Moparts

Engine Components - Restore or Replace???

Posted By: 440charger70

Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 12:08 AM

I am rebuilding the engine of my 70 RT and am trying to put the costs together. All the engine components are good, but I want new ones as the engine is being fully rebuilt.

My question is if I am going to pay more to have the current parts rebuilt/refurbished or to buy new and trade in the cores?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Budget is running low!

Thanks!
Posted By: Dan Halen

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 12:16 AM

If your components are good, what's wrong with freshening them up?

Seems it would be cheaper, if no repair work is needed.

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 12:49 AM

Any idea on the cost of having a part freshened up or who can do this work?
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 01:00 AM

well - what part are you refering too?
There are many very qualified moparts members that actively advertise on here - so it shouldnt be hard to find folks....

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 01:41 AM

I am looking at:
* Steering Pump
* A/C Compressor
* Alternator
* Starter
* Brake Booster & Master Cylinder
* Wiper motor

If I am forgetting anything, it would be in the same ball park as these...

If there is a reputible member on here that can do this, it would be awesome! Moparts members know their stuff more than a lot of mechanics out there!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 01:47 AM

Those are pretty much considered accessories. They shouldn't be too hard to have refurbished by people on this site or our sponsers. If you aren't worried about date codes most of that stuff can be bought at the local parts store.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 02:09 AM

Quote:

I am looking at:
* Steering Pump
* A/C Compressor
* Alternator
* Starter
* Brake Booster & Master Cylinder
* Wiper motor

If I am forgetting anything, it would be in the same ball park as these...

If there is a reputible member on here that can do this, it would be awesome! Moparts members know their stuff more than a lot of mechanics out there!

here are some options and suggestions. For the steering pump, if it is quiet and not leaking, I'd clean it well and give it a coat of SG black. If you have problems later, its not hard to change with a parts store reman.

For the AC compressor, its pretty expensive to change after its charged. I'd get it rebuilt or better yet replace with a lighter Sanden compressor. Bouchillon or Classic Auto Air could help with either I believe.

For the alternator, clean and re-use is OK... just carry a spare on long trips! Parts store reman is the lowest cost replacement however quality seems to be variable. A Powermaster reman (Mancini) is more expensive but should be more reliable. Personally, I'd probably use a Powermaster for stock type replacement and keep the original for emergency.

For the starter, the later "mini's" from a Magnum work really well. They are lighter, use less power and spin the engine faster. Lots of folks have good luck with a JY starter. Parts store reman is another option or a new one either copy of the Nippendenso or a Nippendenso. Mancini and 440 Source carry the new Nippendenso or lower cost copies. Both are advertisers. If funds are tight, and the old one works, just clean it up. As long as you are running manifolds, its not too hard to change if needed. Different story with headers.

For the brake booster your local parts store can likley get a reman. A reman master should be available also except I prefer new for the master. I'd go ahead and change both.

For the wiper motor, Jules, a member of this board, does a really nice re-build. The 2 speeds are available from the parts store. If the one you have works OK, I'd consider cleaning it up and re-installing.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 02:22 AM

Some good advice already, but it really depends on your wants and needs; the BEST way to restore a collector car is always to rebuild/refurbish the original, factory installed, date coded stuff rather than substitute aftermarket or cheap parts store rebuilt stuff.

Dave
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 04:43 AM

Whichever way you go be SURE to keep ALL of the original date correct parts you have (nearly everything is date coded down to the belts, hoses, plug wires, etc.). In some cases they can add substantially to your car, both in desirability/collectability and value.

Posted By: bonefish

Re: Engine Components - Restore or Replace??? - 06/16/12 03:06 PM

if it,s not broke,dont fix it,clean it up and run it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums