Moparts

Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.!

Posted By: 67coronetman

Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 03:18 AM

First i am over the flowmaster drone in my car. So i am going with the Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers since i have TTI Headers from the articles i have read they do very well and sound very good has anyone out here used the Mufflers.They will be the 3" inlet & 3" outlet

Thanks .!

Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 03:42 AM

I have them on my 440 dually,3" in and out. They make the three inch versions with either a 3' core or 2 1/2" core. Iused the 3" core and they are still quieter than the 2 chamber flowmasters I had before.
Both my tailpipes exit out the passenger side,so it is a little load still,but with tailpipes out the back I would think they would be decent.
Keith

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 03:49 AM

Thanks i am glad to hear someone using them i am just over the flowmaster drone is just way to load.
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:05 AM

I have them behind a mild 383 in a '68 Satellite and a stock 440 in my '77 A38 Monaco. They sound great and not too loud on the interstate. Both cars have the original HP manifolds.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:12 AM

Good i am happy with this choice my car has a built 440 so i would say the sound will be great.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 02:31 PM

HOOKER AERO CHAMBERS
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 02:57 PM

Got the 3" (older full diameter all the way through)hemi turbos with a full 3 1/2 to 3" X pipe system on my 517. I know the Ultra flows are a little less restrictive but with that many cubes and 12:1 I have to keep the decibels down. Everybody loves the sound too.

There's a couple sound clips on Youtube...type in Wizerulz.

I also have a set of 3" Edelbrock RPM stainless that are similar to the Ultraflows but they Y internally from 1 to 2 back to 1. They do sound pretty nasty but not too loud behind my 11.8:1 414 small block stroker too. There's another clip under the same name as above.

Decibels are like the volume knob, tone is like the treble/bass knobs. You can have great tone without the volume and still have great performance.

There's nothing more annoying to me that a car/truck/motorcycle that is loud and slow at the same time, in a fast vehicle even if you're loud at WOT you drive out of earshot pretty quickly, when you're loud and slow you just make a lot of noise and linger too long....like a lawn mower
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 03:53 PM

i put them on my friends 72 fury wagon w/stock 360/manifolds,2.25" duals. it sounds great, not to loud and no drone.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 03:59 PM

I'm running the 2 1/2" long case (Hemi) Super Turbos behind my 383. Perfect for me. Not too loud, not to quiet, just right and no drone.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:00 PM

I have the super turbos on both my cars. My 340 car has 2.5" and my 440 car has 3", I think they sound great with TTI headers, I get told that all the time wih the thumbs up I get.
Here's recent(last week) crappy video I made out at bonneville, you can kinda hear the exhaust.

It's perfect on the street because it is quiet until you put your foot into it.
web page

Here's one on the salt.
Had my Ipod on with ear plugs under my helment, so I was singing to myself . it's just a tease as I couldn't hold my little cheap camera and drive. Next time hope to have A GO PRO!
web page
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

It's perfect on the street because it is quiet until you put your foot into it.

Exactly what I like about them. Your video is a pretty good representation about the noise in the car....much louder behind the car would love to heard that video from outside the car.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:33 PM

Careful, the 3” Super Turbos are not immune to drone for certain combinations. Recently switched to manifolds from headers on a 3” TTI x-pipe system, no other changes, ended up louder and with an intolerable drone. Corrected by adding resonators to tail pipes. Recent thread on this subject

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:37 PM

Nice sounding rides.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:41 PM

Well this is what i wanted to hear glad other like them i am sure i will to thanks for all the imput.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:43 PM

Car sounds good love the motor sound.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 04:48 PM

Glad to get the imput so i can get ready for whatever i need to do.

I went with the Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers cause of a few people i have talked to love the sound and performance they said was the same just without the bad drone inside the car.

Plus TTI says those mufflers are a great combo with the headers i have on my 66 satellite.!

