Moparts

Leaky MSD Coils.

Posted By: TimS

Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/23/12 10:25 PM

Anybody have trouble with their Blaster 2 coil lately. I had one on my 69 Super Bee leak oil like crazy out the tower down the coil wire and into the distributor. We used to make these in Logansport IN at Federal Mogul but they sold the business and the buyers moved the manufacturing process to Mexico. They have a batch that weren't brought to 100c while adding the oil. This thing didn't leak it spewed when it got hot and expanded.
Posted By: HP2

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/23/12 10:33 PM

I just replaced one I bought before 2004, it just started leaking. Found out when I should lift the intake...
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/23/12 10:34 PM

i've had the same Blaster 2 for over 15 years, mounted sideways in a 6-pac setup and never had an issue. i would say the key phrase here is 'move to Mexico'! you might want to try their new e-coil (same design and spec's)but i can't remember what they are called off the top of my head.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/23/12 10:35 PM

Bummer, I used to have one and it leaked and I trashed it like a long time ago.
Now I'm running a 35 dollar parts store coil which runs the same or better than the MSD.

Then a few weeks ago I swapped out a good working MP chrome ECU box for stock gold and black ECU that I had from 20 years ago and it runs noticablely better than the chrome box, I swear it does. Stock ECU and parts store coil and my car is running better than it has for years. I don't trust much from MP or even MSD nowadays.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 01:26 AM

There is a screw down in the tower tighten it.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 04:18 AM

The red ones are not recommended for horizontal mount... does that have anything to do with it? Mine's vertical and fine after 6 years or so.
Posted By: GreenGlow

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 01:31 PM

I had a blaster coil a year ago that leaked the first time I started the car. The oil spoog came out of the top of the terminal where they forgot to solder the hole closed. Those teminals are hollow gee I wonder why we see so many posts about broken terminals?? They gave me another and it's been working fine. I don't drive the car very much but so far so good.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 02:41 PM

for quite some time, they've had 2 types of coil. the oil filled ones, which it says right on the package, "do not mount horizontally" because the oil will leak out of them, they'll overheat and breakdown.

the other was epoxy filled, or at least epoxy sealed on the top, and were noticeably more expensive, these were ok to mount in any position you wanted.

sure you can call them a poor design, or say that quality has gone downhill with a shift in manufacturing location, but it's kind of hard to put blame on anyone but yourself when they tell you right in the instructions "Do not mount horizontally" and you chose to mount it horizontally...

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 05:59 PM

Mine is mounted verticle as it says in the instructions and it leaked out of the terminals. That kind of blows your theory out of the water.

Attached picture 7305832-419248_3083341280401_1169926873_32548474_1828865227_n.jpg

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 06:04 PM

This one is mounted verticle also and it's been fine for 2 years now. So I guess it's a 50/50 chance.

Attached picture 7305841-110.JPG
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/24/12 06:05 PM

Had one MSD leak and the screw had come loose down in the tower. It's a spare now and checked my new one and screw needed tightening but not leaking yet! :-)
Wonder if you could loctite the screw??
Posted By: TimS

Re: Leaky MSD Coils. - 07/29/12 12:10 PM

Quote:

Mine is mounted verticle as it says in the instructions and it leaked out of the terminals. That kind of blows your theory out of the water.

Correct, verticality has nothing to do with it. It's the increased pressure of the oil pushing on the tower seal. When these are manufactured they are supposed to be heated to 100C with the oil in the coil,then when we at Federal Mogul made them in the good ole USA, had an automatic screw gun that installed the screw and fitting to tower, trapping the hot oil. The dudes in Mexico have evidently bypassed that process or just decided not to do it on this lot of coils. I did tighten the screw up to expand the seal. That may or may not work. I'm hoping it has lost enough oil that when it gets real hot again the seal won't see as much pressure, but hasn't lost enough to effect the electronic performance. 35 inch lbs for screw installation torque was more than enough for seal compression when the coil is processed properly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums