Moparts

Keisler SS 700

Posted By: 70hemi4spdbee

Keisler SS 700 - 07/20/12 11:44 PM

So, Got a message from Keisler about the SS 700. Anyone know if they have a kit for 68-70 B bodies? Is this just more hype? Not ready, it will be months before anyone gets their hands on one? Says, "perfect fit all models"....really? No cutting anything?
Posted By: relax383

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 08/01/12 07:26 AM

well I asked Legend if it would fit in my 70 Road runner and they said it would. I was very specific in asking about the transmission crossmember clearences. I am actually going to order one so I will keep everyone posted. If i order tomorrow they said i was looking at a october delievery. I would check out their facebook pages. a few good pictures on there.

Brad
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 08/01/12 05:17 PM

I was looking at that too. Looks like a good price from the quote I received. I am pretty close to ordering one.
Posted By: 70hemi4spdbee

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 08/01/12 07:32 PM

Well, it so happens my application is a 70 Roadrunner as well. Hemi, 4 spd, Dana, yada yada. Really wanted to wait for the Passon 5 speed. However, the SS 700 appears to be ready now. Don't want to cut "anything" though. Please keep us up to date regarding the install and your driving impressions. Can you bang the hell out of it and it still performs is the real question. Grabbing that extra gear on a long cruise and lope along is so worth the money but it has to stay together.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 08/01/12 07:46 PM

I will keep you guys posted but it will be a few months before i even get it in the mail.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 08/09/12 06:00 AM

I ordered the SS700 today, should arrive in late October? I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Convertible Bee

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 09/07/12 09:46 PM

I'm curious, What line did they tell you?
I had a rs 600 ordered last may (5/1/2011), keisler kept delaying shipping, then they sent an option to upgrade to the ss700 earlier this year.
I'm still waiting to see a transmission from them. I was supposedly #42 on the order list.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 09/08/12 12:50 AM

Quote:

I am pretty close to ordering one.

After all the well publicized problems posted here over the years I thought you were smarter than that, Jim.

Oh well, it is your money...
Posted By: mjb765

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 09/08/12 03:10 AM

Quote:

I ordered the SS700 today, should arrive in late October? I'll keep you posted.

I will be interested to hear how it goes.....I just requested more info and a quote for my Super Bee.....wanted to wait for Passon, but it would be nice to know there is another option without cutting up the car.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 06:52 AM

Well, End of October and still waiting.
I did get an update on the SS700 testing results.
They Dyno tested the trans to 700 ft/lbs and have 1/2 of their track testing done and it looks good so far. Link (if it works?):
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/...x3_nWsMJZciN3Gi
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 02:58 PM

i have a friend who has a '68 427 vette and was looking at the keisler 700 tranny. anyhow, we got together and talked to a robert hall at american powertrain (1-931-510-0087) at the goodguys in indy this september. i strongly recommend talking to the power train guy before you order or put a deposit down on the 700 tranny.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

i have a friend who has a '68 427 vette and was looking at the keisler 700 tranny. anyhow, we got together and talked to a robert hall at american powertrain (1-931-510-0087) at the goodguys in indy this september. i strongly recommend talking to the power train guy before you order or put a deposit down on the 700 tranny.

I was hoping this trans would be a viable alternative after hearing disturbing rumors that the long-awaited Passon unit suffers from excessive and incurable gear noise problems.

Can you elaborate on what was said about the SS700 good and/or bad?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was hoping this trans would be a viable alternative after hearing disturbing rumors that the long-awaited Passon unit suffers from excessive and incurable gear noise problems.

my friend was going to buy a 700 for his vette. there was a tremec vendor, american powertrain, so we thought we'd take a look at a 700 before buying. we assumed the 700 was a tremec. apparently the 700 is a keisler tranny and not tremec. i walked away from the vendor with the belief there aren't any 700 tranny's availiable. it's a business venture that keisler is working on and none have been made. if this is true i don't think i'd put deposit money on something that doesn't exist. do some research, call some different vendors before you buy. you have to be careful about questioning the business practices of a moparts sponsor on this website. personally, i didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about what i heard.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my friend was going to buy a 700 for his vette. there was a tremec vendor, american powertrain, so we thought we'd take a look at a 700 before buying. we assumed the 700 was a tremec. apparently the 700 is a keisler tranny and not tremec. i walked away from the vendor with the belief there aren't any 700 tranny's availiable. it's a business venture that keisler is working on and none have been made. if this is true i don't think i'd put deposit money on something that doesn't exist. do some research, call some different vendors before you buy. you have to be careful about questioning the business practices of a moparts sponsor on this website. personally, i didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about what i heard.

The RS series of transmissions are Borg Warner units, modified by Keisler (only the 68-70 B body applications are out), very much the same way they mod the Tremecs, Keisler still offers Tremec TKO for Vettes....I did a 55 Chevy with a Keisler TKO600 5 spd last year or so, no issues, if your going to convert a Vette to 5spd, go with the TKO 600 5spd either Keisler, or American Powertrain, Hurst also has a TKO 500/600 5spd kit (Summit Racing)

Mike
Posted By: patrick

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 08:00 PM

Quote:

where'd you hear that? first I've heard of it....

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 08:03 PM

Quote:

The RS series of transmissions are Borg Warner units, modified by Keisler (only the 68-70 B body applications are out), very much the same way they mod the Tremecs, Keisler still offers Tremec TKO for Vettes....I did a 55 Chevy with a Keisler TKO600 5 spd last year or so, no issues, if your going to convert a Vette to 5spd, go with the TKO 600 5spd either Keisler, or American Powertrain, Hurst also has a TKO 500/600 5spd kit (Summit Racing)

Mike

what borg warner tranny is it based off of? AFAIK B-W divested it's tranny production and sold it off to TTC (Tremec) in the late 90's....

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

where'd you hear that? first I've heard of it....

I shouldn't have posted it because it's just a rumor. Some chevy guys were talking about it last weekend. It's probably BS as they they were bashing Kiesler too. Take it with a grain of salt. The Passon units should be shipping soon and Jammie will see this, chime in and quash it quickly.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/31/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

what borg warner tranny is it based off of? AFAIK B-W divested it's tranny production and sold it off to TTC (Tremec) in the late 90's....

Borg warner T-45 5 spd .67 OD IIRC........just go to Keisler's site, info is right there explaining what mods are performed and what parts are upgraded

Mike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/01/12 01:10 AM

I think the SS700 is a totally new transmission Keisler is developing with Legend Gear and transmission. They are supposed to have 300 units built this year. I pre-ordered a SS700 in early August and was told to expect it in October. In mid September they took a 50% deposit and said production will start in 4-weeks, Contacted them the other day and they said they have 30 units ready to ship. It sounds that in testing they made a few tweeks to the transmission which is delaying it?
One change was the shift fork pad material.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/01/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

I think the SS700 is a totally new transmission Keisler is developing with Legend Gear and transmission. They are supposed to have 300 units built this year.

Correct, the SS700 is the next generation based on Keisler RS 400/500/600 Borg Warner T-45, updated case, internals...IIRC 2 OD ratio choices

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/14/13 12:40 AM

Has anyone bought one and recieved it yet? I know they have started shipping them.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/14/13 04:21 AM

I talked to them last week, I was #252 in their que?
They told me it would be 8-10 weeks?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/14/13 07:29 AM

Well i hope you get yours ASAP. I would order one now but body work comes first.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/15/13 07:21 AM

Quote:

Well i hope you get yours ASAP. I would order one now but body work comes first.

I hope it gets here before spring. I have been getting all my drivetrain rebuilt/updated before I start on body work, but the car still looks good from 20 feet

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/26/13 08:14 AM

Anyone hear anything new?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/27/13 08:03 AM

Quote:

Anyone hear anything new?

I just got this Thursday:

" We at Keisler Engineering want to thank you for your patience regarding your SS700. It is now in production at Legend Gear & Transmission in Statesville, NC. will be shipped to us early March for us to build and we will be shipping to you 3/18/13. In order to keep you in the same queue we have charged your card for the balance, attached you will find the receipt for the transaction.

Best Regards,

Cheryl Holland
Keisler Engineering
865-609-8187
cheryl.holland@keislerauto.com"

Posted By: BDW

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/27/13 02:58 PM

Good luck,

Is it "normal" business practice to collect the full balance 2 months before "expected" delivery?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/27/13 03:11 PM

Quote:

Good luck,

Is it "normal" business practice to collect the full balance 2 months before "expected" delivery?

i thought it was illegal,....?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/27/13 07:14 PM

Quote:

Good luck,

I don't know, I just want to get this thing because I plan to put many miles on it this summer.

FWIW, the first 1/2 deposit was paid September of last year?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/29/13 06:30 AM

Just saw this thread #55 has been received. I dont know if there is a difference in backlog number vs the ones people are getting now.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400108&highlight=ss700

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/01/13 03:55 AM

Hey out there,

Just received my ss700, #63 for b body...

Unit looks heavy enough, and a clean design...

Here's what I see right out of the box, I'll start with the negatives...

1) the pilot for the throw out bearing is too big to fit a stock 2892626 bell housing and will have to be machined down...

2)the transmission bolt pattern doesn't line up with this housing either, though there is plenty of stock to put the holes in the correct positions...

3) the hole patten is for a tremec, ( I have a modified bb bell housing)...

4) aside from the 21 months of bs from keisler, My opinion, they are quick to get a sale get your money then will give the any reason why your trans doesn't ship...

For the positives...

1) doesn't look like I'll have to hack up the tunnel of my Coronet...

2) the modifications appear easy if you have access to a machine shop...

3) trans has Legend on the case, NOT "keisler"...
not a fan of them if you can't tell.

will post more when I start the install, probably a month or two...

