Moparts

Aluminum water pump housings B/RB

Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 05:01 AM

I've owned many a Mopar Performance aluminum water pump housing, but now I see cheaper stuff out there- CAT etc...

Are the CAT water pump housings good usable pieces?
Is there others?
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 05:58 AM

Quote:

I've owned many a Mopar Performance aluminum water pump housing, but now I see cheaper stuff out there- CAT etc...

Is there others?

beats me..I realy havent looked..

mine is a Mopar aluminum housing with a CVR pump..

I sold an aluminum housing that I had on the other engine for 50 bucks...if you dont mind a good used one look around for those deals..

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 06:08 AM

I just bought a brand new MoPar Performance housing, one of the heater hose holes was drilled and tapped at an angle.

Maybe the older ones had better tolerances, I don't know- but I've never had that problem before.... a little nit picky I guess.

I've never ran an "imitation" pump housing. I wonder how many there are, they are for sale all over- cheapy cheap!
Posted By: dOc …

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 06:14 AM

440S has one that has the inlet on the passenger side. That one is EZier to match-up to an aftermarket rad.

BUTTT ...you could plumb all that hot-water from the engine AND the hot-air from the driver to that STEEL holding tank in your RV !

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 01:23 PM

Quote:

440S has one that has the inlet on the passenger side. That one is EZier to match-up to an aftermarket rad.

BUTTT ...you could plumb all that hot-water from the engine AND the hot-air from the driver to that STEEL holding tank in your RV !

They don't make a fiberglass water pump housing do they?
Now what does THAT tell you..?!?!
Posted By: Hughes

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 04:11 PM

We, Hughes Engines, offer an aluminum water pump and housing(p/n 1830) that is supplied by PRW. It is an import but it fits really well and works good.

Attached picture 4794237-TheHughesLogofourth.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/05/08 11:33 PM

Quote:

Is there others?

CAT?

Chinese Aluminum Trash?
Posted By: Hemidavey

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/06/08 02:19 AM

We are buying ourselves out of a job! I'm going to stop buying imports whenever I can.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 11/06/08 02:54 AM

I used a 440 source one on my Road Runner. It was better quality than the MP piece I have on my Coronet. I don't mind paying more for N.A. stuff however I have been fleeced too many times by MP in the last 5 or more years, I cannot reward them for being screwups anymore.

Sheldon
Posted By: Simonic

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/16/08 09:10 PM

Has anybody got any experience of the aluminium housings available from either KMJ Performance or RacersAuctions?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/16/08 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is there others?

CAT?

Chinese Aluminum Trash?

Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/16/08 10:31 PM

passenger side outlets are for 73 and later assemblies...nevre have seen one.

try to fit one of those aluminium housing available with outlet on driver side on to 73 and later cars, would requiere relocate the steering pump.

Does somebdoy knows about 73 and laters aluminium housings ?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/16/08 10:35 PM

NEVERMIND!!! GOT THE SOURCE lol

http://www.440source.com/wpumphousings.htm
Posted By: maundmotorworks

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/16/08 10:37 PM

440 Source makes a housing with passenger side inlet for '73-up cars and for pickups. I have one in my shop right now. Nice piece! I use many of 440 Source's housings, and I have no quality issues to report at this time. Good stuff!
Posted By: Simonic

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/16/08 11:48 PM

Just had a look at the 440 Source link.
They do look to be really nice
Posted By: 4004spd

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 12:04 AM

My brother is using the 440 source housing, pump and thermostat neck. The pumps impeller lightly scraped the inside of the housing without using 2 gaskets for clearance. Also the bolt spacing was different between the thermostat neck and water pump housing...the bolt holes in the thermostat housing had to be widened quite a lot to be able to bolt it to the housing. The castings all looked nice but the machining was a bit off.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 01:05 AM

My MP alumn housing did the same thing with alum (edelbrock) pump,needed 2 gaskets to clear.
Posted By: NFURY8

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 01:27 AM

I have had the 440 source housing on the 440 in my Fury for a couple years now. Everything bolted on fine and it hasn't needed a thing since installed. Very happy!! Plan to use another on the 71 PowerWagon soon. I have had my fair share of MP junk also.
Posted By: 440sourcedotcom

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 05:25 PM

Quote:

My MP alumn housing did the same thing with alum (edelbrock) pump,needed 2 gaskets to clear.

The reason people are having the "scraping" issue with ours and Edelbrocks pumps is that they require a gasket that is at least .050" thick. Many of the gaskets on the market are made of thin material (.020-.030), and that's why people need to double them up.

The closer you can get the impeller to the machined area in the housing, the more efficient the pump will be, so we all try to get it as close as possible. However, you must use the correct gasket, or it will scrape slightly. Our part number 112-1008 is a nice thick one for about 6 bucks.
Posted By: MIRADAMANia

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 08:44 PM

How about including the gasket in the package?
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 09:09 PM

Quote:

And an option for a polished unit (incl. pump) like PRW?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/17/08 11:38 PM

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing.
Sure would eliminate some headaches, right?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/18/08 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason people are having the "scraping" issue with ours and Edelbrocks pumps is that they require a gasket that is at least .050" thick. Many of the gaskets on the market are made of thin material (.020-.030), and that's why people need to double them up.

The closer you can get the impeller to the machined area in the housing, the more efficient the pump will be, so we all try to get it as close as possible. However, you must use the correct gasket, or it will scrape slightly. Our part number 112-1008 is a nice thick one for about 6 bucks.

I must have gotten lucky? I am using one your AL housings and an EDDY pump, felpro gasket that I had laying around. Never even THOUGHT to test for clearance, but would certainly had discovered it during fan install. Mine does not rub. (???)
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/18/08 06:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing.
Sure would eliminate some headaches, right?

I thought mine did come with one when I ordered the pump/housing package for $120

somehow, I ended up with an extra water pump gasket!

Re: Aluminum water pump housings B/RB - 12/18/08 05:04 PM

Quote:

My Coupe was a brand new MP aluminum water pump housing and a brand new Edelbrock pump.

The impeller rubbed on the housing.

I ended up slightly filling a couple little edges of the impeller and all was well. It only touched in a couple of spots.
© 2024 Moparts Forums