Moparts

340 oil filter adapter

Posted By: 65dodgebob

340 oil filter adapter - 06/17/12 04:02 AM

is there a foolproof way to seal this thing up? had it apart to fix a leak,used a new gasket, but leaks like a sieve now! anyone have a torque spec for the large bolt that holds it on? thanks!
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/17/12 04:16 AM

Put a regular filter mount on it and use a short filter..
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/17/12 04:52 AM

Same here. I got rid of the darn thing. If you insist on using it, use the mopar gasket kit. I could never get enough space to get a torque wrench on it so I tightened it as tight as I could get it within reason. I have heard of some people saying the bolt is too long and they had to shorten it because it was bottoming out but I never ran into that myself. Remember there are 3 gaskets. One on the block and two on the bolt.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/17/12 05:29 AM

Some kits have two gaskets, the inner 'two' are connected with spokes like a wagon wheel.
Posted By: 1970sixpak

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/17/12 06:51 AM

Torque it to 50. Buy the mopar kit and use the 2 small ones from kit and buy the felpro one for the large gasket from local parts store. The large felpro one is a little thicker and is only a couple of bucks.
Posted By: Steve340

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/18/12 02:08 AM

The problem is when you use that extra thick inner gasket. It bottoms out way before the outer gasket and you think you got it tight but the outer gasket still does not have enough pressure on it. I would put some putty on the inner mating surfaces and then temporarily install it and then remove it and see how thick the putty is. That will tell you how thick the inner gasket should be.
Posted By: busboy

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/18/12 03:07 AM

What the heck does a "regular filter mount" look like? I've never seen one! My 90 degree adapter just puked out half the oil on the garage floor. Made up the big gasket, it's holding fine, now the smaller one at the head of the bolt is leaking like a sieve
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/18/12 03:26 AM

Quote:

The problem is when you use that extra thick inner gasket. It bottoms out way before the outer gasket and you think you got it tight but the outer gasket still does not have enough pressure on it. I would put some putty on the inner mating surfaces and then temporarily install it and then remove it and see how thick the putty is. That will tell you how thick the inner gasket should be.

Excellent idea!. Some of those inner gaskets are very thick
Posted By: fiddlerfingers

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/18/12 07:31 PM

I bet your trying to use a Mopar Performance aluminum adapter huh? They suck!!! There milling is aweful and causes them to leak. I tried one and couldnt get it to work so I bought a cast iron one off of ebay and it sealed without a hitch. The guy at my local dodge parts department told me everyone he has sold gets brought back...

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/19/12 04:28 AM

Sixpack, don't have a part number for that felpro gasket do you? Local parts place couldn't come up with one.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/19/12 07:17 AM

Quote:

What the heck does a "regular filter mount" look like

a base plate and the threaded adapter. http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoFsdUS3M-gSsQGBcnUcYx1FEbSOGIOfvPbOEdmoS9bVyJxCKJlw

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 06/21/12 11:50 PM

Found one! FelPro #70522, replaces #3671314, for the adapter to block gasket. It's a bit thicker than the Mopar factory one.
Posted By: mrb

Re: 340 oil filter adapter - 10/04/12 11:18 PM

I saw one of your old posts responses regarding a 340 engine, 90 degree oil filter adapter gasket set. You came up with part # 70522 felpro. Thats just one. How could I find the (oil pressure relief) bolt gaskets? 1 is copper and other cork? NAPA can't locate the other two.

Hope you can help.

71 Chally convert.
70 'Cuda 440-6
Former cars: 68 formula S 383 4 speed convertible
70 T/A challenger SIX PAK Mr. Norm's
( yellow one in the six pack magazine pg84)
68 formula S 340 auto.
70 grand coupe convertible 318
© 2024 Moparts Forums