Regards Tim

Attached picture 7569573-2013-01-31_20-49-52_153.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/01/13 03:56 AM

an other picture of the ss700

Attached picture 7569578-2013-01-31_20-50-12_60.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/01/13 03:57 AM

Legend ss700

Attached picture 7569579-2013-01-31_20-50-30_5.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/01/13 03:59 AM

stock bell housing and tremec modified bell housing

Attached picture 7569583-2013-01-31_20-54-36_882.jpg
Posted By: OUTLAW MOPAR

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/03/13 01:21 AM

I see this trans has a center shifter position how does that fit into an offset shifter hole that our cars have. And what input splines does it have, and does your stock driveshaft still fit back in.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/03/13 07:39 AM

Hey Bee just out of curiosity are you not a fan of Legend's trans because of the reasons listed or somthing else?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/03/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

I see this trans has a center shifter position how does that fit into an offset shifter hole that our cars have. And what input splines does it have, and does your stock driveshaft still fit back in.

My car is originally an auto, the shifter on the Legend is supposed to retain the the stock location in the console using a different shift handle,(available as an option).

For cars without a console and a 4 speed hump the install instructions state a small trim to the passenger side... Manual is a low quality copy, I'd have a hard time posting a picture of, so if you want a copy of that page contact keisler... ps the manual is still for the rs 600 trans...

I'm not sure if they even offer correct offset for b bodies with the 4 speed hump, Again contact keisler...

The drive shaft and yoke are included as part of the b body kit...

input shaft 1 1/8 x 26 spline
output is a 31 spline(their words "driveshaft per customer secs. includes yoke,premium solid u-joints, dynamic balance cert, 1200ftlb rated thinwall construction). Basically you have to measure from the back of installed trans to the face of the rear diff yoke face while the car is sitting level...

Hope that helps answer your questions, if you get a hold of keisler please post if the offset shifter is an option... thanks

I'll be making the mods to fit my stock bell housing this week, will post dimensions of what I change on the ss700 to get it to fit...

Regards Tim

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/03/13 08:09 PM

Quote:

Hey Bee just out of curiosity are you not a fan of Legend's trans because of the reasons listed or somthing else?

Not being a fan is of keisler, I don't have any problem with Legend...

Me not being a fan of keisler is because of interactions and communications between keisler associates and myself, Tell it straight, if there's a problem tell me, don't state that something is going to ship in two weeks/months then not contact when there's another delay...

Just refer too other posts on this thread, deliveries promised then missed...

I feel the trans will be a good upgrade, don't take the negatives I found on the ss700 the wrong way, but things need to be modified to fit correctly... I'm noting on my install so other b body owners have a reference to make their installs easier...

If you need more PM me...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/04/13 05:23 AM

I was actually thinking maybe you had something against Legend. I was just confused. Hope your install goes well keep us posted.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/04/13 06:43 AM

Last year they told me it would bolt up to a stock bellhousing without modifications, but I ordered the new bellhousing too. How about the other parts like the driveshaft, shifter, crossmember, and wiring?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/05/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

Last year they told me it would bolt up to a stock bellhousing without modifications, but I ordered the new bellhousing too. How about the other parts like the driveshaft, shifter, crossmember, and wiring?

On the advertizement for the SS700 the holes are in for the 883, my trans they just were not put in. Probably missed by them or a mistake for application( under the pilot it was marked Ford, some Fords share the same input shaft and shifter location needed for MoPar apps)...

For the wiring you are going to have to splice it in, nothing major..

My shifter handle is on back order, Three weeks... yah right! lol

Cross member looks descent. Could pass for a stock one. A little lighter in construction though...

Speedo cable is nice, trans isolator mount is an off the shelf part...

Other, bolts shipped with the trans are in bags referring to ford apps...

The drive shaft will be ordered after I have the trans mounted in my car and I can get them the length my car requires...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/05/13 05:11 AM

So they sent you a FORD bolt pattern?!

I want one of these transmissions but the thought of dealing with Kiesler concerns me so much that i don't know anymore.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 12:33 AM

I thought this was supposed to bolt to a 833 bell, does this bother any one else. And some passed off ford parts to boot. How can they get by passing this by for a Mopar application. And how about the instructions why not actually make the right instructions for the ss700 not repurposed rs600 that arent right. Why doesn't anyone call them on this, seems like people are just settling for whatever comes. Who gives a s&#@ if it is what you were told it was anyway. I was really thinking of getting on but after this im forced to rethink my decision.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 01:04 AM

Quote:

I thought this was supposed to bolt to a 833 bell, does this bother any one else. And some passed off ford parts to boot. How can they get by passing this by for a Mopar application. And how about the instructions why not actually make the right instructions for the ss700 not repurposed rs600 that arent right. Why doesn't anyone call them on this, seems like people are just settling for whatever comes. Who gives a s&#@ if it is what you were told it was anyway. I was really thinking of getting on but after this im forced to rethink my decision.

I'll post some pictures of the front of the trans later tonight , for the shifter being in the center, converting the automatic trans I won't have to add the 4 speed hump...
As I stated in an earlier post, I don't know if the offset shifter is offered, call keisler on it...

As far as letting them know about what was missed or wrong on my ss700, believe me shafi has heard about it from me personally...

well, back to starting the mods for getting this ss700 on my housing...
I've turned down the pilot from 4.849 dia to the mopar bell dia of 4.807...
also today put my mopar housing Casting 2892626 on the bridgeport and dialed off the mounting holes... I'll post a picture of the results, for reference only...as castings vary in tolerance slightly from one another...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 05:27 AM

Heres a pic of the input side of the ss700...

Will be drilling the hole pattern for a mopar housing, probably tomorrow evening...

May pull my 727 this weekend, see how things go...

Note the ford by the input seal...

if you check out the keisler ss700 ad you"ll see the 883 pattern, not on this unit though...

Attached picture 7577260-2013-02-05_18-30-14_506.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 05:40 AM

Some clutch bearings that I have ...

the shorter is from a keisler kit and could be used for this app, looking for a cheaper off the shelf unit...

the tall from a 2006 mustang...

The mustang unit is about 5/8" to tall due to the front seal boss on the ss700. At the top is the pilot that I turned down today... there are some shim spacers that are use to adjust the bearing height that are not in the picture... just noting

Still looking for a shorter FTE brand unit that could be used in place of the keisler unit...

Attached picture 7577280-2013-02-05_18-30-57_133.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 05:41 AM

an other pic of clutch bearings

Attached picture 7577283-2013-02-05_18-29-53_874.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 05:59 AM

bolt holes in housing reference...

sorry for the low quality, had to shrink the pixal size for it to upload...

Attached picture 7577304-2013-02-06_09-46-25_82.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 03:40 PM

That is some nice machine work but how is the regular guy with no cheap access to a machine shop supposed to handle this.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/06/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

That is some nice machine work but how is the regular guy with no cheap access to a machine shop supposed to handle this.

I would think Keisler has a bell for this application?, it appears that member Convertib,e Bee is trying to utilize what he has on hand, which is fine if you have access to machining, and the abiity to science out the application of parts/tolerances required, otherwise pony up for a complete kit/required parts...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/07/13 03:05 AM

I'll have to agree with Dayclona, on the use what I've got, but they had better get it together on pending mopar orders...
When it states it fits mopar components, then it should with out having to modify...
What machining I've done,in reality only took me about 30 minutes, though when the trans is being built would be less than 4 minutes more, every thing is already set up so it's only a few holes to drill or passes with the lathe...

Okay, that said, here's the front of the ss700 with the 883 housing holes in and the 4 others spotted...
I just wanted to see if there were other bolt options, so no, the trans case is in the back of the other 4 locations from the bell...

Housing slides on nice, .001 clearance, 4 bolts line up and thread in by hand... next step remove the 727, put ss700 on back of the 440, then cut the shift tower hole, ( automatic to manual conversion so I have to cut a little)...

Attached picture 7578246-2013-02-06_17-58-00_667.jpg
Posted By: Old School

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/07/13 05:48 PM

man that thing looks nice. looks beefy too. do you know how heavy it is? when they are available, i will get 3 or 4 of them. i like how the shifter is internal. no more sloppy shifter boxes or missed gears. to me that alone is worth moving the shifter hole over alittle. mine are all console cars, so you would never know......

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/07/13 06:13 PM

Quote:

man that thing looks nice. looks beefy too. do you know how heavy it is? when they are available, i will get 3 or 4 of them. i like how the shifter is internal. no more sloppy shifter boxes or missed gears. to me that alone is worth moving the shifter hole over alittle. mine are all console cars, so you would never know......

There's no issue with shifter location on console 68-70 B Body cars, as there's an offset bracket to locate the shifter in the stock console location, you could use the offset bracket under the boot of a non console car to locate the shifter back over to the drivers side more, for a more stock appearance,...if the bracket is still being manufacturered in aluminum, I'd recommend copying/remaching it in steel, as the leverage excerted by the shifters, esp the 70 B Body pistol grip console shifters, often fatiques the threaded holes and mounting boss of the aluminum, I have mentioned this to Keisler, as I'm sure others have also

Mike
Posted By: floridian

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/07/13 11:10 PM

So taking a chance on getting beat up on here...

What is the difference between the Super Stock transmission and the SS 700????

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/08/13 12:31 AM

Quote:

Shipping weight was 118 lbs with the crossmember and other small parts... came via ups...

For Outlaw Mopar's question
On machining my ss700, per a phone conversation with Ben at keisler, I explained to him that the pilot was too big, he asked what the bore on the housing that I was using, send the pilot back, they would remachine it but when the mount holes were mentioned, he'd have to talk to Shafi and another engineer... the out come was to buy keislers bell housing, or ship the whole thing back to have them correct it to fit my housing, that gets to where I'm at now, rewoking it myself...(I won't pay more to fix keislers oversight, shipping or parts), hopefully they're reading this and made the changes necessary to make your installs easier with no machining on your part...

As stated in an earlier post several people from keisler know my problems, hopefully you'll have a pleasant experience...

Regards Tim
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/11/13 10:35 PM

Jeesh, what a pain.