Quote:

Careful, the 3” Super Turbos are not immune to drone for certain combinations. Recently switched to manifolds from headers on a 3” TTI x-pipe system, no other changes, ended up louder and with an intolerable drone. Corrected by adding resonators to tail pipes. Recent thread on this subject

Attached picture 7259321-IMG_20120514_174943.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 05:35 PM

I ran them on my 383 Dart back around 2000 and I liked them for the same reason. They were not to noisey and I liked how you could still hear the lumpy cam sound as it was just not insane loud. Now I run the Ultra-flows on my 63 but thats because I race my 63 a few times a year through the pipes and wanted the best flowing muffler. But the Super Turbo's are a very good muffler. I would run them if I was not worring about every tenth of performance. Ron
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/21/12 06:01 PM

I run a set of the long 2.5" 17748 or 17749 (Hemi super turbo) on my '64Dog. At first it felt like they were too quiet, but after a few months they turned just right. I make a lot of long trips and they don't drone. I've had admiring comments from grownup hot rodders. I like them so much I put one on my '75 Mercedes 280! Quieter than the old Corvair turbo muffler but has a really nice sound.

R.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 04:55 AM

I guess there are not many turbo muffler fans.!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 01:35 PM

Quote:

I guess there are not many turbo muffler fans.!

Superbird,Super Turbo
62 Savoy 3" TTI,Super Turbo
93 Dakota 318,Super Turbo
2001 Jeep Cherokee 5.0,Super Turbo
93 Chrysler T/C,Super Turbo
2007 Monte Carlo SS,Super Turbo

I guess some do !

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 02:22 PM

I've met comparatively few people (outside these forums of course...how's that George? )that seem to have more than a passing understanding of exhaust backpressure and how it relates to a 4 cycle exhaust system. If a conventional muffler (turbo or otherwise) is trully "restrictive" It is logical that you would be able to measure positive pressure against the walls of the muffler case because the gasses can't get out as fast as they are coming in. We've probably all seen 'blown out' mufflers or cases that have been swollen (if only slightly) by excessive exhaust pressure.

Also, more surface area (which includes the pipe walls themselves and absorbtion is evident because the pipes get hot) there is in a system can actually aid power because by absorbing the exhuast heat you are cooling and slowing the energy that remains in the system until it exhusts to the atmosphere. EX On a Big B or E body with a 3" system there's a LOT of pipe upstream of the mufflers that aids in reducing the remaining energy before it ever gets to the case. Also, the net effect is really at what point does the exhuast slow the rate of acceleration of the motor? Assuming no tire slip, a given car/motor going from idle to
WOT with 3.55 gears vs say 4.30 gears, a more restrictive muffler will have less of an effect on acceleration because the peak volume of air moving through the engine meters through the system CFM per second at a lower rate.

Some People erroneously assume that flowmasters are 'restrictive' because they flow less CFM in a side by side 'free flow test'; this really has little if any bearing on what an actual 4 cycle exhaust system does), a Flowmaster (and similar designs) operate very much like a check valve in that they are designed (in theory) to capture and channel the FORWARD moving" exhaust pulses while reducing the reversion effects of the vaccuum created behind each exhuast pulse as the valve is closing behind a high velocity stream. In an open pipe atmospheric air naturally fills the void and as we know air has mass that must be 'pushed' through the pipe before the exhaust exits the system.

I don't mean this as a 'dissertation' at all, I'm just pointing out there's a lot of HYPE and "seat of the pants" testimonials that don't always stand-up 'real world' to sound engineering logic ....and timeslips. On a race car, sure but on the street...

opinions vary of course
Posted By: gch

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 02:34 PM

THanks for reminding me how dumb I am Bobby

I have run the Super turbo in one form or another on all my vehicles for the last 20 years(except the vette-Corsa).

