one off a '98 Dakota, had to cut about 1/2" off the positive stud. Way better than the 40-yr-old boat anchor. I had to mount the wires first as well, then I found that some of the racing starters come with an adapter bracket to move the studs away from the block. Couldn't find the adapter for sale anywhere, but a friend had a spare one and gave it to me.
Posted By: GreenBird

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 06:09 PM

I used the mini starter from 440 Source. I read comments about the terminals being too close to the block but I did not have a problem with that issue. I had more of a problem getting the starter on the block with the headers in the way.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 07/31/12 07:18 PM

Quote:

Ditto,
I've used 2 from them.
1 on a 484 hemi and the 2nd on a essentially stock 440 . both fit and worked perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINI-MOPAR-D...=item1e67a4f65a
Posted By: dangina

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/01/12 04:09 AM

how far are the studs from the block?

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto,
I've used 2 from them.
1 on a 484 hemi and the 2nd on a essentially stock 440 . both fit and worked perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINI-MOPAR-D...=item1e67a4f65a

Posted By: therocks

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/01/12 11:11 AM

I have a reman one for a 99 Durango 360 on my 440 with 12.5 pistons.Its been in for probally 15 years.Had to cut about 1/4 inch to have a lot of clearance to the block.My kid used a 440 Source one on his 413.Went right in and been fine for 4 years.Both have headers.Rocky
Posted By: roe

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/03/12 06:26 AM

I have a new one for a mid 90's pickup from Autozone. Ditto what they said on removing the plastic terminal and then your stock cables bolt right up, just connect them before you mount it. I like the nationwide, no questions asked, no receipt necessary, free replacement for life at any Autozone if it ever fails.

Roe
Posted By: frank

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/04/12 01:17 AM

I used the 440 source mini. I took it to the parts store and compared it to the v6 dak starter. They were identical. You could not tell the difference by looking at them. The v6 dak starter from Auto Zone was about $60 with a lifetime warranty. The 440 source starter fit fine on my RB. You need to hook the wires up first.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/04/12 11:08 AM

Got mine from Mancini at the Chrysler Classic one year. Don't remember what it cost. I do know I didn't pay any shipping! Had one on both a small block and a big block and both had headers. The big block has tti.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/04/12 12:33 PM

Bought my mini out of a junkyard for 25.00...Spins my 13.4-1 512" RB over pretty good!!
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: Mini starter on a BB - 08/04/12 06:29 PM

Thats what I have always used. They have plenty of power. I just put a fresh set of contacts in them and go. Just get one off any 94-up mag motor. The earlier non mag starters will work also but are a tad bigger.
© 2024 Moparts Forums