They definitely need the shifter offset to it can fit cars w/manual humps.

I bet you got someone's cancelled Ford trans!

Can't wait to see how it all fits and works!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 02:21 AM

Okay its bolted in, just for mock up fitment...

fits ok, quite close on the speedo cable/ electric speedo hook up...
cable is on left of tail, electric is on right...
pictures to follow...

The cross member will have to be drilled to allow the manual cable to reach, it's right in line with it and blocks off access for a straight hook up...

trans is tight on the stock unibody floor brace, right at the speedo hoook ups. Other wise there is plenty of room all around, even it an automatic tunnel...

shifter location, to me, appears to be about an inch too far forward, let me know what you think...

I will be making a bracket that puts neutral in the center of the boot...

The bracket for the stock auto shifter has to be removed, thus leaving the need for a mount bracket for the console... will address this in a few days...

I have a question, is it possible to install the drag link on a 69 b body backwards?

Attached picture 7584922-2013-02-11_17-17-30_760a.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 02:22 AM

in 4th gear

Attached picture 7584924-2013-02-11_17-51-06_630.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 02:22 AM

in 3rd gear

Attached picture 7584927-2013-02-11_17-50-47_834.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 02:23 AM

in neutral

Attached picture 7584928-2013-02-11_17-50-37_961.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 02:25 AM

cross member, note how tight it is to the speedo hook up...

also the room around the rest of the trans...

electric plug at top is for neutral safety switch

Attached picture 7584934-2013-02-11_17-13-28_457.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 04:25 AM

Quote:

I have a question, is it possible to install the drag link on a 69 b body backwards?

you want the offset in the link/bar facing rearward towards the back of the car

Attached picture 7585161-draglimk.JPG
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 04:29 AM

here we go again ... Perfect fit ..

havent you people learned ??

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 06:43 AM

Quote:

here we go again ... Perfect fit ..

havent you people learned ??

Ya. Jamie Passon got nothin' to worry about.
Posted By: wegner426

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/12/13 06:53 AM

How is the engine/trans angle? Is it correct or heading downhill to clear the body like the TKO's were? any more pictures from underneath that show the whole trans?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 01:22 AM

Quote:

How is the engine/trans angle? Is it correct or heading downhill to clear the body like the TKO's were? any more pictures from underneath that show the whole trans?

looking at the drag link on my b it there was no clearance to the oil pan, thus my question, thanks for the pic Dayclona...

the question tonight, to have steering or a speedo, having both without some modification to the unibody trans rail/support not looking good..,
with the trans bolted and the new cross member installed as the kit is intended the drag link is rubbing the oil pan...

with the tail of the trans lifted about 1" the drag link has about 3/16" of clearance, don't know if it will clear when turning, it's on ramps currently...
with tail lifted the speedo cable won't install without kinking it...

geometry? tipped a little, depends on how high you want to go, I could trim the speedo boss and go up 2" for the intended mount location... that would put the geometry very close to where the 727 out put was...

need to think about the speedo, steering issue, need to turn more than know how fast the ticket is going to bee... lol

Attached picture 7586095-2013-02-12_16-55-45_45.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 01:26 AM

back of trans lifted 1"

Attached picture 7586102-2013-02-12_16-53-44_546.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 01:30 AM

side picture

Attached picture 7586107-2013-02-12_16-56-34_719.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 01:35 AM

other side

Attached picture 7586122-2013-02-12_16-32-44_625.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 05:50 AM

Quote:

back of trans lifted 1"

Just my , but I'd treat this install just like a TKO500/600: I'd install the factory manual floor hump, it'll offer more clearance, and air circulation, as OD's run hot in prolonged OD operation, I see that what was the rear shifter casting boss, is hitting the upper tunnel crossmember, I'd trim off the bosses side casting to get the tranny even higher to establish a proper driveline angle, you should have at least 3/4-1" clearance between the oil pan and center link, also trim off all the unnecessary tabs/flanges on the tranny case, IIRC Keisler offers a right angle speedo adapter for some applications,.... and in some mopar TKO500/600 applications, the Keisler transmission crossmember used, bolts to the rear/backside of the vehicles crossmember,relocating the crossmember rearward, and the rubber mount is extended forward, unlike the crossmember your using, which look more "factory style"...the B Body TKO500/600 transmissiom mount offers adequate speedo clearance, perhaps you may want to incorporate/modify one of those for your application?

I would recommend using an inclination meter to set your driveline angles...to avoid vibration issues

Mike

Attached picture 7586464-7586102.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 05:04 PM

yeah....how much does this setup cost?

makes Jamie Passon's tranny, even at ~$4500 look like a good deal

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 06:31 PM

Quote:

As long as you don't need 5th gear or reverse, the Passon OD tranny souds like a good deal

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 08:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As long as you don't need 5th gear or reverse, the Passon OD tranny souds like a good deal

What's this?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yeah it might be a perfect fit, but what good is it if it fails? i really hope he gets it worked out. i still want one.
Posted By: JamiePasson

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,
BE CAREFUL! You are about ready to step over the line. Why do you have to bash our product the minute someone doesn't worship Keisler the way you do. I have not posted at all on the SS700 thread. The reason is because I have nothing constructive to bring to the table. I would rather stay out of it and remain professional than start the mudslinging. However, it appears that you chosen the other route.

Yes, we are working out a 5th / Reverse interlock issue that developed during prototyping. I didn't expect it to be a big deal, but it has been very challenging to overcome. However, I am pretty confident that we have it licked and are just waiting for final samples before pulling the trigger and ordering the first runs worth.
They say that the devil is in the details... Well, I agree that this is the case. However, when we release the unit for production, everyone, rest assured, you will be able to steer the car and tell how fast you are going!

Hey, at least when we get an order for an A-833 4 speed, we don't send the customer a Ford Top Loader!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/13/13 11:41 PM

Convertibee , what oil pan is that , almost looks like a modified dragster pan with the depth in the rear? Even though now that your driveline angle is screwed, typical for a NO HACK install with a Kiesler 5 speed, you could change your oil pan and get the clearance, a 402 or even the 6qt hemi pan isn't that deep in the rear ...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 01:11 AM

Quote:

Convertibee , what oil pan is that , almost looks like a modified dragster pan with the depth in the rear? Even though now that your driveline angle is screwed, typical for a NO HACK install with a Kiesler 5 speed, you could change your oil pan and get the clearance, a 402 or even the 6qt hemi pan isn't that deep in the rear ... [/quote ]

the camera angle is a bit off, the pan is a 402 knock off...

when the 727 was in, there was about 1/2 of clearance...

going to try to get a bit more lift on the tail, grind,
machine, whatever on the SS700. 1/2" to an 1"... this should put the geometry close to stock...

then, I hate to say, a bit of modifying to the crossmember mount for the speedo cable clearance...

Dayclona, the trans mount pictured is from keislers kit, also the speedo hole is in the center of the unibody trans mount, not allowing any room for a 90 adapter...
in the picture on the drive side, the speedo boss is the interference, I'll have to check where there's stock to remove and not...there is plenty of room around the trans in the stock tunnel, about an 1"

maybe this weekend, I'll try to do more...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 03:38 AM

I'm assuming this is in your convertibee ? If so it doesn't appear to be anything worth millions and since you are hacked a hole in the middle of your tunnel I'd just trim the required notch in the framerail to get your speedo clearnace and put the driveline back where it's supposed to be and reenforce the area , DONE ...

Posted By: ThermoQuad

Dayclona is out of geometric tolerance... - 02/14/13 12:22 PM

Dayclona, for once why can't you stick to the company line and just be those snake-charmer's bully pulpit and leave those whom make quality products out of the conversation.

Try doing a search on problems with your "friends". You will find many many angry unhappy customers. Why is that??? I can help you...they use the customer for final product development. Perhaps you should read Lee Iaccoca's book where he talks bout the aspen and volare when Chrysler pulled the same stunt and the consequences.

Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Mike,
BE CAREFUL! You are about ready to step over the line. Why do you have to bash our product the minute someone doesn't worship Keisler the way you do. ...

However, when we release the unit for production...

Sounds like the big question is how many Passons have been released into customer hands -- sounds like hte answer is zero.

However, one only has to casually follow Keisler threads to see lots of customers have had issues to sort thru. That's to be expected in such a conversion - unless you market your product with phrases such as 'PerfectFit' and 'hassle-free installation'.

Re: Dayclona is out of geometric tolerance... - 02/14/13 04:14 PM

Quote:

they use the customer for final product development. Perhaps you should read Lee Iaccoca's book where he talks bout the aspen and volare when Chrysler pulled the same stunt and the consequences.

Tom that is still going on today with all manufacturers , domestic anyway and I'm not a fan of imports .

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,
BE CAREFUL! You are about ready to step over the line. Why do you have to bash our product the minute someone doesn't worship Keisler the way you do. ...

However, when we release the unit for production...

Sounds like the big question is how many Passons have been released into customer hands -- sounds like hte answer is zero.

However, one only has to casually follow Keisler threads to see lots of customers have had issues to sort thru. That's to be expected in such a conversion - unless you market your product with phrases such as 'PerfectFit' and 'hassle-free installation'.

Fury Fan,
You got me there. We have not put any A-855 transmissions into customer's hands yet. We never sell our products to the public to test for us. We have been testing for over a year now. There have been quite a few revisions. The final issue that we are working through is the 5th gear Reverse interlock assembly. This issue developed late in the testing phase due a change in manufacturing of the pieces that make up the interlock. It was not cost effective to use the same procedure for production that we used in development. In changing the manufacturing process, it brought up some tolerance issues that we have had to work through. These are the things that happen when you develop a new transmission. I am confident that we have taken care of the issue. We are nearly there.