Have one on my V6 Dakota and does'nt sound terrible with the V6 rasp.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 02:38 PM

I need to reword it I guess, I didn't mean it to sound that way, it's just I know so many people think Bigger is better, open and LOUDER is ALWAYS an impovement (regardless of engine size, weight or gearing) and they (through misleading advertising) correlate pressurized ambient temerature "free flow" airflow to what's actually going on in a 4 cycle exhaust system.
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 03:16 PM

Well, I'm not a fluid dynamics genius or anything, but by the way you describe it, it sounds to me the ideal exhaust would be a larger single pipe / single muffler. Correct me please if I'm wrong becouse this kinda thing facinates me.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 03:39 PM

Neither am I, not by a long shot! But I think it's been proven (especially with the turbo crowd) that a properly merged big single system can make as much power as a dual and typically can be made lighter or more strtegically routed to aid weight distribution.

Many of the mid 90's early 2000's F-BOdy GM's still run big 3 1/2 - 4" single systems because (and having owned one and worked for SLP on Many of them) the underside of those cars doesn't lend itself to running a true dual system...it's doesn't seem to hurt he performance at all.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 03:49 PM

Look i didn't want to get everyone all pumped up i just wanted to know if anyone has used the Dyno max super turbos on there cars and how they liked them.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 03:59 PM

Mark,

No worries mate! It's all good! We're all friends in here so we just say what's on our minds.

So How's the 431 shortblock coming? Just talked to Hollis last week about my Rocky, you still thinking about sending your E-heads to him for a little 'respiratory enhancement'?

I'll be up in Oak Ridge next week, shoot me your number maybe I can come by and meet ya.

Another practical thing about Backpressure is (generally) the further the resistance occurs from the exhaust valve the less impact it has and there is a distinction between backpressure which effectively slows the acceleration rate of the piston on the power stroke and Dilution/reversion (which generally is where exhaust that can't escape the port is 'trapped' in the combustion chamber dilutes the incoming charge during overlap.) Also, even atmospheric pressure is 'backpressure' ...but as it is a phyisical constant (a fact of life) it's effect is sometimes 'ignored'. but the negative pulses behind each high pressure 'slug' of exhaust is key to achieving a basic understanding the flowmaster (and similar designs) exhaust theory.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 04:43 PM

Sounds good will send a PM to you.!
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 10:45 PM

i have them on my 74 duster with a mild 400. 3" x pipe, i reduced it after the X, before the mufflers, 2.5" super turbos. i like the way it sounds. sometimes i wish it was louder, but when i take it for a long ride, with the windows up you hear some drone in overdrive, and im happy then its not louder. its not bad though. i like to change up my exhausts, sometimes i wish i went with the full 3" superturbos and reduced it after them, so maybe ill have to try them. im running stainless 2.5" a body tips.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/22/12 11:15 PM

Love them!
Had flowmaster 40's with full 2 1/2 exhaust on my Charger thanks to the PO and the drone was terrible at 40-50 and too damn loud all the other times. I bought the long Super Turbos and no drone, nice sound and the wife will now ride with me! Good price to boot!
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/23/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

First i am over the flowmaster drone in my car. So i am going with the Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers since i have TTI Headers from the articles i have read they do very well and sound very good has anyone out here used the Mufflers.They will be the 3" inlet & 3" outlet

Thanks .!

have the 3" on my dart and love them.. nice deep sound, not too loud and no drone.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/23/12 02:51 AM

I just put my favorite little single chamber mufflers back on my car the other night. I LOVE IT!!! No drone and totally 110% obnoxious.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/23/12 02:22 PM

I was running the 2 1/2" Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. They sounded good but had 2 1/4" passages on the inside and with a center outlet restricting flow on the first turn they stunk as far as performance went. I had a thread on this a while back and the older versions of the Super Turbos did not have the smaller internal passages. Heck why not run a restrictor plate on your carburetor too? Switched to Ultra Flos and car pulls way harder. Its just a tad louder then before and no drone:

http://billsgarage.info/BarracudaVideos.html

Attached picture 7261841-SuperTurbo1.JPG
Posted By: mark7171

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/23/12 04:59 PM

My 71 cuda has header and 50's series big block original flowmasters. Thay are great sounding mufflers. Drone is some other problem associated with 40's and muffler placement.