I am not going to get into an SS700 bash fest here. I specifically commented to Dayclona regarding the shot he fired over my bow. This was an obvious jab at us and our product. It is a shame that he doesn't know any of the specifics about our product, yet still has to bash it because I have been honest with potential customers about an issue that we have had to work through. I don't know, to me, Dayclona making this comment make him look desperate to cut down anything not Keisler. However, everyone can make their own conclusion. However, past posting may tend to support this thought.

I guess at the end of the day, I would rather be straight up with people about where we stand than lie to them. Nobody wins in the end with that scenario.
I also don't feel the need to bash the SS700. I let the facts speak for themselves. The pictures posted are hard to argue with... You cannot deny the fact that there are issues with fitment. End of story. Now mind you, this is after the transmission case had to be indexed and redrilled, bearing retainer/throwout bearing modified and different hardware sourced. Is it me, or that a heck of a lot to have to do for a "bolt in" setup. I just can't imagine what the customer would have done that did not have a milling machine and lathe in his "garage" out back to make the modifications.

Jamie

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

Fury Fan,
You got me there. We have not put any A-855 transmissions into customer's hands yet.

That wasn't meant as a criticism so I hope it didn't read that way. I was simply stating that whatever issues you have are yours alone, and not a customer's (exactly as you've said).

And you're exactly right, you solve 1 set of problems to get working prototypes, then very often solve differnt problems for the same components when you change to production processing. I see this every day at work.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 06:23 PM

Wasn't sure how to take it. But thanks for clearing it up.
Jamie

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 06:34 PM

Let's see.....this thread started out as a Keisler SS700 install, which I'm sure others as well as myself would like to see the details, while I'm content with using Keisler's Tremec TKO600's, I'd sure would like to see the other Keisler offerings,...but as usual, there's always a few Passon groupies/cheerleaders that show up lifting their skirts or flapping their arms, or gums, which is fine by me,... but when one of them wants to direct a question towards me, I'll respond in turn.....it's winter what do you expect, their bored, nothing to do, or install I guess?... and as far as any "bashing", I believe I merely stated a fact, correct?....

It's probally best for the "cheerleaders" to go back to their Passon thread in the new products section and pass their time and musings over there where they'll be more 'constructive"...

Mike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 07:09 PM

Quote:

,...but as usual, there's always a few Passon groupies/cheerleaders that show up ... but when one of them wants to direct a question towards me, I'll respond in turn.....and as far as any "bashing", I believe I merely stated a fact, correct?....

So I reread all this stuff. If you're referring to Patrick's post:
Quote:

I don't think he was necessarily directing a question toward you, but perhaps just used the 'reply' button, and you were the last poster at that time.

Regardless, and I have no dog in this fight, Keisler seems to release fitment issues to the public under the moniker of PerfectFit. If they would modify their marketing rhetoric for some of the applications, to denote that mods and fab will be required, the anti-folks would have little to stand on.

As far as merely stating a fact -- if the Passon trans is being withheld while they fix that fact, then you're just shooting blanks, aren't you???

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 07:40 PM

Quote:

but as usual, there's always a few Passon groupies/cheerleaders that show up lifting their skirts or flapping their arms, or gums, which is fine by me,... but when one of them wants to direct a question towards me, I'll respond in turn.....it's winter what do you expect, their bored, nothing to do, or install I guess?... and as far as any "bashing", I believe I merely stated a fact, correct?....

It's probally best for the "cheerleaders" to go back to their Passon thread in the new products section and pass their time and musings over there where they'll be more 'constructive"...

Mike

Pot and kettle come to mind here , maybe not you directly

And yes I have been guilty as charged on occasion , this is Moparts afterall.

Maybe if Kielser went back to sponsoring the board they might get afforded the same treatment as another sponsor ???

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 07:53 PM

Dayclona,
You seriously expect me to believe that there was nothing malicious or not a malicious tone used in what you said? Come on dude. Really? You must have forgotten about the emoticons included in the post. What you said was not stating a "fact". It was a smart A$$ comment because someone suggested that our product may actually be worth the money because it actually fits. A fact would have been something like: "Currently Passon is having 5th reverse interlock issues and the SS700 isn't having these issues" You said our trans is a good option as long as you don't need 5th or reverse.
What is your deal? You are acting like we have no 5th gear or reverse. The fact of the matter is that I am aiming for a better end result. We have both gears.

Dayclona,
PLEASE take some advice, think a little before you type the next time someone doesn't trip over themselves to support your master. You are WAY off base here man and you are only digging a hole for yourself. I'm not sure if you know it or not, but there are A LOT of people on this board that are not Keisler supporters because of valid issues. I know that its hard for you to believe this, but its true. Just because they may not like keisler, this does not automatically mean they like me. Whether they like me or not, I'm not sure that they are not gonna appreciate you grouping them into a "Passon cheeleaders" group, making distasteful comments about them wearing skirts and exposing themselves and talking to them like they are idiots because they don't feel they should have to go through a whole bunch of extra stuff that they were not warned about prior to purchase. You are really just coming off bad here man.

By the way, I'll let the other jab of the "nothing install" go. Besides, I would far rather our customers have a seamless install that takes a few hours.
I don't even know what to say... Are you having a rough winter or something?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/14/13 08:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

,...but as usual, there's always a few Passon groupies/cheerleaders that show up ... but when one of them wants to direct a question towards me, I'll respond in turn.....and as far as any "bashing", I believe I merely stated a fact, correct?....

So I reread all this stuff. If you're referring to Patrick's post:
Quote:

I don't think he was necessarily directing a question toward you, but perhaps just used the 'reply' button, and you were the last poster at that time.

Regardless, and I have no dog in this fight, Keisler seems to release fitment issues to the public under the moniker of PerfectFit. If they would modify their marketing rhetoric for some of the applications, to denote that mods and fab will be required, the anti-folks would have little to stand on.

As far as merely stating a fact -- if the Passon trans is being withheld while they fix that fact, then you're just shooting blanks, aren't you???

if Dayclona's undies bunching was due to my comment, I was just looking at all the issues with this "perfectfit (tm?)" "bolt in" installation....the install so far looks to be more cutting and work than it was for me to install an A500 into my M body....

heck, their website lists this text with regards to the SS700

✓All New Design

✓Made in USA

✓No Cutting ALL MODELS!!!

✓Precise Worry-free Shifts

✓700 ft/lb Torque Capacity

✓Compatible with Factory Bellhousings

✓Hassle-free Installation

they don't have prices on their website (call for quote), but in the past, their kits were in the $4000 range once it was all said and done...if Jamie's tranny is a true bolt in, and IIRC he's stated list price will be about $4500, while more expensive, it sounds like a pretty good value...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/15/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming this is in your convertibee ? If so it doesn't appear to be anything worth millions and since you are hacked a hole in the middle of your tunnel I'd just trim the required notch in the framerail to get your speedo clearnace and put the driveline back where it's supposed to be and reenforce the area , DONE ...

Well... I am going to put a notch in the framerail, still have to trm the trans to fit the arch...
i can deal with a hole for the shifter to come through, just not hacking up a bunch of original metal to fit an after market trans, if it comes to that, I'll tig the cutout back in and put the 727 back in...

better pics of the tail, 727 vs ss700

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/15/13 12:47 AM

727 stock position

Attached picture 7588626-a2013-02-14_727installed_pic_from_bot_of-pinoin_snubber.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/15/13 12:48 AM

ss700 as kit intends

Attached picture 7588628-a2013-02-14_ss700_installed_your_geometry_pic_from_bot_of-pinoin_snubber.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/15/13 12:50 AM

ss700 lifted 1"...

still need to lift it 3/4" for correct geometry

Attached picture 7588630-a2013-02-14_ss700_installed_lifted_one_inch_pic_from_bot_of-pinoin_snubber.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/15/13 03:36 AM

Think more grinding will get you that extra 3/4" you need?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/15/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

ss700 lifted 1"...

still need to lift it 3/4" for correct geometry

I would keep going till it's where it's supposed to be , otherwise then you'll have to go to the rear and adjust the pinion angle.

Here's the problem with Kiesler and the mopar muscle car market .... MOST mopar owners WILL NOT want to modify ANYTHING because they are afraid of hurting the value of the car, guilty as charged as far as my 69 GTS 383 is concerned , My 69 Bee ...

If I had a car that I was making a clone of from a less valuable model I would just hack out whatever needed to be cut so I could enjoy the car, the problem with grinding stuff off a part is the seller may use that as an excuse to VOID the warranty. You modify it ... YOU OWN IT ...
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/16/13 01:08 AM

Convertibee , you are a true hotrodder -youre makin
it work and thats cool ..Sorry about the way this is goin for you ,
But you seem to have it under control . Youre
Car is probably gonna rock with the ODrive.

As per Dayclonas reply , i looked hard
I googled and couldnt find any letter P
Cheerleaders around , but stumbled across these
Keisler lovers .
This was the most constructive thing i could do
After dinner while i wait for the shop to warm up.

Is shafj givin you free tranny credits every post
You make ...

.. Sorry couldnt resist ...

Attached picture 7589779-image.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/16/13 05:20 AM

Quote:

As per Dayclonas reply , i looked hard
I googled and couldnt find any letter P
Cheerleaders around

Oh they're around Andy,....just on a low budget is all

Attached picture 7590087-letterppppppppppppp.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/16/13 05:24 AM

Quote:

I would keep going till it's where it's supposed to be , otherwise then you'll have to go to the rear and adjust the pinion angle.

If I had a car that I was making a clone of from a less valuable model I would just hack out whatever needed to be cut so I could enjoy the car, the problem with grinding stuff off a part is the seller may use that as an excuse to VOID the warranty. You modify it ... YOU OWN IT ...

Own it? I'm trying just to salvage it...Lol $@#! happens

Just saying, the pictures I've posted have been sent to Shafi and whoever was linked to his email...

Stated that the geometry is off, my opinion, and what I've stated here on moparts to him...
I'll try to get an ok from him to modify the case... If I get it great, if not then I have to figure how to get around it...

I've gotten emailed ok for the housing holes + pilot... Don't see why this should be a problem either, as stated earlier the public can work out the bugs... free r&d...

no work on the bee this weekend, hit it next week...
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/16/13 08:35 AM

Quote:

Here's the problem with Kiesler and the mopar muscle car market .... MOST mopar owners WILL NOT want to modify ANYTHING because they are afraid of hurting the value of the car, guilty as charged as far as my 69 GTS 383 is concerned , My 69 Bee ...

Well, I cut up a '68 Charger 440 R/T 4 speed car to fit a T56...and ladder bars....and a 9" Strange.

I'm just posting this to see if anyone has a grabber

S/F.....Ken M

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/16/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Own it? I'm trying just to salvage it...Lol $@#! happens

Just saying, the pictures I've posted have been sent to Shafi and whoever was linked to his email...

Stated that the geometry is off, my opinion, and what I've stated here on moparts to him...
I'll try to get an ok from him to modify the case... If I get it great, if not then I have to figure how to get around it...

I've gotten emailed ok for the housing holes + pilot... Don't see why this should be a problem either, as stated earlier the public can work out the bugs... free r&d...

no work on the bee this weekend, hit it next week...

Convertible bee I just cant fathom that you are faced with this decision to hack up a new transmission and trans crossmember to install a " no cutting all models" trans. I would hate to see what would be required if they said you would need to do mods. It is becoming very evident that Kreisler never actually tried fitting one of these in a car during design.

After all this trans is a warmed over t45 and a 96 crustang 2 valve 4.6 was killing t45s with no torque
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/16/13 06:32 PM

WOW! I am saddened to see adults act like this! (Dayclona vs J.Passon) It just proves to me that humans are ill-designed...not me of course. Hah! I am neutral, being that I am not in the market for a 5-speed tranny, but If I was, I would chose Passon based on his demeanor, and the facts presented so far! The best people and products will always rise to the top! ...even if his or her cheerleaders don't have shorter skirts that their competitors!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/17/13 08:08 PM

Well was bored, did some fitting, had an oh $#!@ moment, my fault...

Trans is up where I think it should be, had to trim the shifter hole a bit more...

What do you guys think, close enough?

Made a template to use for clearance, all trimmed well on the ss700, no structural compromises, though here's my oh crap, didn't look at where the o ring for the speedo was and ground where it seals off... my fault!! I'll get around that, no big...

So as I see it, the speedo cable input needs to be on a steeper angle to clear,(it would be an easy fix for keisler when manufacturing), the edges trimmed for the b body cross member,(easy fix) and the Keisler cross member needs to be corrected for the height change (also an easy fix for Keisler),last thing, shifter perch, at least for automatic to manual conversion, needs to be 180 degrees, this would put the adapter in the center of the console boot when in neutral,(easy fix)...

I've done your R&D and posted it, correct this transmission's problems before you send any others ss700's that don't fit... this could be a descent transmission and an easy install...

These are my opinions and observations on this install your experience may vary. Tim

Last thought on this today...
If you cant't fix it with a hammer, the problems electrical...

Attached picture 7592038-727vsss7001.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/17/13 08:10 PM

Areas affected by trimming...

Attached picture 7592044-ss700transmods1.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 12:18 AM

nicely done Convertible Bee I would also suggest sending Legend these pics and info so they might use it in the future.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 01:01 AM

Quote:

nicely done Convertible Bee I would also suggest sending Legend these pics and info so they might use it in the future.

To the moparts guys who shared ideas, input, comments and info with me.

Thanks for the positive comments and emails, your why this forum is GREAT!!!

Tim

PS anyone have a console bracket, the center one, mine came out with the auto shifter. Thanks
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 01:49 AM

That was not really that bad to get it in there, let us know how it shifts when you start driving it.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the input. I should have my SS700 next month. Going into the '69 Coronet 4-speed car, and I am using the stock clutch linkage / mechanical throw-out bearing, so it may use a different retainer? I ordered pretty much the entire kit except clutch linkage, so it will be coming with Keislers bellhousing, inspection cover, console shifter, clutch, pressure plate, etc.
I'll post some pictures when it shows up.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 03:39 PM

So a SS700 fits without having to change to a manual tunnel?
That is kind of nice not having to replace the tunnel on a car with a painted floor.
Too bad Keisler couldn't do a few minutes of machining to make things easier for you.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 03:53 PM

The animosity and "shots across the bow" aside, this is a great thread. Thanks Tim for taking us all along for the ride.
Craig

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 03:57 PM

Quote:

So a SS700 fits without having to change to a manual tunnel?
That is kind of nice not having to replace the tunnel on a car with a painted floor.
Too bad Keisler couldn't do a few minutes of machining to make things easier for you.

It would be nice if it fit into an A body with the automatic tunnel, I never liked how much room the manual tunnel takes up.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/18/13 11:11 PM

I sent Legend a copy of this thread via facebook. I got a response from the front desk saying they were passsing it on to the engineers and desginers hopefully they read it and can fix the little things because really its all just little stuff. But the devil is in the details.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/19/13 12:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input. I should have my SS700 next month. Going into the '69 Coronet 4-speed car, and I am using the stock clutch linkage / mechanical throw-out bearing, so it may use a different retainer? I ordered pretty much the entire kit except clutch linkage, so it will be coming with Keislers bellhousing, inspection cover, console shifter, clutch, pressure plate, etc.
I'll post some pictures when it shows up.

Just a note from my communications with Keisler, the bell housing you are getting from them will have the 4.849 pilot and the tremec (ford) bolt pattern... no big...

it's a matched set, so you shouldn't have the issue I did on mounting to a stock mopar bell housing...

keep in mind that if you decide later to use a different housing lakewood offers a mopar bell with a tremec pattern...

As for your clutch, I'm hydraulic and will deal with it as soon as the speedo issue it resolved on my install, please keep us posted how your mechanical clutch works out...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/19/13 01:12 AM

Quote:

I sent Legend a copy of this thread via facebook. I got a response from the front desk saying they were passsing it on to the engineers and desginers hopefully they read it and can fix the little things because really its all just little stuff. But the devil is in the details.

good call, I didn't see an email for them on their website, was wondering how to get it to them...

I agree on this stuff is no big deal, just inconvenient...
Posted By: wegner426

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/19/13 02:50 AM

Is the correct bellhousing supposed to be included in the price or is that extra?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/19/13 05:01 AM

Quote:

Is the correct bellhousing supposed to be included in the price or is that extra?

It would have been $300 extra for me...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/19/13 07:17 AM

Bellhousing is extra $$$. They told me the trans would bolt upto a stock bellhousing without modification. I figured I would just the entire 833 with stock bellhousing in another project, and got the aluminum housing for the SS700 trans swap.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/13 01:43 AM

Spoke with Shafi and David from Keisler today. The outcome of the conversation was satisfactory to me. They are going to work through and assist me with the issues with my trans swap.

The highlights are:
1) The issue with the bolt pattern and pilot for the stock Mopar bellhousing is resolved. If you order a trans to fit a Mopar bell it will have the correct bolt pattern and pilot size for a stock Mopar bell. If you order a Keisler bellhousing the trans will fit that bell; remember the Keisler bellhousing has the tremec bolt pattern and pilot.

2) The stock to get the tail higher in the tunnel, will be taken care of too. This was minor but did prevent the trans from lifting completely to the position that I needed. So no problem there now.

3) The speedometer cable location -- we discussed on how the stock B-body cross member frame interfered. They are going to see if the cable mount location can be clocked to allow more clearance to the frame. From my measurements I feel that this is very possible as long that there is wall stock in the casting. About 5 degrees should do it. *Side note -- On their XP Charger the engine appears to sit flat but slightly lower. This is why I believe the cable was placed where it was. I would have missed that too.

In reality I am amazed it fit at well as it did with this trans being able to fit as many cars as it does. A few tweaks in the beginning are to be expected.

4) The shifter location, Shafi assured me would be correct when I start the final assembly. Because of his willingness to help out with the other concerns, I believe it will.

*Final Thought - With these concerns corrected I feel this will be a very affordable overdrive transmission for our B-bodies.

Tim

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/13 03:43 AM

I am glad you had that chat with the guys at Keisler hopefully they get all these issues worked out. As you say they do seem minor. Hopefully the guys at Legend have seen the thread. Its a good thing you had the background for this R&D i think you saved quite a few of us some big headaches.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/13 04:31 AM

Glad it's going good.

Awaiting a test drive!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/13 05:35 PM

ConveribleBee -
Would you be willing to give us a breakdown of what this kit costs (saw the $300 for the BH)?

I suspect a bunch of us are curious yet don't want to bombard Keisler for a formal quote.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

ConveribleBee -
Would you be willing to give us a breakdown of what this kit costs (saw the $300 for the BH)?

I suspect a bunch of us are curious yet don't want to bombard Keisler for a formal quote.

I only have the intial early pre production quotes, they may have changed +/- depending on how complete the customer wants the install kit, ss700, just the tranny $2499,...A complete kit, bell, clutch, flywheel, tranny, shifter, driveshaft, crossmember/mount, etc, etc misc install hardware $3600-$3800 depending on application, hyd TOB, add $599....I don't know what discounts may apply

Mike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/13 10:35 PM

The price is fair, now I hope it fits an automatic floor A body. Not that I care about cutting a car but it would be nice to keep the floor space.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

The price is fair, now I hope it fits an automatic floor A body. Not that I care about cutting a car but it would be nice to keep the floor space.

If you had a 727 in it the ss700 will should fit, I have a 904 on the shelf, will look to see if the 727 is much bigger... will try to set the ss700 next to the 904 this weekend an get a picture of them together...
I'm pulling the engine next week to freshen it up for this spring, seals, oil leaks, and have the p/s box rebuilt...