My 85 c10 has headers and dynomx super turbos. They are not quiet as advertised. Mounted under the cabin they have as much resonance as any muffler. They were half the cost.

A friends 350/350 impala has summit turbo mufflers that were $12 a peice and sound fantastic.

Good luck. Happy motoring.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/23/12 06:27 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the reply and the car sounds great in your video.!

But i have to disagree with you i just had them installed and the car is way queiter and has a great sound at idle and i don't see any performance diff in my car there is almost no drone noise at all and cruising now is a pleasure and they are cut off at the rearend 3" pipe in to 3" inlet & 3" outlet plus i had a H-pipe installed & the cars sounds better to me now ((plus lots of noise don't make it faster.!))

Quote:

I was running the 2 1/2" Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. They sounded good but had 2 1/4" passages on the inside and with a center outlet restricting flow on the first turn they stunk as far as performance went. I had a thread on this a while back and the older versions of the Super Turbos did not have the smaller internal passages. Heck why not run a restrictor plate on your carburetor too? Switched to Ultra Flos and car pulls way harder. Its just a tad louder then before and no drone:

http://billsgarage.info/BarracudaVideos.html

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/23/12 09:15 PM

I agree i had a new system put on today 3" to the rear and a h-pipe man that car sounds great.! I love it
Posted By: sickhemi

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 12:51 AM

i had the 21/2 super turbos on my dart 440 with a 528 solid cam sound awesome not real loud like flowmasters which i dont like. i can hear my car radio with the super turbos!! they gets pretty loud when you stomp on it but quiet at idle and not too loud cruising

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 01:53 AM

I agree mine are the same it really sounds good driving or at idle i am very glad i did go with the Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers i used the 3" in & 3" out i should have done this along time ago.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 02:39 AM

The 3" hemis are hard to beat and they are a larger case ( length, width And Height) than the 2 1/2's, and they flow a whole lot better. If you look at the 2 1/2's the case is pretty skinny and as such I'm willing to bet the 2 1/4 internals help the flow. If the case were as tall as the 3" theyed be much better.

Mopar muscle did s test between 3" old rusty hemi turbos and brand new ultra flows and the 67 coronet with a 630+ HP 493 ran like (IIRC on it's best run) .17 seconds faster in a less than true Apples to Apples testing. They were also several dbs louder. With new muffs I think the results would have been closer. I love the hemi turbos they're quiet enough and perform well enough to make a 700hp 12:1 motor quiet enough to drive through my neighborhood at any time of night, and I couldn't do that with flowmasters or ultraflows. As for feeling the mufflers holding my motor back, well I cant feel it and I'm packing some pretty respectable power levels.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 02:52 AM

Yea i looked at those after i had already got my Dynomax super turbo mufflers that is what i had on my 67 GTX back in the 80! But i must say these dynomax super turbo mufflers sound very good and as far as i can tell my cars pulls just as hard but alot quieter.! And yes your car is a killer street ride very nice.!

Quote:

The 3" hemis are hard to beat and they are a larger case ( length, width And Height) than the 2 1/2's, and they flow a whole lot better. If you look at the 2 1/2's the case is pretty skinny and as such I'm willing to bet the 2 1/4 internals help the flow. If the case were as tall as the 3" theyed be much better.

Mopar muscle did s test between 3" old rusty hemi turbos and brand new ultra flows and the 67 coronet with a 630+ HP 493 ran like (IIRC on it's best run) .17 seconds faster in a less than true Apples to Apples testing. They were also several dbs louder. With new muffs I think the results would have been closer. I love the hemi turbos they're quiet enough and perform well enough to make a 700hp 12:1 motor quiet enough to drive through my neighborhood at any time of night, and I couldn't do that with flowmasters or ultraflows. As for feeling the mufflers holding my motor back, well I cant feel it and I'm packing some pretty respectable power levels.

Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 05:55 AM

Dynomax super turbos are my favorite muffler. They sound great on everything!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 03:05 PM

And to add they sound even better with an x-pipe.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 03:20 PM

I was going to do the x-pipe but under my car it would have been a little work so i did the h-pipe so far sounds great .!