For the price, Dayclona has stated is about what I paid, $3500. trans shifter, driveshaft, shifter, ball, hardware...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you had a 727 in it the ss700 will should fit, I have a 904 on the shelf, will look to see if the 727 is much bigger... will try to set the ss700 next to the 904 this weekend an get a picture of them together...
I'm pulling the engine next week to freshen it up for this spring, seals, oil leaks, and have the p/s box rebuilt...

For the price, Dayclona has it listed about what I paid $3500. trans shifter, driveshaft, shifter, ball, hardware...

Would that be nice if it did fit the auto tunnel! Thanks for checking.

Does Dayclona sell them?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 01:38 AM

Let me rephrase that, What Dayclona has stated is about what I paid,

ss700's are only available through Keisler...
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 04:35 AM

How does the actual size of this trans compare to the a-833?

Length from bell face to tail? Any chance of keeping stock length driveshaft?

Has any race testing been done on this trans? Power shifting up over 6'500rpm....not just clean shifting, but POWER shifting up high?

Can you launch at WOT and let the clutch out with slicks?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 03:55 PM

Quote:

Has any race testing been done on this trans? Power shifting up over 6'500rpm....not just clean shifting, but POWER shifting up high?

Can you launch at WOT and let the clutch out with slicks?

There's a couple of vids on Youtube from Keisler and others testing the SS700 at the track/street

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 04:01 PM

I talked to the designers at SEMA. I asked them why they put one in a new Mustang. They told me they needed an engine they could rev up to 7000 rpms to test power shifting. There is no doubt in my mind from the rest of the conversation that they built a Heavy Duty gear box. Most of my concern came from the Kiesler end of how to get one.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

I talked to the designers at SEMA. I asked them why they put one in a new Mustang. They told me they needed an engine they could rev up to 7000 rpms to test power shifting. There is no doubt in my mind from the rest of the conversation that they built a Heavy Duty gear box. Most of my concern came from the Kiesler end of how to get one.

It's rated at 700lb- ft so it should be strong enough for most cars.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 04:42 PM

I found only 1 video of a newer mustang making 200 runs and 4000 miles of driving....BUT....all the runs were started on a roll, and no mention or incar camera showing how it was shifted or at what RPM. It also looked like an 1/8th mile strip. Not sure if it even made it into 4th gear as a Power shift.

A bunch of videos of Installations. And a lot of talk about the product and then people driving them leasurely down the road.

Personally, I want a trans to handle the power and be able to powershift way high rpm, and be able to drive on the street nice and easy. Not clunking while street driving. Fully syncro'd! The extra 5th gear is just a bonus on top of the other stuff.

Looks like a great unit, but I want to see a Right foot on the floor the whole run, shifting over 6500rpm after launching hard, with slicks at a drag strip....hitting 2nd 3rd and 4th gear POWER SHIFTING.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

It's rated at 700lb- ft so it should be strong enough for most cars.

Torque capacity and max RPM ratings are 2 separate design criteria, though. But yes, I'd agree with your statement otherwise.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/21/13 06:32 PM

Sounds like it was tested in a mustang with a 5.0 coyote and they rev to 7000-7500 rpm.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/22/13 03:50 PM

Well......it's gone quiet on this. Guess it hasn't been fully tested on a track!

Jamie got back to me about his trans, and he's tested his pretty good at the track. WOT power shifts at 6500rpm.

I like this SS700 trans, but I'd like to hear / see of some real drag strip testing on them.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/22/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Well......it's gone quiet on this. Guess it hasn't been fully tested on a track!

Jamie got back to me about his trans, and he's tested his pretty good at the track. WOT power shifts at 6500rpm.

I like this SS700 trans, but I'd like to hear / see of some real drag strip testing on them.

The SS700 has just hit the scene, so to speak, there's a few of the Keisler and enthusiast test RS600 vids out there, as the SS700 is basically the RS600, the RS600 was a remanned T45 from BW with Keislers mods, basically the RS600 was a "filler offering" untill the Legend/Keisler offering was into production stages, the SS700 is a joint venture between Legend and Keisler to be self-dependent on castings and internal hardware, rather than purchase whole transmissions, or outsource the cases, internals, assembly, etc...the SS700 is an internal upgrade in mat'ls and components, and a modified transmission casting...I'm waiting to see how these units do in the hands of the enthusiast before a purchase, if it's on par, or superior to the Tremec TKO600/650, then I have no problem ordering a unit thru/from Keisler, I'm not too happy with the .70 OD, I'd much prefere the TKO600 .64 OD

Mike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/22/13 07:06 PM

So Keisler and Legend have not tested this transmission at the track and reported results back?

I understand that they just hit the streets, but even Jamie has tested his transmission at the track in various cars. Even if they are bias results, at least there is something to make an opinion with.

I'm sure the ss700 is strong and all. I'm sure their claim of 7500 shifts are correct. But why have they not stated that you can Power shift it at a certain rpm?

I guess I'll just have to wait for someone that bought one, to actually run it hard at the track and report back.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/23/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

So Keisler and Legend have not tested this transmission at the track and reported results back?

I understand that they just hit the streets, but even Jamie has tested his transmission at the track in various cars. Even if they are bias results, at least there is something to make an opinion with.

I'm sure the ss700 is strong and all. I'm sure their claim of 7500 shifts are correct. But why have they not stated that you can Power shift it at a certain rpm?

I guess I'll just have to wait for someone that bought one, to actually run it hard at the track and report back.

if you are going to be beating the crap out of it at the track, with 7500 power shifts. should'nt you be looking at a lenco? i dont think the passon or the ss700 can take that continous beating for long. sounds like you need a race trans that is built for that kind of driving...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/24/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

F4

The SS700 has just hit the scene, so to speak, there's a few of the Keisler and enthusiast test RS600 vids out there, as the SS700 is basically the RS600, the RS600 was a remanned T45 from BW with Keislers mods, basically the RS600 was a "filler offering" untill the Legend/Keisler offering was into production stages, the SS700 is a joint venture between Legend and Keisler to be self-dependent on castings and internal hardware, rather than purchase whole transmissions, or outsource the cases, internals, assembly, etc...the SS700 is an internal upgrade in mat'ls and components, and a modified transmission casting...I'm waiting to see how these units do in the hands of the enthusiast before a purchase, if it's on par, or superior to the Tremec TKO600/650, then I have no problem ordering a unit thru/from Keisler, I'm not too happy with the .70 OD, I'd much prefere the TKO600 .64 OD

Mike

The issue raised was "drag strip testing by the manufacturer". It appears keisler is lacking here... Well Dayclona to the rescue to explain away, lack of testing!! "Uh the ss700 just hit the streets". Dayclona, stick to the issue. "Drag strip testing by the manufacturer" not the end user! One more point... just because a coyote 5.0 revs 7500 doesn't mean the trans will shift there at WOT! Plus they have a less than stellar torque number.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/24/13 01:39 AM

Here you go drag strip testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnwEL8W0Nec

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/24/13 02:02 AM

Looks like a weak a$& mustang launching soft

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/24/13 02:09 AM

Quote:

Yea those weak ass Boss 302's run 11's stock with a set of slicks
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/24/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yea those weak ass Boss 302's run 11's stock with a set of slicks

Call me a doubting Thomas, I didn't see one time on the boards watching that video and the launches seem to be selectively edited out.

Anything close to a launch looked more like a roll to me for what its worth.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/24/13 07:00 PM

A lenco isn't a stick shift trans in my book. It's a planetary trans and you have cut the car completely apart. Hope you were joking.

I want, what hasn't been available....a fully syncronized trans that can be power shifted up high and handle a ton of power....5 spd to boot.

That's what they kinda claim. I want to know if they are powershifting it up high...that's a lot to ask of syncronizers! So far, Jamie is doing it with his 5sp in testing that he is doing....not the customer.

If this trans can't be power shifted up high, I don't want it!

I beat my car hard....that's whats fun! I don't just go from my garage to a cruise and back to my garage!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/25/13 02:49 AM

{quote}I beat my car hard....that's whats fun! I don't just go from my garage to a cruise and back to my garage!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/28/13 02:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For the price, Dayclona has it listed about what I paid $3500. trans shifter, driveshaft, shifter, ball, hardware...

Would that be nice if it did fit the auto tunnel! Thanks for checking.

Here are some pictures of a 727, ss700, and 904 together for size comparison...

tails are lifted so all are about level...

the 727 is wider, till where the ss700 shifter is...

the 904 is about the same size across as the ss700, till shifter again...

across for height in the tunnel ss700 appears to be a little lower than both until the shifter again...

if you need better dimensions, let me know what you need, I'll try to get them for you...

My opinion, the ss700 is about the same size as the 904, tail is a bit shorter so it needs the driveshaft that comes in the kit...

measured the way instructed in the install directions, mine measures 58 5/8"... that's cl of rear yoke to the back of the trans casting...
just ordered on Monday so we'll see how long the unit they ship is...

Attached picture 7606119-ss700_vs_727_vs_9042.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/28/13 02:35 AM

ok here's what i did to the crossmember to get the speedo cable to fit until Keisler has a chance to take care of the interference, as I stated before, shouldn't take much and this trans would be a couple hour to install...

will clean sand and repaint when the engine is out...

Attached picture 7606159-speedo_cable_clearance.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/28/13 02:42 AM

I'm glad you managed to fix your problems fairly easy. Is there any room in there for a 90 degree speedo adapter. I use one on my A body and was just curious.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/28/13 03:06 AM

something like this maybe or is it too tight with the angle of the housing?

Attached picture 7606220-sw_407010_f_lg.gif

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/28/13 03:44 AM

No room for the adapter, i looked into that route...just to tight, and the location...
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/28/13 04:05 AM

Quote:

if you need better dimensions, let me know what you need, I'll try to get them for you...

My opinion, the ss700 is about the same size as the 904, tail is a bit shorter so it needs the driveshaft that comes in the kit...

Actually, I'm curious what the weight comparison would be to that 904............

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 03/04/13 12:48 AM

any more news? had a chance to drive it yet?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 03/08/13 09:41 PM

I wonder does the RS500/600 have the same speedo location problem the SS does? The tail shaft housings look similar. I have yet to find a mopar owner who has an RS series trans.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 03/25/13 04:38 PM

Still waiting.....

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/07/13 07:51 AM

Convertible Bee, Have you driven the car with the new transmission?

I think Keisler may have modified the tailshaft casting? When I called about my transmission they mentioned something about waiting for a new tailshaft casting?

I'm calling the Monday to get an update and find out what is going on.

I did remove the old 833 4-speed today, and took some measurements of the stock position of the trans output to tunnel, and oil pan to drag link, so I'm ready to install the new trans if it ever gets delivered.....

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/19/13 08:06 AM

Got the transmission today! I think it is #207?
Has a "FORD" sticker on the trans? Looks like yours, so I may need to do some hacking to get it in too. I did take photos of where the stock trans output was in relation to the trans tunnel.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/20/13 02:53 AM

Any pictures of your trans? I am curious if they have made the revisions to the tailshaft housing. Is the Speedo housing behind the transmission mount?
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/20/13 07:02 AM

Ok ,Im sold.I am going to order a Passon 4spd OD next week!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/21/13 06:37 AM

Quote:

Any pictures of your trans? I am curious if they have made the revisions to the tailshaft housing. Is the Speedo housing behind the transmission mount?

I'll post photos later, but the transmission is the same as convertable bee's. I ran into all the same fitment issues. The kit wants the tailshaft hanging down 5" from the top of the tunnel to the center of the output shaft. This has the headers hitting the steering linkage. The stock trans output shaft is about 3-1/2" to the top of the tunnel. So, it looks like raising the rear of the trans 1-1/2" moves the oilpan/headers up about 1/2" for clearance. To move the trans up that far requires trimming the sides of the tailshaft, and making clearance for the speedometer cable, and then the trans is still touching the sided of the trans/T-bar crossmember. I'm going to look at convertible bees photos again, but on my car, I may just notch the T-bar crossmember for mors side clearance

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/21/13 07:07 AM

Forgot to add that the bellhousing alignment was off 0.035" top to bottom (needs to be moved up), and also off about 0.005" side to side. I just ordered some offset dowl pins from Robb Mc Performance.
I also measured for the driveshaft, so I can get that ordered from Keisler.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/21/13 07:31 AM

Considering how much I've read on how their previous transmissions require modifications when they claim they don't... I'm no surprised at all this one is the same way.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/22/13 02:29 AM

I am not really surprised that the cases haven't had simple revision to make installations easier. This type of oversight can put off potential buyers.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/22/13 10:42 AM

I just ordered a plasma cutter to make the trans crossmember surgery easier. My next project is getting a 518 trans into another '69 Coronet 500.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/23/13 12:13 AM

sorry been away for a while,

Haven't driven the my bee with ss700 yet, my engine block froze and cracked over winter,found that when I was putting in a new rear main seal, so it's new block time, shop told me a few weeks due to their work load... 2nd week in May if I'm lucky...

anyway can't win 'em all...

I'll post more when I know more, too note, I'm gonna pound that ss700 with the new engine "535cid"...
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/24/13 02:36 AM

Quote:

I just ordered a plasma cutter to make the trans crossmember surgery easier. My next project is getting a 518 trans into another '69 Coronet 500.

So let me get this straight,you need a plasma cutter,Bridgeport,and a lathe to make this "no hack job" "bolt in" transmission fit

Keisler Sucks and Passon rules Rah Rah Rah...that's for Gayclona
I guess Shafti thinks your time is worth nothing letting you guys do all the fitting while he counts the money
Gus

Attached picture 7680112-rearviewofsavoy-001.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/24/13 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So let me get this straight,you need a plasma cutter,Bridgeport,and a lathe to make this "no hack job" "bolt in" transmission fit

Keisler Sucks and Passon rules Rah Rah Rah...that's for Gayclona
I guess Shafti thinks your time is worth nothing letting you guys do all the fitting while he counts the money
Gus

No, most could be done with a sazzall or wizz wheel

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/30/13 08:05 AM

Crossmember clearanced for tailshaft and floor cur for shifter/shifter top plate clearance.
Photo

Attached picture 7688024-TransClearance.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/30/13 08:15 AM

I boxed in the cut out part with 3/16" thick strap.
Can't find that photo, but here is the trans installed at the angle/position Keisler expects (5" from the top of the trans tunnel.)

Attached picture 7688029-5ininstall.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/30/13 08:19 AM

This is the height it should be, about 3.25" to 3.5" from the top of the tunnel.

Attached picture 7688030-3ininstall.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/30/13 08:24 AM

At the 5" drop from the trans tunnel, this is the lack of clearance to the passenger side TTI header.
Not shown, oil pan clearance was about 1/2"

Attached picture 7688032-headerclearance.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/30/13 08:31 AM

Just a pic from when I was painting the 1-1/2" x 3" crossmember spacer (and longer bolts) we made to move the trans up. The spacer sits flat, this was on end just to paint it. We also hacked the front drivers side of the trans crossmember to try making more room for the speedometer cable roting, and we added a reinforcing washer. Speedometer cable clearance is still tight. I though I took more pictures, but I think the battery may have died?

Attached picture 7688034-paintspacer.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 05/07/13 08:29 AM

great information keep the pics coming.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 05/07/13 08:56 AM

Quote:

great information keep the pics coming.

Was hoping to have the driveshaft, been two weeks since I sent Keisler the length. Maybe I'll get it this week .....

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 05/19/13 08:51 AM

Got the driveshaft this week, so today (ok Saturday) I dialed in the bellhousing with the 0.021" offset dowels, Installed the roller pilot bearing (easy), Installed the clutch and pressure plate, and went to install the throwout bearing, and ran into the first issue of the day. The bearing retainer/shaft the throw out bearing rides had a black parkerized type finish, and the throwout bearing was just grabbing it and wouldn't slide on. Took some emery cloth and polished up the input bearing retainer shaft, and the throw out bearing and that fixed that problem. Filled the trans with ATF (Mercron/Dextron per the instructions), and installed the trans which took a bit of time. Need to put the throwout bearing on the clutch fork BEFORE installing the trans (my bad), but got the trans in and all bolted up.
The driveshaft fit very good, and finished up a bunch of the small stuff which took more time than I care to admit (installing the carpet, speedometer cable, reverse light wiring, gas pedal, seats, exhaust, starter, etc...

Took the car out for a quick drive to the gas station and short drive (maybe 10-miles.) The trans shifts really nice, was quiet, and no vibrations (on went upto 70-mph.) I did have an issue where the trans would come out of 5th gear when coasting down around 40 mph? Above 40 and no problem. I will pull the console cover/boot and re-check in case the boot is trying to pull it out of 5th?

Anyhow, need to put more easy miles on it and the clutch before I can hammer on it.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 05/30/13 01:45 AM

Did you find out why it was popping out of gear?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 05/30/13 02:07 AM

any updates that you can give? i'm watching this thread closely. i need a few overdrive units for my cars.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 05/30/13 06:20 AM

Last week I drove the car, but did not get a chance to work on it. I need to remove the console top and make sure the shifter boot or carpet is not causing the problem? I called Keisler and they were nice, said they would take care of the problem if it is not one of the things above (I forgot to double check the carpet clearance.)
The transmission shifts really nice, so once the fifth gear issue is solved I will be happy with the transmission, and the clutch seems to work way better than my old one. Got on it getting onto a highway and smoked the tires through first, chirped the tires on the 1-2,2-3, and 3-4 shifts
I guess if you installed the trans with the tail tilted down it would fit without cutting the trans tunnel (still need to cut for the shifter.)

My other non-trans issue is the stock tach won't work with the Crane HI-6 ignition...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/10/13 11:37 AM

I am getting ready to order my trans any more advice from you guy who have done the conversion? I was planning to order the trans and their bellhousing any TO bearing issues i should watch for?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/11/13 06:58 AM

Quote:

I am getting ready to order my trans any more advice from you guy who have done the conversion? I was planning to order the trans and their bellhousing any TO bearing issues i should watch for?

I'm using the factory mechanical setup, and it has been working good. I don't know about the hydraulic clutch setup?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/11/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm using the factory mechanical setup, and it has been working good. I don't know about the hydraulic clutch setup?

If the hydraulic set up supplied is the FTE throw out bearing, and the Keisler/Wilwood master, it's a very reliable set up, I've installed quite a few units, my only suggestion is to cover the braided stainless line that runs to the hyd TOB with a high heat spark plug wire covering, esp if running headers, as the braided line like to absorb heat, I usually run Porsche Blue Racing fluid in the hyd TOB as it has a high heat rating, and thicker viscosity than conventional DOT3-5 brake fluid

Mike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/12/13 01:21 PM

thanks for the advice Mike will make a note on the Hyd Fluid.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/21/13 01:07 AM

Any of you guys put a decent amount of miles on their 5 speeds yet?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/22/13 04:05 PM

I had about 300 miles on mine when i sent it back because of the 5th gear issue (coming out of gear.)
Keisler paid for the shipping. I also sent them a video clip of the problem so they could see how the shifter dropped into neutral when coasting in 5th gear.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 07/19/13 03:02 AM

Did you get your replacement trans yet?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 07/19/13 06:13 AM

Quote:

No, still waiting....
I'll give them a call Monday, or tomorrow if it rains. I have tickets for the Mile High Nationals tomorrow, but the weather forecast looks like the most rain we have had all year
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 07/19/13 01:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, still waiting....

You have a lot of time and money tied up in what is supposed to be a "bolt in" upgrade, I'd be rather irate at this point.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 08/26/13 12:21 PM

Any news from anyone who has installed their trans or received a replacement?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 09/25/13 03:25 AM

Quote:

Any of you guys put a decent amount of miles on their 5 speeds yet?

Been driving all summer on this ss700, I can say I'm happy with it, aside from the initial issues, I've had no further complaints...