Quote:

And to add they sound even better with an x-pipe.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/24/12 11:42 PM

I will post a video of my car now with the DynoMax Super turbo Mufflers on youtube in the next few days with my other videos of my car just to show how nice of a rummble it has now compaired to the video of it with the flowmasters.! I aint ever going back to the tin can sound again.!

This video is with Flowmasters

http://youtu.be/MqU-XnuUHkU

http://youtu.be/iLMuETuCen4

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/25/12 08:30 PM

I am very pleased with the way they sound is that your car if very nice.!

Quote:

Dynomax super turbos are my favorite muffler. They sound great on everything!

Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/26/12 06:23 AM

Another satisfied customer here , been on my RR with 383 and 440, one of the best for over 11 years. Will use them again on my Olds when I drop that 500 Cad engine in it.....

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/26/12 08:00 PM

Awesome gald to hear it i made the correct choice for sure.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/28/12 07:07 PM

Should have a new video with the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on here soon the diff is like night & day and the car still pulls just as hard just not all that tin can sounding junk.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 04:29 AM

New video of my car with Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.

http://youtu.be/op9hfrhr1pA
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

I am very pleased with the way they sound is that your car if very nice.!

Yes, that was my car. I sold it a couple years ago.
Thank you!
Posted By: Mad_Scientist

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 06:12 AM

What is the difference in case lengths for? There is a 14 and a 20 inch. Is the 14 louder?

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 03:03 PM

To be real honest i really don't know i would think the longer ones would be more quiet.!

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 03:16 PM

I have the short case on my Dart , it has a nasty drone , I want to try and fit the long case under the car, but against my ultimate goal of being as close to stock as possible for the PS drags, I am going to put an X pipe on the car to see if the drone goes away .

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 04:20 PM

Ok after checking my are the 14" Dynomax Super turbo Mufflers. i have 3" pipe from the headers to the Mufflers with turn down that are turn outward just a little and i have a H-Pipe and its so much quieter inside & outside than the Flowmasters ever where and the drone noise is very very little.!

Quote:

What is the difference in case lengths for? There is a 14 and a 20 inch. Is the 14 louder?

Attached picture 7270032-100_2553.JPG

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/29/12 04:23 PM

I have the 14" Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers with a H-Pipe and 3" to the rear of the car with turn downs and its very quiet compared to the flowmasters its night & day. Now if you have any sheet metal work that was not secured good its going to make noise i fixed mine for the most part.!

Quote:

I have the short case on my Dart , it has a nasty drone , I want to try and fit the long case under the car, but against my ultimate goal of being as close to stock as possible for the PS drags, I am going to put an X pipe on the car to see if the drone goes away .

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/30/12 02:37 PM

The 14" will be louder than the longer case ones.Run the longest case muffler you can for noise reduction.

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 06/30/12 08:55 PM

I already have the 14" ones and to be honest they are real nice sounding & for the most part queit and i really enjoy them but i should have gone with the long ones or a good set of Hemi mufflers.! Here is a video of my car now with the 14" Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.

Quote:

The 14" will be louder than the longer case ones.Run the longest case muffler you can for noise reduction.

Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

I already have the 14" ones and to be honest they are real nice sounding & for the most part queit and i really enjoy them but i should have gone with the long ones or a good set of Hemi mufflers.! Here is a video of my car now with the 14" Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.

Be carefule about the "HEMI" mufflers. I bought a pair from an advertiser here on Moparts. I figured that with 635 HP my HEMI would be louder than the originals which I remember, they sounded GREAT! Well, they must have been reproduction of Imperial mufflers. You couldn't hear the 540c.i. motor in a convertable while cruising, AT ALL! I installed 20" Dynomac Ultaflows and no drone, almost original Chrysler sound!

Quote:

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 02:20 PM

Sorry to hear that and yes i do know what you mean that happens alot anymore we seem to have a big increase in china making alot of knock offs .
Glad to hear that all is good now.!

Quote:

Quote:

Be carefule about the "HEMI" mufflers. I bought a pair from an advertiser here on Moparts. I figured that with 635 HP my HEMI would be louder than the originals which I remember, they sounded GREAT! Well, they must have been reproduction of Imperial mufflers. You couldn't hear the 540c.i. motor in a convertable while cruising, AT ALL! I installed 20" Dynomac Ultaflows and no drone, almost original Chrysler sound!

Quote:

Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 03:33 PM

On the same engine with everything the same, the 20" case Super Turbos measured about 2 dBA at idle and 3 to 5 dBa less at higher engine speeds, all at static conditions. Under load is slightly different but the 20" case version is most definitely quieter and less prone to drone.
Even though they are quieter, they allow as much air to pass through due to the longer internal sections that enable the air to smooth out after the flow reversal (my theory anyway).
Tom
Posted By: Prince_Valiant

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 03:52 PM

I've got the dynomaxes on the LRT....

It's a trick little exhaust...3" from the headers back, to an x-pipe, then 3" up and out, all mandrel bent.

I just had some work done by a local mopar shop and the owner went out of his way to tell me how much he loved the sound the exhaust makes...

It's loud enough to command attention in a parking lot driving around, but reasonable enough while driving/low throttle...but step on it and it gets impressively loud!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 04:32 PM

Nice i would love to hear a set of the longer ones and see the differance i have a friend building a 572 stroker Hemi i think he is looking at those.!

Quote:

On the same engine with everything the same, the 20" case Super Turbos measured about 2 dBA at idle and 3 to 5 dBa less at higher engine speeds, all at static conditions. Under load is slightly different but the 20" case version is most definitely quieter and less prone to drone.
Even though they are quieter, they allow as much air to pass through due to the longer internal sections that enable the air to smooth out after the flow reversal (my theory anyway).
Tom

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 04:34 PM

Mandrel bent pipes that is what i want on my next motor 493 Stroker!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/01/12 05:36 PM

67, he needs to look at the larger case versions (5" by 11" with 3" inlet and outlets) if he can still find them. The smaller cases ones (~4.75" by 10.25") with only 2.5" inlet and outlet bushings will have a tough time flowing enough exhaust gas to make the engine happy at higher loads and rpms.

Need a part number? 17769 is the offset center version that will fit the Hemi-powered car.
Tom
Posted By: eightlitermopar

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/02/12 01:18 AM

I have the walker exhaust 17749 on my daily driver grandma coronet, but it's just a mild 318. It's pretty quiet. I believe they are the same as the dynomax and a lot cheaper.

Anyway, here is a chart I got off moparts a while ago. I will be changing my flowmasters to these on my 383 RR. I love the flowmaster drone when driving alone, but you can't talk to anyone in the car.

Attached picture 7273357-6604983-MufflerComparisionChart.jpg

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/02/12 01:20 AM

Nice i will pass on the info.!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/02/12 03:17 AM

You mean my charts from a few years ago? :)

For information, the bottom three are Magnaflow mufflers so the data is directly relatable to the current offerings.

Attached picture 7273570-picsilentpower.jpg
Posted By: Prince_Valiant

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/02/12 03:31 AM

Quote:

Mandrel bent pipes that is what i want on my next motor 493 Stroker!

A quick vid idling a light revving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WnwQsji3Qs
Posted By: eightlitermopar

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/02/12 04:23 AM

Quote:

You mean my charts from a few years ago? :)

For information, the bottom three are Magnaflow mufflers so the data is directly relatable to the current offerings.

that would be the one

I have referred to it many times!

eightlitermopar
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/02/12 10:29 PM

i use to like the super turbos until i tried a set of the dynomax ultra flows now thats a muffler!

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/03/12 03:32 AM

Sweet sounding truck very cool.!
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.! - 07/03/12 03:35 AM

I just use some cheap summit ' bullit racing mufflers ' in conjunction with whatever muffler I'm using at the time. Old trick to eliminate drone.. just my
© 2024 Moparts Forums