About 3800 miles still no leaks, shifts well, throw is similar to a stock 4 speed. you really don't feel the shift gate,just seems to glide gear to gear, nice...
No vibrations at 70 mph in 5th, smooth at 120 mph in 4th on the power, hit 5th under power?, not going there on the street, though the 535 is still pulling...
As for pounding on it, I've side stepped the clutch a couple times at 4500, caught 2nd with out getting out of the throttle, then hard into 3rd...haven't noticed any problems shifting yet...

But as my Dad keeps telling me, "You only going to get so many really good power shifts, you can use 'em all today, over a week, month, season, years, your call son it's your time and money"...

My comment on the ss700, if you can accept a little modification, and fabrication, it is the best After market 5speed for the $$, and fits in an automatic tunnel...
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 09/25/13 04:50 AM

Do you happen to know if your issues have been fixed on the new units being shipped?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 09/25/13 06:01 AM

I'm out of town working, but the trans is supposed to be arriving at my home this week or next week?
Keisler said there may have been a crack in the tailhousing? The told me they have had another transmission returned with the 5-th gear comming out of gear, and they said they modified the shift rail detent, and added a stiffer detent ball spring?

I think my transmission is cursed. It was supposed to be shipped weeks ago, but when they were testing the transmission on their test machine, the test machine broke....
Posted By: edco440

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/11/13 11:13 PM

Received my Keisler SS 700 LGT for my 72 Challenger today!

Attached picture 7884413-004.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/12/13 03:57 AM

Quote:

Received my Keisler SS 700 LGT for my 72 Challenger today!

Get that sucker bolted up ASAP so we can see how well (or not well) it fits in your e-body?
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/12/13 07:33 AM

Legend should just sell these direct without the middle man...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/12/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Legend should just sell these direct without the middle man...

There's a middle man?....

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/12/13 03:46 PM

That tail housing/shifter look totally different than what my B-Body trans has? What does the crossmember look like?

I got my trans back in the Coronet, and I am changing the crossmember spacer from 1-1/2" thick to 1-1/4" so the transmission will fit in the modified tunnel without modifying the new trans tailshaft.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/12/13 09:28 PM

Thanks,,here is a pic of the crossmember Keisler sent me. I will report any issues.

Attached picture 7885303-002.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/12/13 09:30 PM

Attached picture 7885308-003.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 10/30/13 04:15 PM

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/02/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

X2 on the E-body install...
Posted By: belvedere

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 01:46 AM

can I see more pics of the shifter.i have a cuda trans and shifter in my 65 belvedere afx and would like to try a ss700 thank you.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 06:10 AM

Quote:

can I see more pics of the shifter.i have a cuda trans and shifter in my 65 belvedere afx and would like to try a ss700 thank you.

Hi 65 Belvedere. Here are a few pics of the "Shifter", I assumed you meant the shifter assembly or Mechanism. The Shifter is a reproduction Pistol Grip Keisler included in their Kit. The Issues I have encountered are small but an annoyance as I have little time to fuss over logistics. 1). The Isolator fasteners included in the kit were 1/2"-12x1 I found I needed 7/16"-13x1 2). They haven't shipped my Speedo/Trans Gear 3). There were no Crossmember Fasteners included. I assume I need the 3/8-16x4 as the OEM type are. I am currently welding in a tunnel hump and as soon as I get my dowel pins I will dial in my bellhousing. The MAX TIR,(Total Indicated Runout) cannot be more than .005

Attached picture 7911382-002.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 06:15 AM

Sorry for the pic quality, I mocked up the trans to the X-member to ensure the shifter would protrude thru the new tunnel hump opening which is pre-cut and drilled for the trim ring/boot.

Attached picture 7911385-004.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 06:17 AM

Attached picture 7911387-003.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 11:43 AM

I am interested to see how well its fits for you. keep us posted.

interesting crossmember is that e-body only I wonder?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 03:40 PM

Quote:

I mocked up the trans to the X-member to ensure the shifter would protrude thru the new tunnel hump opening which is pre-cut and drilled for the trim ring/boot.

From experience, I always suggest you cut the basic shape for a 4 spd hump into the floor, mock up just the bellhousing,trans, and crossmember, obtain the approx. driveline angle your looking for, then trim any additional floor needed for clearance, then tack in the hump for a desired fit/clearance, then remove the transmission mock up, and finish off the floor mods....you'll thank yourself later for doing it that way.

Mike

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/04/13 09:46 PM

I always read your posts and you have helped me in the past. Thanks Mike,,I'll heed your advice!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/05/13 12:02 AM

looks good.was courios what all came with your kit,how long did it take to get,and finally what did it cost.cant wait to see more pics of your progress. thanks for your time.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/05/13 01:38 AM

Thanks Belvedere! I ordered the Kit in March 2013,,,I finally received it in Oct.2013. I think the current E-Body orders will be filled quickly but ask Keisler to make sure!! When I ordered mine the E-Body units were still being developed and corrections implemented due to problems with the B-Body units. The Kit consisted of the SS 700 Trans, The Keisler Alloy Bellhousing, 9.5" RAM Twin disc Clutch with aluminum Flywheel. Clutch/Brake pedal assembly, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hydraulic Clutch actuator assembly,(Slave cylinder), Crossmember, 1350 Driveshaft. Cost was $6,353,(Total includes shipping and Taxes). I paid for it in full in March, although Keisler asked for 1/2 payment, I went ahead and paid for it all. You will need a Machinist dial indicator, not the plunger type,,but a dial back type as used on Milling Machines for set-up,,0-15-0. Here is a pic. The indicator probe should be perpendicular to the face of the bellhousing's flange, then zeroed. The instructions state this clearly. This probe will cost you approx. 50-100 depending on the brand you choose. I like Starrett or Mitutoyo but they are pricey. You will also need a tool to remove the block dowel pins, I made my own,,but you can get one for 50-100 also. An old set of stamped steel,(Cast is difficult to weld) Vise grips, welder, and a slide hammer is what I used. An angle gauge is required to determine driveline angle, a cheap plastic protractor can be used. Hope this helps,,thanks again,,Eddie

Attached picture 7912296-starret.jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/06/13 01:48 AM

looks good looking forward to more posts of your progress.thanks for your time. belvedere.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/24/13 07:48 AM

So Far, so good.Dialed in the Bellhousing, I needed a .014 offset Dowel Pin to get < or = to .005(TIR) .010 Indicated ,, after that was accomplished, I mounted the RAM Twin Disc clutch, then the LGT. The SDC Serpentine Belt drive from Jerry and the TTI Headers should be here in a few weeks, then the body drop! Happy Thanksgiving&Merry Christmas

Attached picture 7934521-001.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 11/24/13 07:51 AM

pic 2

Attached picture 7934522-006.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 12/02/13 11:41 PM

Looks good so far. Keep us posted!

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 12/21/13 11:02 PM

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/02/14 09:42 AM

Brake & Clutch Pedal installed.(Thanks for the schematic Mike,,Dayclona), Wilwood Clutch Master.

Attached picture 7981623-021.JPG

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/02/14 09:48 AM

#2,,waiting on my TTI headers and the rest of my SD parts from Jerry. He's making a hose kit and his own custom pulleys,,I have the brackets and they are sweet!(SD Concepts B/RB Dodge Magnum V-8 serpentine belt drive kit) Getting very close to the body drop.

Attached picture 7981625-007.JPG
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/25/14 02:41 PM

Please this on-topic. That means, keep it tech related. There's thread in the General forum if you want to discuss the business/bankruptcy side of things. If this thread continues to veer off-topic, it'll get locked, which won't help anyone. Thank you.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8010497

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 01/27/14 07:59 PM

I see some of my posts were deleted. I will refrain from posting my results on this site. I'll be next door on Cuda Challenger or the Challenger Message Board. Edco440 OUT

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 04/19/14 09:26 AM

How did your e-body install turn out?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/12/14 04:58 PM

bump for more info.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/12/14 05:56 PM

Quote:

So Far, so good.Dialed in the Bellhousing, I needed a .014 offset Dowel Pin to get < or = to .005(TIR) .010 Indicated ,, after that was accomplished, I mounted the RAM Twin Disc clutch, then the LGT. The SDC Serpentine Belt drive from Jerry and the TTI Headers should be here in a few weeks, then the body drop! Happy Thanksgiving&Merry Christmas

Be sure to check that the face of the rear of the bellhousing is parallel with the crank flange, assuming there's no run-out there. I had to shim between my scattershield and block to get them parallel there. I'm guessing the back of the block was square, but the scattershield had some run-out which took it a few thousandths out of parallel. I used shims next to and on either side to bolts behind the main bolt that hold on the scatter shield between the block saver plate and the block. Many folks never check this, but it is important!

Also, how much power is that motor going to put out at what RPM with no scatter shield? Yikes!! Or, is that bellhousing SFI rated as explosion proof. Just a concern after seeing pictures of what an exploding flywheel and clutch can do to a car and a person.

Attached picture 8173923-UndercarrigeReassembly004(Large).jpg

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/12/14 11:53 PM

Looks good. My SS(LGT)-700 is working good now, Hammered pretty good on it last week at the track, but my reverse light switch quit working...

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/14/14 08:06 PM

Quote:

Looks good. My SS(LGT)-700 is working good now, Hammered pretty good on it last week at the track, but my reverse light switch quit working...

You have a thread on your whole experience w/this trans?

Like x-member hacking, etc.?

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 06/15/14 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You have a thread on your whole experience w/this trans?

Like x-member hacking, etc.?

Yes, it really was not setup to drop right in, but it seems to work pretty good.

Re: Keisler SS 700 - 02/20/16 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By edco440
I see some of my posts were deleted. I will refrain from posting my results on this site. I'll be next door on Cuda Challenger or the Challenger Message Board. Edco440 OUT

any update on the lgt install on your e-body?
© 2024 Moparts Forums